OT: Other Sports 75

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
I always think of Pujols and A-Rod’s mega deals. They seemed like no-brainers to do but they almost can’t ever be worth it for the original team.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I always think of Pujols and A-Rod’s mega deals. They seemed like no-brainers to do but they almost can’t ever be worth it for the original team.

Way, way more established players. They were superstars for a while by the time they got their contracts. In fact you could say they got their deals too late in their career if you look at it from the clubs side of things.

Tatis literally hasn’t even had one elite regular full season and he just got 14 year contract. Insanity.

Reactions: Illinihockey

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Don’t know how comfortable I’d be giving out a contract like that personally.... don’t think I’d do it. Although it seems to be the new way to lock up your young elite talent.

I agree for the most part.

With that said, the rule of thumb in sports is that you pay for future production not past production. While I am not 100% comfortable giving a talent like Tatis that kind of money before he fully establish himself, I am much more comfortable giving it to him knowing he is likely (not guarantee, I understand) going to get better over giving it to a guy whose best days are behind him (ala Pujols, Cano). Within the next couple of years, he's going to be the best player in the game and is probably going to be well worth it.

It's the price you pay for the kind of talent. I would not be 100% comfortable, but if the Cubs had that kind of a talent, you best believe they should do every thing they can to lock that player up long term. If San Diego can find the money, the Cubs have no excuse.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Don’t know how comfortable I’d be giving out a contract like that personally.... don’t think I’d do it. Although it seems to be the new way to lock up your young elite talent.

I tend to agree. 13 years is just so long. I'd much rather push for a 7-8 year deal and maybe walk away at age 28-30 or whatever as the team. Tatis is great though.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I tend to agree. 13 years is just so long. I'd much rather push for a 7-8 year deal and maybe walk away at age 28-30 or whatever as the team. Tatis is great though.

Yeah, for a guy 22-25 years old a 6-8 year deal is more than reasonable for both sides IMO. Just in general, not specific to Tatis.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain

Zach is just in another zone right now. He athleticism and speed are off the charts this year. He is very close to joining the famed "50/40/90" club once he lifts his FT% by 3 points. He is a foundation piece along with PDub and possibly Coby. It will be interesting to see what they do at the TDL.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
The only thing that worries me is they are a team that loves to play to the level of their competition wayyyy too often. Just hope that doesn’t bite them early in the tournament.

Yeah, but everything is clicking at the right time. They're a team I wouldn't want to have to go up against. And like I said, they're fun, so I hope they have a good run.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Yeah, but everything is clicking at the right time. They're a team I wouldn't want to have to go up against. And like I said, they're fun, so I hope they have a good run.

Oh no doubt. They certainly have the potential to make a deep run, and it’s awesome to have a clutch player like Ayo on your team. Those are the kind of guys who can do crazy things in March.

Reactions: hawksrule

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
D82B7F53-23FF-4938-81C5-88C4DACB6DFD.gif
Bulls playing beautiful basketball right now

Reactions: Rooh
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad