Waived: [OTT] F Zack MacEwen waived by the Senators (cleared)

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite

IMG_0203.gif

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
I'd rather him fight Reaves or Wifi and get the hell beat out of him than Brady having to square off with them.
In today's NHL, nobody "has" to fight anyone. A guy like Tkachuk, Benn (a few years ago) or Trouba, that is a player that is good only fights other players. Tkachuk fought Trouba and Weber in the last couple fights I remember for him. You never see a good to star player fight a goon unless it's directly responding to a dirty hit on the ice or something.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Kastelic fighting Wilson last night, but it doesn't really impact who wins and loses the game anymore.

A star would love it if Reaves lost his mind and started a fight, not drop the gloves, and go on a 5 minute PP, score a couple of goals, and watch Reaves stapled to the bench then be a healthy scratch for awhile.

Top offensive players would love having a Reaves or other goon on the ice, as they are more likely to score as Reaves can't keep up, he'd get burned badly, which is why he plays 8 minutes a night against 3rd and 4th liners only.

Otherwise, why has Colorado and Vegas won the cup the last 2 years with no regular fighter and barely any fights in the season on the team?

Why haven't Reaves and Matt Martin won any cups? Who was the last goon to win a cup? Wilson doesn't count as he's a good player.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I remember when Canucks fans were freaking out after losing this guy :laugh:

He's always been useless.

He had a little bit of promise at the time. He's a big body who has actually really embraced his role as a 4th line banger and designated fight puncher guy.

He's also one of those guys who at least shows enough actual hockey ability and scoring touch at lower levels to think that he could've been a serviceable player at the NHL level, as far as that type of "modern day enforcer" type.

But his skill level obviously just hasn't quite been able to translate. Just seems like he thinks the game, and skates just a beat too slow. Putting him behind the play and making him a lot less effective than he seemed like he might be able to be at the time.

Still...probably a more useful player in a depth role than a lot of the other tiny little offensive-oriented filler players who can't produce offensively at the NHL level either. Guys the Canucks fans have clambered for over the years, fretted over potentially losing, or actually put in their darn lineup to waste everyone's time.

Reactions: harv33173

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Somehow Ottawa gets even softer. I know he isn't a very good player but that roster is likely the softest team in the league.

I don't know.

HockeyVirus said:
I was all aboard Reaves train but like... Isn't the narrative we won't be bullied anymore? Well I think we are being bullied. What is Reaves going to do about it?

Still wearing the championship belt in that department I think.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
13th forward with Ottawa running a 21 man roster. Zub likely to miss some time so someone has to go down so they can call up a D.
Zub missing time is really bad news. Been the teams second best d man.

Somehow Ottawa gets even softer. I know he isn't a very good player but that roster is likely the softest team in the league.
We've got an expert on our hands here. Leaf fans certainly know what a soft roster looks like..

SweSensFan

Feb 15, 2019
Nah I would say they are average.

Tkachuk and Kastelic can fight and play hard.

Grieg may not be big but very gritty

Hamonic and Chycrun are pretty physical d-men.

Many other guys have the size and toghness to stand up for themselves.

Only Branny is clearly undersized and can be pushed around sometimes but him playing third pairing with Hamonic makes it a small problem, advanced metrics implies that he makes up for it in other ways

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Presumably if he wasn’t signed at all, that space he occupies while on the NHL roster could be filled with another player?

The point everyone is making, is that any player replacing him in that spot is going go make the same or more money

he cant impact the cap, unless ottawa planned to run a 20 man roster (doesnt happen) and only had 21 because they wanted macewen up

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The point everyone is making, is that any player replacing him in that spot is going go make the same or more money

he cant impact the cap, unless ottawa planned to run a 20 man roster (doesnt happen) and only had 21 because they wanted macewen up

Yeah, I was thinking of a scenario where they only had Pinto on the roster.

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
In today's NHL, nobody "has" to fight anyone. A guy like Tkachuk, Benn (a few years ago) or Trouba, that is a player that is good only fights other players. Tkachuk fought Trouba and Weber in the last couple fights I remember for him. You never see a good to star player fight a goon unless it's directly responding to a dirty hit on the ice or something.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Kastelic fighting Wilson last night, but it doesn't really impact who wins and loses the game anymore.

A star would love it if Reaves lost his mind and started a fight, not drop the gloves, and go on a 5 minute PP, score a couple of goals, and watch Reaves stapled to the bench then be a healthy scratch for awhile.

Top offensive players would love having a Reaves or other goon on the ice, as they are more likely to score as Reaves can't keep up, he'd get burned badly, which is why he plays 8 minutes a night against 3rd and 4th liners only.

Otherwise, why has Colorado and Vegas won the cup the last 2 years with no regular fighter and barely any fights in the season on the team?

Why haven't Reaves and Matt Martin won any cups? Who was the last goon to win a cup? Wilson doesn't count as he's a good player.
Shhh, you're scaring the hockey boomers with your facts.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
wouldnt matter, his cap hit has no effect on pinto as theyd simply bury him with no hit on the cap

I was thinking in terms of a roster reduction along the lines of your original point (which isn't done).

I get that MacEwan is earning league minimum and is therefore replacement player value.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
It sure was an unnecessary signing. However it doesn't impact us in any way re: the cap, as up to $1.2 mil of cap per player can be buried in the AHL.

I won't call it a bad signing as a fan, as it only impacts Michael Andlauer paying $775K to play a player in the AHL for parts of 3 years.
MacEwan isn't totally useless. He runs around and hits. But he's unnecessary right now. I can see him play 20-50 games with the Sens depending on injuries.

Going to the 20 man roster as much as possible does save cap room.

If they sign Pinto today for $1.5ish mil, and send down Chartier, they'll still have $62,000 cap space and 20 man roster. Other teams have juggled this for a season and got by, I guess we have no choice. Best to add like $100K cap space so guys like Smejkal and Kleven can be called up at some point. So, Pinto at $1.4ish mil, haha.

I think Pinto will cave at some point as he has no leverage and won't want to sit out a season. Hope they Sens make it up to him in January when they can extend him.
A 20 player roster for the entire season? Not sure about that & would think it's pretty rare based on the times I checked CapFriendly.

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

MacDermid won the cup with Colorado.

Keegan Kolesar is an effective 4th liner with toughness, but the Knights overall are a heavy team, that's kind of tough.

So really it's just this past season where there wasn't a guy who's more there for toughness than his ability to play.

Saying fights don't change games anymore isn't correct, either. Obviously if you score more goals than the other team, but lose the fights, you still win, but it still gets the fans and players engaged when they start slow for whatever reason. One would assume the team would be able to go from the drop of the puck every night, but that's another point.

Yes, you have to do more and can't just punch faces and that's it, but if you can do more like Wilson, who's still a bitch, or the Tkachuks, or Benn you're going to get paid.

Also, lastly Benn was expected to fight because he'd act like a bitch and go do bitch moves during the game. It's the thing I can say I haven't seen Brady do some sketchy, or questionable shit so far in his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad