Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] D Erik Brannstrom signs extension with the Senators (1 year, $2M)

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
This guy is not very good. Senators are wasting their time with him. 'Cerebral' lol, he's a passive small defenseman that brings nothing at an even above average level.

There will be better options on waivers but the sunk cost fallacy is real.
You couldn’t be more off base. I was highly critical of Brannstrom prior to this year but he is improving quickly now. Yes he is very undersized but he is highly competitive, no fear, starting to show his puck transportation and distribution can be way above average. Honestly his only flaws are his height and his muffin of a shot.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Exactly, being miscasted and badly utilized by DJ in such a horrible way has really contributed to his underwhelming perception and stats. Having the coach insisting on playing him a bottom pair role for 8-9 min a night where he can't even get his feet warm or get into the rhythm of the game, and where he'd be against the opponents tough and gritty players that will dump and crush him against the backboards everytime while electing to play Zaitsev ahead of him all the time really hurt his development and value.
Dont let facts fly in the face of opinion, right?

Reactions: SENStastic

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
One year I'm good with that. Likely he doesn't have a spot as soon as next season with Chabot, Sanderson, Chychrun, Zub, Kleven and JBD.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
More than I expected but he is a fine bottom pair D. I expect him and JBD will be battling for a longterm bottom pairing spot next to Kleven over the coming season & the other guy probably gets dealt (Kleven may still be in the AHL, but by next year I expect it to be him & one of them)

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
This guy is not very good. Senators are wasting their time with him. 'Cerebral' lol, he's a passive small defenseman that brings nothing at an even above average level.

There will be better options on waivers but the sunk cost fallacy is real.
The way some Sens describe him is hilarious. He's mediocre in almost every sense.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
He’s polarizing amongst Sens fans. I think he’s highly underrated. Always steps into higher roles with ease when called upon. Has offensive flare but has struggled to score.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
One year term here is great. I saw enough from him in a limited role last year to be happy he’s back and $2M is fine.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
The hype around this guy is insane in Ottawa. He was a poor #6/7 offensive defender who reshaped his game (thanks to the coach which every sens fans doesn't seem to get) and is now trending toward being a #5/6 defensive defender.

Why Ottawa fans cannot see that this kid was heading toward Europe before Smith stepped in and helped him save his NHL career, I don't know. Instead they all blame Smith for ruining him and not playing him in top minute positions?

Brannstrom's NHL ceiling is like a #4 on a team with a very unique need. His minutes are almost all sheltered. If this contract is more than 1.25M it's too much.

Well said. Kids got heart and hopefully has great season coming up

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Brannstrom being poor defensively is a myth. He struggles against heavy cycle forechecking teams that happen to be big, but his actual defensive and transition play in a sheltered role is great otherwise. Krug is a pure offensive Dman.

Similarity is evident on the breakout, playmaking ability; Krug generated more points, hence the "lite"
Krug can be seen as an offensive dman, but generally in the dzone they play the same way; relying on their positioning rather than use of body.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad