Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] D Erik Brannstrom signs extension with the Senators (1 year, $2M)

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
If they can stretch out the term and Branstorm can sacrifice AAV then that will be a nice deal for Ottawa.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He’s a funny player.

He plays a smart and cerebral game both in terms of his defensive and offensive play.

He can move the puck and skate smoothly and has good vision. His shot is decent if unspectacular.

Despite this skillset, he cannot put up points which is bizarre.

His biggest flaw is his size which means that he can be outmuscled in his own end at times and in front of the net.

For a finesse defencemen, he really has to start getting traction offensively or his career in the NHL could be short.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
As a Sens fan I would never give up on him based on what he's shown so far. He could so easily break out into a stud in his mid to late twenties.

He's still clearly got untapped potential, and as long as he keeps progressing, he's a capable 3rd pairing NHLer at very least. The fact that he can be that without the offensive production is a testament to how well he's developed defensively, considering his size.

Point being is that if he figures out how to use his gifted talents and start to generate some offense, a 30-35pt Brannstrom would be a hell of a player.

Reactions: Sensatauro

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
As a non sens fan he's such an enigma, to me at least.

You'll watch a game at the start of the season and see him play really well and think f***, the sens got another good d, or a trade chip.

Then when you watch him a few games later he looks like your typical random callup from the A to fill in for a game, or two. Nothing special, just does the basic play to get the puck out safely.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
He averaged 16 mins over 74 GP for the -10 Senators and finished a +5, 1 of 5 senators who finished as a + player.

Also, all of the Sens Dmen were better (both analytically and eye test) with Branny than without him.

He finished the year 1G 8A in his last 15 games after Chabot and then Chychrun got hurt. He had the same 1G 8A in his first 59 games of the year, so his production really took off when he got his chance in the Top 4.

He's a lot better than people think. Contract should be 1-2 years between $1.2-1.5M which is a steal for what he brings.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

You'll watch a game at the start of the season and see him play really well and think f***, the sens got another good d, or a trade chip.

Then when you watch him a few games later he looks like your typical random callup from the A to fill in for a game, or two. Nothing special, just does the basic play to get the puck out safely.
Bullseye.

Although, that can he said of a lot of young nhl dmen. Still, this is exactly how he looked to me last year.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Let the poor guy go already, he needed a change of scenery like 2 years ago
Good idea. That way he can do the exact same thing for another team while we replace him on the third pairing.

Or...here's a crazy idea. We keep him at a cheap rate and he plays up the pairings when and if need be and we see what we have with him as he matures as a young dman.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Good idea. That way he can do the exact same thing for another team while we replace him on the third pairing.

Or...here's a crazy idea. We keep him at a cheap rate and he plays up the pairings when and if need be and we see what we have with him as he matures as a young dman.
Yeah I mean its obviously a little late for him to dramatically change, but I still have no idea why they didnt get value for him while he had some

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Yeah I mean its obviously a little late for him to dramatically change, but I still have no idea why they didnt get value for him while he had some
I don't think he ever had any real value tbh. Some lateral value for the equivalent of a 3rd line forward or 2nd rounder at some point maybe, but it was never enough to not take the risk and see if he develops here.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
He needs to play top 4 minutes and qb pp2 at least to put him in a spot to succeed and get the most out of his skillset. But our amazing coach had other plans and really sunk his value over the past few years. What a dissapointment. Now that Chychrun is here, he'll be relegated to the bottom pair the entirety of the year barring any injuries to the top 4, sinking his stock even further. Another mismanaged asset.

Probably gets $1.5m for a year or two I would guess, and likely gets traded for pennies before his term is done.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Brannstrom being poor defensively is a myth. He struggles against heavy cycle forechecking teams that happen to be big, but his actual defensive and transition play in a sheltered role is great otherwise. Krug is a pure offensive Dman.
Exactly, being miscasted and badly utilized by DJ in such a horrible way has really contributed to his underwhelming perception and stats. Having the coach insisting on playing him a bottom pair role for 8-9 min a night where he can't even get his feet warm or get into the rhythm of the game, and where he'd be against the opponents tough and gritty players that will dump and crush him against the backboards everytime while electing to play Zaitsev ahead of him all the time really hurt his development and value.

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
How has Erik progressed?

Sens fans have had high expectations for him as the main piece in the fan favourite Stone trade, but I think all of HFsens can agree he was great to end the season 2 years in a row now (stretches of 30+ games) and has steadily been improving.

Still only 23, he’s a late birthday and I think D always have a longer learning curve, even more so smaller D. I think he has Girard lite potential. Great complimentary D behind the big dogs who is able to step up in a bigger role a pinch if needed.

I think his points have been a bit low in the NHL due to the focus on his defensive game which has drastically improved since his first extended stint with the Sens in 19-20. It’s probably a blessing for now, the Sens might be able to lock him up cheaper than his projected worth. Plays both sides RD and LD and is tougher than he looks. Takes big hits and shrugs them off.

He shows a lot of flashes on offence and was our best possession/breakout D by far other than Chabot/Sanderson last year. Great first pass, good hands and good vision. Underrated shot for a smaller guy, although he goes wide way too much. He’s already proven he can put up points in the AHL.

For the Sens he’s probably one of our most underrated players. He’s beneath Chabot/Sanderson/Chychrun on the depth chart and the 4th D is probably Zub but Brann is able to step into a top 4 role or 1st PP role with ease in case of injury/penalties which he’s proved it 2 years in a row now.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.

It's usually because DJ will give Brann a steady d partner, he'll get comfortable and start playing really well and then all of a sudden pair him with someone like Zaitsev who makes everyone look like shit. He'll lose confidence and has to start the cycle all over again.

Branny isn't good enough to compensate for a poor partner, coach needs to give him some consistency with someone who can actually play.

Reactions: SENStastic

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
How has Erik progressed?

Not well.

Severely lacks offensive creativity and IQ. Gets pushed around easily in his own zone. Useless on the PP and not great on the PK.

He’s a 7th D type at best and the only reason he’s getting another contract is because he was the centrepiece to the Stone trade

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
The hype around this guy is insane in Ottawa. He was a poor #6/7 offensive defender who reshaped his game (thanks to the coach which every sens fans doesn't seem to get) and is now trending toward being a #5/6 defensive defender.

Why Ottawa fans cannot see that this kid was heading toward Europe before Smith stepped in and helped him save his NHL career, I don't know. Instead they all blame Smith for ruining him and not playing him in top minute positions?

Brannstrom's NHL ceiling is like a #4 on a team with a very unique need. His minutes are almost all sheltered. If this contract is more than 1.25M it's too much.

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad