OT: Other Sports aka Denver Broncos Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
So I'm to understand the guy who was expected to be the top pick a few months back fell to #32 because of a rough pro day? All I was hearing forever was Bridgewater at #1 and then that all changed over the last month or two. I guess I don't get it. I bet the Vikings make out well on that one.
For some reason, people got caught up with his small hands and the fact that he wasn't very good on his pro day. People had doubts as well since he played in a crappy conference and had a cupcake schedule, but ignored some of the passes he makes in these games. I think the Vikings did well as well grabbing him with #32, I prefer him over Bortles and Manziel.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
So I'm to understand the guy who was expected to be the top pick a few months back fell to #32 because of a rough pro day? All I was hearing forever was Bridgewater at #1 and then that all changed over the last month or two. I guess I don't get it. I bet the Vikings make out well on that one.

The Vikings are going to love that pick, he is a steal at 32. He is ready to play this year whereas Bortles and Manziel will play but probably shouldn't.

I'm surprised he went that late, I figured somebody would have taken him in the teens or early 20s, but the Vikings made a smart move when he was still on the board late.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The Vikings are going to love that pick, he is a steal at 32. He is ready to play this year whereas Bortles and Manziel will play but probably shouldn't.

I'm surprised he went that late, I figured somebody would have taken him in the teens or early 20s, but the Vikings made a smart move when he was still on the board late.

I'm not sure Manziel will. By the season's end he will probably have the job, but for the first 6-8 weeks I could easily see Hoyer starting. IMO Manziel went to the best spot out of all of the QBs so far. Cleveland has a bunch of talent, and just needs some solid QB play to become a playoff team.

I think the Broncos did well with Roby. Huge talent, and off the field really doesn't matter in the NFL as long as it isn't too major. I wish my Eagles would have picked Roby instead of Smith (they should have picked Lawrence if they wanted a edge rusher type).

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
How'd you end up an Eagles fan?

The first pro football game (grew up in Nebraska, so I was watching college football shortly after exiting the womb) I ever watched was an Eagles games with Randall Cunningham as the QB. Well he immediately became my favorite player, and thus, I became an Eagles fan.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
For some reason, people got caught up with his small hands and the fact that he wasn't very good on his pro day. People had doubts as well since he played in a crappy conference and had a cupcake schedule, but ignored some of the passes he makes in these games. I think the Vikings did well as well grabbing him with #32, I prefer him over Bortles and Manziel.

I didn't think his hands were that small, same size as that Garroppolo kid (I think) and no one is making a big deal out of that for him.

He was accustomed to throwing with gloves, he threw without gloves at his Pro-Day, which who knows if that truly had an impact. I too find out hard to believe that a below average Pro-Day seemingly undid his entire collegiate work, but it seemed like it did because it caused people to go back and look at his film again, and they really started to pick him apart.

For the record, I'm really happy with him going to Minnesota, he's the first real shot that have at a good starting QB in a long time, he just needs some small fine tuning

Last edited:

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I don't know much about Roby, but on NFL network and Espn all of his hi lights were of him getting burned. :laugh:

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
Don't like the Roby pick. Too many red flags. I really like Ward (who went one pick before to the 49ers). Oh well, see what he can do before I start playing armchair GM.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The basic thought with Roby is immense physical talent, and decent coverage skills (very raw)... but no natural ball skills to speak of. I'd say it is very doubtful that he will ever become a shutdown top end corner, but as a secondary guy to Talib, he should be pretty solid in a couple years. IMO if the Broncos can find a MLB in the 2nd/3rd round (should target Borland) and find and explosive WR with return ability (Saunders type) they will have done their job this offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad