OT: Other Sports aka Denver Broncos Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't hate the Giants, I'm rather ambivalent about them. It's more hating that a team from NY win the Super Bowl. You gotta get out of the east coast bubble to get the eastern bias. Even if you can conceptually understand it you'll never fully get it until it effects your team and your fandom.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Dinosaur's adorable, who could hate him?...other than tiki barber and most of the guys who played for him in jacksonville...

I can hate him...I do hate him.

I still remember him laying the blame for a loss that I think knocked them out of the Playoffs to the Punter.

I remember the game being against the Eagles and in the final moments they punted to DeSean Jackson and he returned it for a touchdown. Coughlin blamed that player specifically and he was then released.

Now, not excusing him punting TO Jackson, as he should have punted it away from him or come up with a way to sort of squib it, but he didn't. However it doesn't excuse the OTHER PLAYERS on the field for allowing him to score as well.

Because of that, I will always look at Tom Coughlin as a POS Head Coach.

And because I'm afraid of what I'll say, I'm going to refrain from commenting on the SB wins the Giants have with Eli (at least the first one)--as they won't be kind and it will lead to a legitimate argument that would likely not end well at all.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't hate the Giants, I'm rather ambivalent about them. It's more hating that a team from NY win the Super Bowl. You gotta get out of the east coast bubble to get the eastern bias. Even if you can conceptually understand it you'll never fully get it until it effects your team and your fandom.

I grew up in chicago, I grew up outside of the east coast bubble. It still never made sense. Who cares how much the media pays attention to the east? How does that actually effect your team and fandom? This isn't like european football where rooting for a small club like I do means my team will never be able to afford the caliber of talent to play in the first division. In the NFL any team can afford to put a contender together whether the get the east coast hype or not.

RE: RL
Coughlin was too kind to that kid. Our special teams were terrible that year and the coverage units in particular were awful, but that makes it even more the punters fault for not putting out of bounds like he was told to. I don't really remember the specific comments he made but coughlin's taken the bullet for players who deserved to be called out far too often for me to damn him for calling out one player who more than deserved it. Especially since I'm willing to bet his comments where more along the lines of "he needs to be smarter than that" rather than "he's so sucky that his suckage screwed us."

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't care about how much a team is talked about on ESPN, it's not that. I don't even watch that stuff. And true in the NFL things are a bit more even. I'm not going to try and say the Broncos don't get a ton of hype but when Peyton is done a lot of that will go away. The Broncos were getting snubbed in the HOF for one. Chicago isn't exactly the best perspective on this either. Look at the Avs and every time you wonder why they don't get a Winter Classic or don't get All-Stars you really don't need to ask why.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't care about how much a team is talked about on ESPN, it's not that. I don't even watch that stuff. And true in the NFL things are a bit more even. I'm not going to try and say the Broncos don't get a ton of hype but when Peyton is done a lot of that will go away. The Broncos were getting snubbed in the HOF for one. Chicago isn't exactly the best perspective on this either. Look at the Avs and every time you wonder why they don't get a Winter Classic or don't get All-Stars you really don't need to ask why.

All teams have a bunch of HOF snubs unless they have that overwhelming history that the Steelers and Packers have or are one of the E6 in the NHL. That's why our Avs were under-represented in their heyday. That history is built with time and so far the avs haven't existed for all that long, and only had that one period as one of the league's defining franchises. If Patty and Joe can give us a second golden generation the Avs prestige and status will improve drastically and you'll see a lot less snubs and much more respect.

The financial incentives are part of it to. Denver being such a wishy-washy sports town for everyone but the broncos, especially when the avs are as bad as they have been in recent years, should make the team not getting a winter classic a surprise for no one. The broncos have done much better than the avs in both the good times and the jake plummer/jay cutler years in between the good timeses. They get a lot more attention, hype and awards respect. And that's because they have more history and a more dedicated and extensive fanbase.

That's why to me it seems silly for fans to whine about this east coast bias since it exists not just cause those teams come from the east, but because generally those teams have a lot more history and fan support than newer western teams. Lets look at the chargers, the weather is never not gorgeous, tickets are cheap, and they've been at least good enough to be entertaining since Breesus got his head out of his ass when they drafted Rivers after a long stretch between then and Fouts' days. Yet that team has miserable attendance and crappy fans when compared to the steelers/giants/packers/cowboys who's fans sit through far worse conditions to support their teams at much higher prices. So why the hell shouldn't the league pay more attention to the teams who draw more attention and have accomplished more?

Even with the avs tickets are insanely cheap, yet the locals do a mediocre job supporting the club. Why should the league pay extra attention to a team who've had one important period in their history that ended almost a decade ago, when even their fans aren't that into it? In time we'll earn that respect if the team does well and the city starts caring about the team during the regular season, but until that happens it is what it is. Every team isn't entitled to attention and representation at the awards.

Just feels like complaining that you aren't a Bayern/Yankees/Steelers/Celtics fan. *shrug*

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
All teams have a bunch of HOF snubs unless they have that overwhelming history that the Steelers and Packers have or are one of the E6 in the NHL. That's why our Avs were under-represented in their heyday. That history is built with time and so far the avs haven't existed for all that long, and only had that one period as one of the league's defining franchises.

Elway was our first Hall of Famer in 2004. We're talking about a team which by that point had gone to 6 Super Bowls and produced one of the best defensive units in the 70's and the only teams they beat into the Hall were the Saints and Falcons who both sucked hard. If that isn't a slight to guys like Floyd Little, Randy Gradishar, Rich Jackson and Louis Wright I don't know what is.

umdieecke*

All teams have a bunch of HOF snubs unless they have that overwhelming history that the Steelers and Packers have or are one of the E6 in the NHL. That's why our Avs were under-represented in their heyday. That history is built with time and so far the avs haven't existed for all that long, and only had that one period as one of the league's defining franchises. If Patty and Joe can give us a second golden generation the Avs prestige and status will improve drastically and you'll see a lot less snubs and much more respect.

The financial incentives are part of it to. Denver being such a wishy-washy sports town for everyone but the broncos, especially when the avs are as bad as they have been in recent years, should make the team not getting a winter classic a surprise for no one. The broncos have done much better than the avs in both the good times and the jake plummer/jay cutler years in between the good timeses. They get a lot more attention, hype and awards respect. And that's because they have more history and a more dedicated and extensive fanbase.

That's why to me it seems silly for fans to whine about this east coast bias since it exists not just cause those teams come from the east, but because generally those teams have a lot more history and fan support than newer western teams. Lets look at the chargers, the weather is never not gorgeous, tickets are cheap, and they've been at least good enough to be entertaining since Breesus got his head out of his ass when they drafted Rivers after a long stretch between then and Fouts' days. Yet that team has miserable attendance and crappy fans when compared to the steelers/giants/packers/cowboys who's fans sit through far worse conditions to support their teams at much higher prices. So why the hell shouldn't the league pay more attention to the teams who draw more attention and have accomplished more?

Even with the avs tickets are insanely cheap, yet the locals do a mediocre job supporting the club. Why should the league pay extra attention to a team who've had one important period in their history that ended almost a decade ago, when even their fans aren't that into it? In time we'll earn that respect if the team does well and the city starts caring about the team during the regular season, but until that happens it is what it is. Every team isn't entitled to attention and representation at the awards.

Just feels like complaining that you aren't a Bayern/Yankees/Steelers/Celtics fan. *shrug*

No. A few years ago some 3rd party did an analysis on the lack of Broncos in the HOF. It's not paranoia.

Seriously, by what criteria does Lynn Swann enter the HOF before Art Monk, while Curtis Martin gets in before Terrell Davis? I don't care how long Curtis Maryin played. He didn't come close to accomplishing what Terrell Davis did.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
No. A few years ago some 3rd party did an analysis on the lack of Broncos in the HOF. It's not paranoia.

Seriously, by what criteria does Lynn Swann enter the HOF before Art Monk, while Curtis Martin gets in before Terrell Davis? I don't care how long Curtis Maryin played. He didn't come close to accomplishing what Terrell Davis did.

Because the NFL's HoF process is stupid and biased against most teams.

I'm completely on board with TD getting in over a lot more than just Martin. But I judge great players by their spectacular-ness, not their accumulated achievements like the NFL likes to do sometimes. Thus Emmitt Smith had no chance of matching Barry, Sweetness, big bad Jim Brown and a number of other runners in my book. Brett Favre doesn't even come close to Unitas/Elway/Montana and many more. Randy Moss is the greatest WR of all time, even over Jerry Rice. And so on.

Lynn Swann is in the NFL HoF because the HoF board was trolling...with the sad truth being that that was just their steeler-***** getting completely out of hand because the NFL loves its own history. (b-oner is censored? for seriouslies?)

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
GatorZone Football @GatorZoneFB · 1h 1 hour ago
We’ve had very productive conversations with Coach McElwain and his wife Karen and those continue.

He is gone CSU fans.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't understand the Shanahan level watch on this guy. I couldn't have told you his name before yesterday. They had a good year, great. They lost the conference championship game and will probably play in a crappy bowl. I just don't get why it matters. To their fans I completely understand it's a big deal but to the point of having it RTed by every sports news person in Colorado and Frei of all people staking him out, I just don't get it. It's absurd and becoming embarrassing.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't understand the Shanahan level watch on this guy. I couldn't have told you his name before yesterday. They had a good year, great. They lost the conference championship game and will probably play in a crappy bowl. I just don't get why it matters. To their fans I completely understand it's a big deal but to the point of having it RTed by every sports news person in Colorado and Frei of all people staking him out, I just don't get it. It's absurd and becoming embarrassing.

Slight correction, CSU didn't even make the conference title game.

Well, first off I don't get the media circus, and IMO it doesn't look good for any potential replacements to have people camping outside your house trying to get the scoop. The reporters like Frei simply have no respect and it clearly shows here.

Second, McElwain is a very good coach, and the best CSU has had in years. It sucks to loses a good coach like that. My school has gone through it a few times now and it is just never fun. That said, if a coach is looking for a way out, just get it over with and let him go. It only hurts the school and program if it lingers. CSU just needs to move on, and go find themselves another coach.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Slight correction, CSU didn't even make the conference title game.

Well, first off I don't get the media circus, and IMO it doesn't look good for any potential replacements to have people camping outside your house trying to get the scoop. The reporters like Frei simply have no respect and it clearly shows here.

Second, McElwain is a very good coach, and the best CSU has had in years. It sucks to loses a good coach like that. My school has gone through it a few times now and it is just never fun. That said, if a coach is looking for a way out, just get it over with and let him go. It only hurts the school and program if it lingers. CSU just needs to move on, and go find themselves another coach.

Don't think the MW has a title game.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Yeah, it's Boise vs. Fresno State for MWC championship game this Saturday.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
CSU needs to make a call to Sean Kugler and quickly. I know he is a UTEP grad and will be hard to get out of there, but he would be an awesome hire.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Terry Frei ‏@TFrei 2m2 minutes ago
Jim McElwain's university arranged car. Guess he's turning it in.

B4Bxyd_CUAA94tn.jpg

No wonder he is leaving... :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad