Post-Game Talk: Otl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Tampa Bay Lightning can pass us in points tonight if they win against the Arizona Coyotes.

TBL are 3-6-1 their last 10 while Coyotes are 2-7-1 their last 10. This one is going to be a real nail biter, folks. Go 'Yotes!

Why would you want TBL to lose at this point? Detroit is on pace for 84 points. Which would mean they both would miss the playoffs, and still draft in the middle of the draft. Literally the second worst scenario.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Why would you want TBL to lose at this point? Detroit is on pace for 84 points. Which would mean they both would miss the playoffs, and still draft in the middle of the draft. Literally the second worst scenario.

Why do I give a **** if Tampa misses the playoffs?

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Why would you want TBL to lose at this point?

Because all I heard the last two years from select individuals on here is how great Steve Yzerman is a General Manager and how the Lightning are set up for long-term success.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Because all I heard the last two years from select individuals on here is how great Steve Yzerman is a General Manager and how the Lightning are set up for long-term success.

You make it sound like making the playoffs consistently constitutes success :sarcasm:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Probably because it's the TBL and he's a RW fan.
Tampa is a recent rival only in the sense that a nail isn't a big fan of hammers.

Not liking them is understandable, but even if it was Claude Lemieux on the Avs, I'd still prefer what helps the franchise most, rival winning or not.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

I would think it is more the coach, but you are right though. The posters here say things and hope it will be forgotten.
But the league is tough and there is a good chance we might see a lot of changes in the standings.
The flyers for instance were winning like crazy, now they are in free fall, out of the playoffs. Bruins have no chance either, I believe. The same with the habs. I won't be surprised to see them fall.
I think we will se real dog race till the very end of the season.

This game.
It was very bad officiated. Only one page says more than enough.
All 3 sabres goals were questionable.

I was not impressed by Mrazek either. He was good, he was solid, yet all 3 goals a bit weak.

It is a very good chance we are gonna lose vs rangers. I think starting Coreau would not be bad, but I think it is more or less the same.
The team has finally started clicking so maybe our goalies can get some help.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Bolts losing to yotes 5-1. Sabres won 6 in a row. NYI won, canes lost.
All teams we need to lose won.
Very exciting.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
The bolts are last in the conference.

Easiest thing to do is replace the coach. Both New Jersey and Los Angeles did it and won a Cup the same year they made a change. I was surprised Babcock didn't go to Tampa, he would have killed it there, although he's doing just fine in Toronto. :D

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Tampa is a recent rival only in the sense that a nail isn't a big fan of hammers.

Not liking them is understandable, but even if it was Claude Lemieux on the Avs, I'd still prefer what helps the franchise most, rival winning or not.

I hear they're a legit contender like we should be tanking to be and rooting against them will hurt our future. Confirm/deny.

Oh and they just lost. Goddamnit, Dotter, STOP HURTING THE FUTURE!

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
With respect to how I'd like Detroit to return to contention, I want all teams currently beneath them in the standings to win, and for the Wings to lose, bringing Detroit as close to the #1 overall pick as possible. That's not a Detroit/Tampa thing, it's a rebuilding via high picks thing.

But as for Tampa Bay specifically, despite their awful season thus far, I still believe they have a significantly better collection of talent than Detroit, and, at the moment, I would expect them to win their next championship before Detroit wins theirs. We'll see how the season concludes, and what each front office does going forward.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
But as for Tampa Bay specifically, despite their awful season thus far, I still believe they have a significantly better collection of talent than Detroit, and, at the moment, I would expect them to win their next championship before Detroit wins theirs.

For all we know that team's window has closed. The cap is coming. They'll have to start thinning their depth out. Their best chance to win was a few years ago when all those young players were on cheap contracts. It's only going to get harder to get to the top going forward.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
For all we know that team's window has closed. The cap is coming. They'll have to start thinning their depth out. Their best chance to win was a few years ago when all those young players were on cheap contracts. It's only going to get harder to get to the top going forward.
Everything you said might come to pass.

And yet, from a talent perspective, they're still in better position to contend than Detroit is.

And even if they finish the year with a top-5 pick, I trust Yzerman making those decisions more than Holland.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
But as for Tampa Bay specifically, despite their awful season thus far, I still believe they have a significantly better collection of talent than Detroit, and, at the moment, I would expect them to win their next championship before Detroit wins theirs. We'll see how the season concludes, and what each front office does going forward.

That has to be one of the biggest understatements of all time. Go ask the collected masses on the main board whether they'd rather have Tampa's talent or Detroit's. My guess is it would be 10:1 in favor of Tampa.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Everything you said might come to pass.

And yet, from a talent perspective, they're still in better position to contend than Detroit is.

And even if they finish the year with a top-5 pick, I trust Yzerman making those decisions more than Holland.

What makes you think Tampa can get back to the final four? Pittsburgh, Washington, New York, and Montreal aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Columbus is likely here to stay for a little while longer. I don't think they are a flash in the pan. That's not even accounting for teams like Florida and Philadelphia rebounding and Toronto continuing to get better.

Tampa might be a Wild Card team at best going forward, so I guess Yzerman should blow it up and tank again because they're clearly not Stanley Cup contenders? :laugh:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
That has to be one of the biggest understatements of all time. Go ask the collected masses on the main board whether they'd rather have Tampa's talent or Detroit's. My guess is it would be 10:1 in favor of Tampa.

"I'm not looking for the best players - I'm looking for the right ones."
-Herb Brooks

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
A lot of people on this board are putting their Lightning jersey's back in the closet. :laugh:
It's especially hilarious with one specific poster on this board basically switching allegiance before the season to a 'better' team. And they might end up lower in the standings. I love it.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Okay, I'd rather take the team that's two years removed from the finals than the one that's eights years removed from the third round.

Kucherov signed that cap-friendly deal because Yzerman sold him on the chance of winning a Cup. Bet he and his agent feel like a big idiot right now. Should easily be making double. I don't see Drouin, Palat, and Johnson taking cap-friendly deals after this season, either. This was their last year to take a serious run at the Cup and they're going to fall flat on their face.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Looks like this will be the 2nd time in Yzerman's career the Lightning go on a deep playoff run and then completely miss the playoffs the next season.

Just another example of why I laugh when people say "Anyone can just make the playoffs if they want to." What, Yzerman wasn't actually trying to make the playoffs this year? I mean, it's just so easy to do it year after year right?

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
With respect to how I'd like Detroit to return to contention, I want all teams currently beneath them in the standings to win, and for the Wings to lose, bringing Detroit as close to the #1 overall pick as possible. That's not a Detroit/Tampa thing, it's a rebuilding via high picks thing.

You as some of the posters here do not understand what is important.
In 20/50/100 years from now nobody will remember who won the cup in 2017. But the longest playoff streak will be mentioned. ALWAYS. When they talk about the streaks in the major sports they mention the streaks. If we could break the bruins streak it would be huge. Our chances are very bad now, but if we make it this season, the next one will be easier and we might even find the talent to go beyond round 1.
It's especially hilarious with one specific poster on this board basically switching allegiance before the season to a 'better' team. And they might end up lower in the standings. I love it.

Who is it?

Kucherov signed that cap-friendly deal because Yzerman sold him on the chance of winning a Cup. Bet he and his agent feel like a big idiot right now. Should easily be making double. I don't see Drouin, Palat, and Johnson taking cap-friendly deals after this season, either. This was their last year to take a serious run at the Cup and they're going to fall flat on their face.

That is not easy to control. Many players might ask for their money. But Yzerman can trade them to other teams for good prospects and picks. We will see what he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad