Confirmed with Link: [OTT/MIN] Senators trade a 6th round pick in 2014 for Matt Kassian.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
and stone...and greening and condra in the 7th...but yeah, we'd rather have kassian then stone,condra,greening etc, right?

Meh we have so many prospects at the moment that the low chance of finding another good one in the 6th was pretty much worth trading for Kassian.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
and stone...and greening and condra in the 7th...but yeah, we'd rather have kassian then stone,condra,greening etc, right?

It's a 6th round pick in a weak draft. This isn't exactly crippling our future.

But he was picked up for this reason:

Its a worthwhile deal though if guys like Patrick Wiercioch and Chris Phillips don't have to drop the gloves anymore. That was a disturbing trend. Love that guys are sticking up for their teammates but we need these guys on the ice and not in the box for 19 minutes. 5 minutes I can live with but the officials aren't going to let it happen.

My point is that it's hard to be mad that this cost us a "coveted 6th round pick." If you want to be mad, go ahead.

GK

Not Jeeks
Apr 2, 2010
Banff
Actually really happy with this deal. Fresh start. Should be a fun energy guy to watch, also new number to look at :)

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
I'd agree with your assessment besides point d) since I know nothing of his personality but I'll take your word for it.

Its a worthwhile deal though if guys like Patrick Wiercioch and Chris Phillips don't have to drop the gloves anymore. That was a disturbing trend. Love that guys are sticking up for their teammates but we need these guys on the ice and not in the box for 19 minutes. 5 minutes I can live with but the officials aren't going to let it happen.

I actually agree. Seeing Phillips and then Wiercioch having to step up was nice but at the same time it was probably the breaking point for Murray.

Berserker*

I haven't seen him play so I don't know what to expect from him. But at this point, I probably would have gone in another direction.

If Murray was looking for a pure enforcer, then he should have just targeted Yablonski. Yablonski is a free agent so we wouldn't have had to give up assets for him and he actually had decent straight line speed and was a good agitator so he could contribute in other ways than just fighting.

If Murray was looking for an enforcer who could play a bit, I would have targeted PC Labrie. Labrie may not be as prominent of a fighter as some of the other enforcers but he does have a bit of puck skill.

Either way I won't know whether this is a good or bad trade until I have seen Kassian play a few games.

source

Jul 13, 2008
Has Murray commented yet? For a tough guy, he doesn't have that many penalty minutes.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
I'd agree with your assessment besides point d) since I know nothing of his personality but I'll take your word for it.

How likely is he even going to be on the ice when something like that happens?

Both Wier and Phillip's 19 minutes in penalties were because of split second decisions after a bad hit by the opposing team. It's unlikely Kassian is even going to be on the ice when something happens.

source

Jul 13, 2008
How likely is he even going to be on the ice when something like that happens?

Both Wier and Phillip's 19 minutes in penalties were because of split second decisions after a bad hit by the opposing team. It's unlikely Kassian is even going to be on the ice when something happens.

The argument would be that the Bruins player would think twice about making that kind of hit.

Except the hit wasn't all that dirty, and it was Chris Neil who got hit.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
It's a 6th. Not really something to be concerned about.
As mentioned - waiver pickups restrict what you can do with the player. He can be sent down to Bingo as well I believe (can't remember how long a player stays clear after passing through) if necessary. And at some point someone thought of him as a valid 2nd round pick, so maybe a fresh start and new coach could bring that out.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Would have preferred him as a waiver pick-up (like anyone, obv.), but I like it b/c I always like having a scrapper in the line-up. Some people don't see it as a need, but I do and I'm glad he's going to be here to help.

Honestly, one of the best moments as a Sens fan for me was McGrattan's first fight. That fight signalled an organizational change.

Hope it all works out. I think Paulrus knows how to use the enforcer - and it made a difference in the NYR series IMO. Win or not, it made a difference.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
I haven't seen him play so I don't know what to expect from him. But at this point, I probably would have gone in another direction.

If Murray was looking for a pure enforcer, then he should have just targeted Yablonski. Yablonski is a free agent so we wouldn't have had to give up assets for him and he actually had decent straight line speed and was a good agitator so he could contribute in other ways than just fighting.

If Murray was looking for an enforcer who could play a bit, I would have targeted PC Labrie. Labrie may not be as prominent of a fighter as some of the other enforcers but he does have a bit of puck skill.

Either way I won't know whether this is a good or bad trade until I have seen Kassian play a few games.

We get it, you love Yablonski..

But he's gone for a reason, that ship has sailed and we're onto something new now! Accept it!

WhiteLight*

Stupid trade. Horrible, because

1-Kassian can't play hockey and is worse than about 20 or more forwards the Sens have playing pro in NA
2-Mark Stone, Mikael Wikstrand, etc.
3-He could have been picked up on waivers.

Stupid Murray is stupid

pt_mck

Jul 1, 2005
Ottawa
Not a bad pickup

Better than having Phillips or Weircioch trying to drop the gloves against the likes of McQuaid

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Stupid trade. Horrible, because

1-Kassian can't play hockey and is worse than about 20 or more forwards the Sens have playing pro in NA
2-Mark Stone, Mikael Wikstrand, etc.
3-He could have been picked up on waivers.

Stupid Murray is stupid
Your second argument is so bad.

Should we have traded a 4th round pick instead? After all, we haven't had a 4th rounder develop to a full time NHL player since 2001.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
People need to understand that if we picked him up on waivers we couldn't send him to the AHL if we wanted to (which I would suspect he will spend most of his time there).

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Not a bad pickup

Better than having Phillips or Weircioch trying to drop the gloves against the likes of McQuaid
In both those situations, it still would have been those two dropping the gloves because:

a) They were both the closest Senator to the situation, and when you're defending a teammate, it's just a split-second reaction
b) Unlikely Kassian would even have been on the ice because he kinda sucks at playing hockey

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
This!!!

People need to understand that if we picked him up on waivers we couldn't send him to the AHL if we wanted to (which I would suspect he will spend most of his time there).

Now we have a big boy down in the A can be called up as needed - nobody is taking away Zibby's ice this way and he can learn the ropes of the Sens org in Bingo while he watches over Prince, DaCosta, etc...

If we picked him up via waivers then he would have had to remain on the NHL roster and THAT would have been dumb.

He may never see the Ottawa Sens roster this year or ever but he is a guy that we can use if required

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
If its any consolation, he beat up Lucic a couple years ago, and that moderator on the Minny board (FEL 96?) seems to believe he can play a regular shift.

Hell, he does have pedigree, which doesn't mean much, but hes 26 so he might hve some untapped potential.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
My opinion:

a) Waste of a roster spot for a guy that sucks at playing hockey
b) Waste of an asset (6th round pick) for a guy that sucks at playing hockey
c) Waste of an asset for a guy we could have picked up on waivers
d) The guy is a bit of a douchecanoe

I'm with AP.

At least it's jut a 6th: near-worthless pick, but we got a near-worthless player in exchange.

You get what you pay for.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Now we have a big boy down in the A can be called up as needed - nobody is taking away Zibby's ice this way and he can learn the ropes of the Sens org in Bingo while he watches over Prince, DaCosta, etc...

If we picked him up via waivers then he would have had to remain on the NHL roster and THAT would have been dumb.

He may never see the Ottawa Sens roster this year or ever but he is a guy that we can use if required
He's starting in Ottawa...

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario

Murray drafted Darren Kramer in the 6th round, was that for his hockey skills?

With Smith, Methot and Gryba all playing important minutes, the job of keeping the other team honest falls on Neil. He really can't be expected to take on heavyweights on a regular basis or act a a full time policeman.

Kassian provides MacLean a response to 4th liners like Orr, Thorton, MacLaren, etc without losing in the penalty trade off that follows.

It also might give players pause for thought before doing something stupid knowing a guy like Kassian is sitting on the bench.

I fully realize Kassian doesn't bring great hockey skills. However it has become obvious losing players like Phillips and Wiercoich for 19 minutes in a game isn't in the best interest of the team either.

In the NE Boston is the benchmark, Buffalo, Toronto and to an extent Montreal have added fighters, Ottawa is just following suit.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad