OT: Other Sports 75

Status
Not open for further replies.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I've never understood how people could be ok with letting steroid users into the HoF. Hearing that stuff 10-15 years ago was so confusing to me as a young sports fan. They cheated. How is it even a conversation?

Reactions: Panzerspitze

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I've never understood how people could be ok with letting steroid users into the HoF. Hearing that stuff 10-15 years ago was so confusing to me as a young sports fan. They cheated. How is it even a conversation?

I generally agree other than that Bonds would have been deserving even pre-steroids. But absolutely not to the Sosa/McGwire types.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
It's pretty obvious Schilling didn't get in because of non-baseball reasons.

Yeah. Schilling isn't getting in because he's a gigantic scumbag of the highest order. His resume has him right on the line, IMO, but the person he is prevents most good people from voting for him. If it were me, I wouldn't vote for that piece of shit to get in.

Last edited:

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010

because it’s a museum

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Honored for playing baseball yet excluding players for personal opinions which shouldn’t matter if you’re judging them as a baseball player. The whole idea is silly to me.

And by no means am I defending his opinions. He’s an asshat.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Honored for playing baseball yet excluding players for personal opinions which shouldn’t matter if you’re judging them as a baseball player. The whole idea is silly to me.

There’s a character clause. He basically stole cans of millions of dollars from the state of Rhode Island, I just recently as a few weeks ago was encouraging violent insurrection.

I agree that he would probably get in otherwise, but it’s not as if he’d be such a great Hall of Famer that his absence matters.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

There’s a character clause. He basically stole cans of millions of dollars from the state of Rhode Island, I just recently as a few weeks ago was encouraging violent insurrection.

I agree that he would probably get in otherwise, but it’s not as if he’d be such a great Hall of Famer that his absence matters.

Not to mention declaring Parkland and Sandy Hook hoaxes. When you're that poor of character, you lose out on things honoring you. Maybe he shouldn't be such a piece of shit. This isn't a matter of excluding someone for personal opinions. It's excluding someone for being a gigantic, steaming, pile of shit.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Like I said, no one who isn’t borderline.

IMO, he was not borderline, neither was Smoltz or Mussina. All three should be in the Hall.

The character clause sucks. If baseball HOF can have Ty Cobb, without a doubt the worst person in the hall, then they most certainly can include Schilling (asshat and all). I'm surprise this is even a debate.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Reinsdorf is indefensible. He is cutting payroll in season #1 of the Sox contention window.

The Sox 2021 payroll is around $10M lower than in 2020.

How anyone can defend him as a good owner is beyond me.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
So because Sox dont want another 40+ yr old DH that makes them cheap? Nightengale getting Sox fans up in arms over not having interest in 40 yr old Nelson Cruz is laughable reach

Sox spent $ on Henricks and bringing in Lynn via trade

All they really need to address is another SP as we have a 1B prospect who would be better fit as our everyday DH/Rotating with Abreu at 1B rather then throwing $$$ at Cruz

Also if Jerry goes a little under last years payroll that is reasonable given Sox will likely play another season with no fans

If you haven't noticed most teams are being hesitant to spend money this offseason (Major reason activity only started picking up in recent weeks)

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
So because Sox dont want another 40+ yr old DH that makes them cheap? Nightengale getting Sox fans up in arms over not having interest in 40 yr old Nelson Cruz is laughable reach

Sox spent $ on Henricks and bringing in Lynn via trade

All they really need to address is another SP as we have a 1B prospect who would be better fit as our everyday DH/Rotating with Abreu at 1B rather then throwing $$$ at Cruz

Also if Jerry goes a little under last years payroll that is reasonable given Sox will likely play another season with no fans

If you haven't noticed most teams are being hesitant to spend money this offseason (Major reason activity only started picking up in recent weeks)
And all of the other owners are cheap bastards as well. More interested in f***ing the MLBPA than putting a decent product on the field. It must be a requirement to join the club.

It's not about Cruz.
Going into the season with the rotation depth after the top 3 being:
Cease
Kopech
Lopez
Stiever

With 3/4 on innings limits is a good way to finish in 2nd place.

Masahiro Tanaka can still pitch and he's going back to Japan because nobody will offer him a reasonable deal. That's beyond ludicrous.

Screw MLB and their cheap ass owners.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Tanaka wanted to stay in NY or was going back to Japan

NYY decided against bringing him back and Mets showed no interest so he is going back to Japan ,, How is Jerry to blame for that?

Tanaka came over to NA specifically to play in NY

Last edited:

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Tanaka wanted to say in NY or was going back to Japan

NY decided against bringing him back so he is going back to Japan ,, How is Jerry to blame for that?

Tanaka came over to NA specifically to play in NY
I'm not blaming only Jerry, I'm blaming all of them.

They'd rather f*** the Players Union than put a competitive product on the field.

If there is truth to that rumor, then whatever. I think that Tanaka would have signed on the west coast but he couldn't even get a reasonable offer.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
IMO, he was not borderline, neither was Smoltz or Mussina. All three should be in the Hall.

The character clause sucks. If baseball HOF can have Ty Cobb, without a doubt the worst person in the hall, then they most certainly can include Schilling (asshat and all). I'm surprise this is even a debate.

Times have changed...

Ty Cobb was put in the Hall in 1936... :facepalm:

Schilling is a disgusting human in a time where disgusting humans are seriously looked down upon. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by this opinion from you, though. Considering I saw you crack a gay joke on here just a couple weeks ago.

Last edited:

hawksrule

May 18, 2014

Pointing to someone voted in 100 years ago as justification for ignoring the vomitous qualities of someone in 2021 isn’t interesting.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

Had no idea there was a character clause.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
because it’s a museum
Having been there it's a bit of both.

There's a ton of exhibits about the game itself and the players who played the game. There's also the "hall" portion where there are a bunch of plaques of those inducted to the hall of fame.

I don't see any reason why steroid users and douchebags should be excluded from the exhibit portion. That part of the museum is about the history of the game. It probably even makes sense to have a specific area devoted to the steroid area.

That's different than honoring an individual player who cheated with a plaque that identifies them as a uniquely great player in the history of the game.

Reactions: Illinihockey

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Having been there it's a bit of both.

There's a ton of exhibits about the game itself and the players who played the game. There's also the "hall" portion where there are a bunch of plaques of those inducted to the hall of fame.

I don't see any reason why steroid users and douchebags should be excluded from the exhibit portion. That part of the museum is about the history of the game. It probably even makes sense to have a specific area devoted to the steroid area.

That's different than honoring an individual player who cheated with a plaque that identifies them as a uniquely great player in the history of the game.

my only point of contention is there’s a lot of non-uniquely great players in the hall now

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Times have changed...

Ty Cobb was put in the Hall in 1936... :facepalm:

Schilling is a disgusting human in a time where disgusting humans are seriously looked down upon. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by this opinion from you, though. Considering I saw you crack a gay joke on here just a couple weeks ago.

Pointing to someone voted in 100 years ago as justification for ignoring the vomitous qualities of someone in 2021 isn’t interesting.

And I am saying that the HOF should be and needs to be based on what the player did during his career as a player. Schilling off-the-field nonsense should have no bearing on his HOF. Cobb was a dirty, racist scumbag. How are either of you comfortable with him in the HOF but comfortable with leaving Schilling out?

And ChiHawks, what joke are you referring to? Or are you making things up again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad