Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] F Tyler Motte signs with the Senators (1 year, $1.35M)

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Wonder if Ottawa sweetened the deal with promise of 3LW spot start with Formenton out for the year. Lets Motte bet on himself, score 30 pts and get a nice 3M x 4 years somewhere after.
Got to wonder a little more now about Formenton given the signing of Motte. By connecting the dots, I had a theory (posted on Senators board) on what might happen to Formenton.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Got to wonder a little more now about Formenton given the signing of Motte. By connecting the dots, I had a theory (posted on Senators board) on what might happen to Formenton.
I had a thought myself in the event Formentons gets suspended for a year if they could give him a nice signing bonus this year to lower the cap for the next year or two under 2M.

E.g. SB 1M, 1.3M, 1.6M

Cap hit is laughable until 2025 but salary is just under 2M for the unsuspended years.
Assuming the outlook of paying a guy that was involved enough to be suspended sits well when people are talking about the outlook of even having him on the team.

Feb 19, 2018
He didn’t get term due to health issues, he can never seem to stay healthy and usually misses 20-40 games a season. Good signing though at that term and price.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I had a thought myself in the event Formentons gets suspended for a year if they could give him a nice signing bonus this year to lower the cap for the next year or two under 2M.

E.g. SB 1M, 1.3M, 1.6M

Cap hit is laughable until 2025 but salary is just under 2M for the unsuspended years.
Assuming the outlook of paying a guy that was involved enough to be suspended sits well when people are talking about the outlook of even having him on the team.
Not sure what you mean, whatever he signs for, and whatever part is signing bonus , plus remaining salary for the year, the cap is the same for the 3 years.
In scenario you have , you have 3.9 in SB, how much is salary, each year.

Total SB plus total salary / 3 = AAV cap hit.

The part I’m fuzzy on, does a player still need to be paid 750k minimum plus SB in the CBA, not sure the salary portion can be less than 750k.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Fantastic for Motter, wish he was able to get a long term contract and really cash in. He will be on LTIR by November, and possibly come back by spring, body from shoulder up is just broken.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
A good reason why g/60 is not always a good metric. Increasing ice time won’t automatically result in linear growth in goals with Motte.

This is true.

That’s an example of a misleading statistic in this case. This is not a knock on Motte - he’s still basically an elite 4th liner that can fill in and not hurt you

But it's also the reason this is true as well.

You don't want someone like Motte playing a bunch of minutes, because the goals probably will not scale, and the points definitely will not.

But it's the sort of thing that makes someone like Motte such a great 4th liner type. He's going to hit that sort of G/60 rate while playing defensive minutes, PK, and because of the way he scores most of those goals...it genuinely won't even matter if you play him alongside an offensive black hole. He's one of those "creates his own offense" guys who feasts on using speed and forechecking to capitalize on broken plays. When the game becomes more "structured" and "deliberate" offensively with top quality linemates, he's going to look really out of place and be frustrating. But what you want in a bottom-6 winger, is that ability to produce some results while barely ever handling the puck except to forecheck, backcheck, and occasionally spring themselves on a breakaway or odd man rush off a broken play. Usually from pressure at the defensive or offensive blueline, or something goofy someone tries below their own goal line resulting in a mess.

Stan Galiev

Sasha Minor
May 15, 2015
Motte is one of the best 4th liners in the league. Great piece to a contender bottom 6. Nice sign by the Sens. Their forward group is really starting to look formidable.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
This is true.

But it's also the reason this is true as well.

You don't want someone like Motte playing a bunch of minutes, because the goals probably will not scale, and the points definitely will not.

But it's the sort of thing that makes someone like Motte such a great 4th liner type. He's going to hit that sort of G/60 rate while playing defensive minutes, PK, and because of the way he scores most of those goals...it genuinely won't even matter if you play him alongside an offensive black hole. He's one of those "creates his own offense" guys who feasts on using speed and forechecking to capitalize on broken plays. When the game becomes more "structured" and "deliberate" offensively with top quality linemates, he's going to look really out of place and be frustrating. But what you want in a bottom-6 winger, is that ability to produce some results while barely ever handling the puck except to forecheck, backcheck, and occasionally spring themselves on a breakaway or odd man rush off a broken play. Usually from pressure at the defensive or offensive blueline, or something goofy someone tries below their own goal line resulting in a mess.
Good analysis.

His yield diminishes greatly on higher lines, though I would add that I consider it possible that that's because maybe he panics a bit mentally when put in that position. When he's played beside Horvat or elsewhere up the lineup a bit he looks like the game is happening a bit too fast for him, and that could be due to internal pressure.

All of this to say it's possible he becomes more in Ottawa than he was here, and that's a compliment because he was an elite, playing-driving 4th liner here. A real market inefficiency. But he won't be a ton more, and yes he will be hurt for long stretches.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
a good and useful player overlooked because an undersized 4th line utility forward who can't take faceoffs does not fit most teams' predetermined needs. i hope he gets a good shot with the sens.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Good analysis.

His yield diminishes greatly on higher lines, though I would add that I consider it possible that that's because maybe he panics a bit mentally when put in that position. When he's played beside Horvat or elsewhere up the lineup a bit he looks like the game is happening a bit too fast for him, and that could be due to internal pressure.

All of this to say it's possible he becomes more in Ottawa than he was here, and that's a compliment because he was an elite, playing-driving 4th liner here. A real market inefficiency. But he won't be a ton more, and yes he will be hurt for long stretches.

It's possible that it's just putting pressure on himself that leads to that. I think more likely though, it is just that he doesn't have the offensive chops and vision to really keep up with that kind of game very well. It's kind of ironic, because his game is all about playing with a ton of pace and applying pressure all over the place to other players. But i think that's why it works for him. It's him dictating the pace and forcing others to think the game faster and make mistakes. It's simpler for him, where just has to read small portions of the play and apply pressure.

But that's just fine. Especially for a team like Ottawa that have a lot of good, creative, skilled forward options to keep ahead of him on the depth chart. He should slot right into more of a "checking" or "energy" role, and that's a direct bullseye for his particular skillset. With those minutes and PK time, he should land right in that "efficiency" sweetspot. They really don't need him to to be anything more than that. Just hopefully have him be mostly healthy most of the time (which as you hinted at, is always a struggle for smaller players who play all out the way he does).

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa

E.g. SB 1M, 1.3M, 1.6M

I think if the findings implicate Formenton the current climate will mean career over, not one year off.

Also, if he is found to be guilty of something, the Habs will surely swoop in with an offer sheet, that’s what they look for in a player.

• Haha
Reactions: Boud and playasRus

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
A good reason why g/60 is not always a good metric. Increasing ice time won’t automatically result in linear growth in goals with Motte.
It is still an impressive rate statistic considering he has played with absolute shit players who couldn't produce a dime without him. Like total 0 offense players and he churned really good results in 3rd line - not 4th line - minutes.

There is no way he played 4th line minutes or role in Van. Their actual fourth line was generally whatever line Chiasson and Dickinson played on. Motte - Lammikko - Highmore played more minutes and more difficult minutes - both in terms of who they played against and where on the ice they were generally trusted.

On an elite team, he's probably more of a 4th liner. But we can't act as if his role wasn't a 3rd line one and that he did well in those minutes to churn decent results with bad players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad