Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] F Tyler Motte signs with the Senators (1 year, $1.35M)

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
That's a great deal.

They are going to have some serious speed in their bottom 6 with Formenton, Joseph, Pinto, and now Motte?

I imagine 3 of those 4 will form their 3rd line . . . that's gonna be fastest line in hockey.

Pinto is a good skater, but not an absolute burner by any means.

I also think Formenton could be dealt still. We will see.
is Motte any good?
I'll put it this way: he is likely one of our top 9 forwards under contract.

Reactions: Canucks LB

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Man I wonder how much the Canucks had offered before dealing him. Rumour was he was looking for at least 2M+ and likely 2.5M+

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Motte is a great bottom-six "style" forward with some nice hands. He is one of those players who would break out with the right linemates and a string of good health. He gives 100% and he is pretty quick. He's strong defensively.
Last season when the Canucks traded him the expectation is that he was asking/due for $2.0-2.5m x 4 and the Canucks were either offering something less or weren't interested, but he was a fan favourite and people were hoping he would be re-signed at a price like this (though with term).
This is going to be a show-me deal in Ottawa and if he plays like he did in Vancouver he will be looking for a solid raise.

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
Lesson for some players - if you’re offered a contract, don’t be so greedy or else sometimes this happens…

Motte is a good 4th liner - congrats Sens fans

Reactions: Gabe Kupari

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I'm in the minority but I was never a big fan of Motte.

When we first acquired him I didn't think he'd be anything more than a 13th forward, and he definitely proved me wrong on that.

But I don't believe he has the upside to be a good 3rd liner "in the right situation" or anything like some of his bigger fans believe. He simply lacks the size, IQ and overall talent to be anything more than a 4th line grinder.

I don't know what the underlying numbers suggest but his hustle does seem to be an asset on the PK. I think he's overrated defensively 5-on-5, has a real tendency to get lost in his own zone and sometimes over back-check.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Pinto is a good skater, but not an absolute burner by any means.
I dunno, in a straight line dude is extremely powerful now. He had some footspeed issues earlier in his career but dude can flat out fly now. He's developed a very powerful stride with excellent length.

Watch how fast he catches Kulak:

• Haha
Reactions: Knies iT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad