Waived: [OTT] F Zack MacEwen waived by the Senators (cleared)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
well-there-it-is.gif

We were just speculating about who would get sent down.

Please claim him. He's one tough son of a bitch in the press box.

Altimus

Probably drunk
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2006
West end Ottawa
My take from his signing is the team leadership probably asked for a facepuncher so Brady didn't always have to be that guy. Now they'd rather have Pinto on the ice over him. I expect Kelly to be next to shorten the bench.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Would have been my 1st choice.

Unnecessary signing especially to a 3 year contract. Who does that? oh the guy that left 62k in the bank to sign Pinto.
It sure was an unnecessary signing. However it doesn't impact us in any way re: the cap, as up to $1.2 mil of cap per player can be buried in the AHL.

I won't call it a bad signing as a fan, as it only impacts Michael Andlauer paying $775K to play a player in the AHL for parts of 3 years.
MacEwan isn't totally useless. He runs around and hits. But he's unnecessary right now. I can see him play 20-50 games with the Sens depending on injuries.

Going to the 20 man roster as much as possible does save cap room.

If they sign Pinto today for $1.5ish mil, and send down Chartier, they'll still have $62,000 cap space and 20 man roster. Other teams have juggled this for a season and got by, I guess we have no choice. Best to add like $100K cap space so guys like Smejkal and Kleven can be called up at some point. So, Pinto at $1.4ish mil, haha.

I think Pinto will cave at some point as he has no leverage and won't want to sit out a season. Hope they Sens make it up to him in January when they can extend him.

Last edited:

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Scrappy dude who can play a 4th line shift and knows his role on the team.
Someone could use him for sure.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That maybe be true but I always give a thumbs up to someone who was undrafted and has still managed to play 188 NHL which is far more than most who play high level junior/university, even those that are drafted, will ever play.

It's a great story (and he's an Islander to boot) but I just don't see a need for him on the Senators when he's sitting games against Tom Wilson.

Reactions: Altimus

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I can't believe he got a 3 year 1-way contract this past summer, he was without question the worst player on the Kings, post trade.

Any team that claims him would owe him about $2m in actual dollars over the life of the contract, whether he's in the NHL or AHL. I'm guessing that might be reason enough he clears.

Reactions: johnjm22

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
How the hell did he get that contract this offseason

Good on his agent
I think the 3yrs was to get him down to league min. He probably had offers for 1 or 2yrs with a higher AAV but nothing close to this level of security.

Also, Sens have had a very low-salaried AHL team for years but are seemingly starting to spend more down there. MacEwen as a guy who can bounce between being a very good AHLer and a plug-n-play physical 4th liner is worth something to the Sens.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Would have been my 1st choice.

Unnecessary signing especially to a 3 year contract. Who does that? oh the guy that left 62k in the bank to sign Pinto.
MacEwen's cap hit tomorrow will be $0.

Try again.

That's the ticket!

But seriously, he's a mediocre hockey player.
He's a mediocre hockey player that is paid like a mediocre hockey player.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I wouldn’t ordinarily care if we weren’t in a cap crunch at the moment.
He has no impact on our cap whatsoever, he is literally our lowest paid fwd besides Kelly and his cap hit only counts when he's on the roster. AKA any possible replacement costs as much or more.
He won’t tomorrow.
He doesn't today, didn't yesterday, at no point during his contract will he impact the cap whatsoever. Only way to save cap by demoting him is by reducing our roster size.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He doesn't today, didn't yesterday, at no point during his contract will he impact the cap whatsoever. Only way to save cap by demoting him is by reducing our roster size.

Presumably if he wasn’t signed at all, that space he occupies while on the NHL roster could be filled with another player?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad