OT: Other Sports 73

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
No one said you would be obligated to. But if the two choices were less money or no money, you might take the less money.
Well yes, of course. My point is the union should stand firm on this issue.

I actually think the thing that could make this really work is salary deferrals. Players agree to cuts for this year but whatever is cut they gain back in future years.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

I actually think the thing that could make this really work is salary deferrals. Players agree to cuts for this year but whatever is cut they gain back in future years.

The players have more to lose by standing firm.

Reactions: Sarava

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Because they are not owners in the business, they are just employees. If my employer and I signed a contract for a certain amount, I would not be obligated to take less salary just because my owner's profits went down for a year.

We hear every time the CBA negotiations are going on about how the poor owners need to "bear the financial burden when things aren't good." Well, they're proving right now how those statements are complete BS.

Edit: Not to mention pro rated salaries is what BOTH sides agreed to do in March when games resumed.

It was also included in there that if games were to be played without fans, negotiations could be re-opened. And they have been.

Remember, back then there was hope this would go away in a month or so and fans could return to the parks by June or July. The situation has changed. Or certainly become more definite in that regard.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
My interest in baseball was pretty low to begin with, but this really makes me not want to watch at all now.

Reactions: Race Bannon

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL

Personally I just think they need to meet in the middle somewhere. It sounds like the only chance of fully prorated salaries are if it's a short season around 50 games.

Ultimately the owners want the tv playoff revenues. The longer the season drags on, it probably benefits them less. At least their position lends one to believe that.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
The players have more to lose by standing firm.
I think the long term damage to the sport if they can't come to a deal is massive and that absolutely hurts ownership. Especially since the NBA and NHL are looking to have figured this out.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
I think the long term damage to the sport if they can't come to a deal is massive and that absolutely hurts ownership. Especially since the NBA and NHL are looking to have figured this out.

Meh, the fans always come back because it's a great game, and I think fans have more to worry about right now than being outraged at baseball and picking sides. Meanwhile the average big league career is about five years, and when those years are over the players have no special skills that make them special dough.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Meh, the fans always come back because it's a great game, and I think fans have more to worry about right now than being outraged at baseball and picking sides. Meanwhile the average big league career is about five years, and when those years are over the players have no special skills that make them special dough.
Eh I'm really not sure how popular baseball is with young people. This is the perfect opportunity to stay relevant and get eyeballs on their sport and they are blowing it.

I just come back to deferrals again, it makes all the sense in the world to me. It gets rid of any cash flow problems from owners and ensures players are made whole.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Eh I'm really not sure how popular baseball is with young people. This is the perfect opportunity to stay relevant and get eyeballs on their sport and they are blowing it.

I just come back to deferrals again, it makes all the sense in the world to me. It gets rid of any cash flow problems from owners and ensures players are made whole.

It makes sense to you because you want to see the players made whole. While revenues are getting whacked and no fans in attendance, there is no incentive for the owners to make up salary to players at a later date.

And let me be clear, I would like there to be baseball, and I don't get caught up in which side is right and which is wrong. It really doesn't matter to me who caves in. But the reality is that the players will not be made whole, or anything resembling whole.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL

The big difference is the NBA and NHL have played most of their seasons, and the therefore the players have been paid most of their money already.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
It makes sense to you because you want to see the players made whole. While revenues are getting whacked and no fans in attendance, there is no incentive for the owners to make up salary to players at a later date.

And let me be clear, I would like there to be baseball, and I don't get caught up in which side is right and which is wrong. It really doesn't matter to me who caves in. But the reality is that the players will not be made whole, or anything resembling whole.
I meant that with respect to going below prorated.

Again we're talking about $500 million here. That is more than recoverable over a few years.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
MLB has a rich history in owners and players not getting along. They are not disappointing yet again.

I think I read that game day attendance was 1/3 of the revenue number. That is a large chunk. Unfortunately we will never know the reality of it all which is where the distrust lies. But that is the position they take when not wanting to split revenues.

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I'll admit, I haven't been following along with this stuff a ton. So owners agreed to pro-rated salaries... then decided... nah, we don't want to do that anymore, and now want to cut them even more? Is my understanding of the situation accurate?

If that's the case, I'm of the opinion that the owners can f*** off. They agreed to something, then want to back out of it? That's bullshit.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I'll admit, I haven't been following along with this stuff a ton. So owners agreed to pro-rated salaries... then decided... nah, we don't want to do that anymore, and now want to cut them even more? Is my understanding of the situation accurate?

If that's the case, I'm of the opinion that the owners can f*** off. They agreed to something, then want to back out of it? That's bullshit.
The owners claim that the March agreement included language saying that this agreement is based on having fans in the parks, and that discussions would be reopened if it's not the case.

Personally, I think the players should get their full pro-rated deals but owners should be able to defer a large chunk to future years. Everyone wins.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
The owners claim that the March agreement included language saying that this agreement is based on having fans in the parks, and that discussions would be reopened if it's not the case.

Personally, I think the players should get their full pro-rated deals but owners should be able to defer a large chunk to future years. Everyone wins.

That makes too much sense for MLB. There is no way they both agree with that LOL!.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

Aren’t fans in the stands + the secondary game day things accounting for 40% of team’s revenues for the season? That’s a pretty substantial bad unexpected loss.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Aren’t fans in the stands + the secondary game day things accounting for 40% of team’s revenues for the season? That’s a pretty substantial bad unexpected loss.
I've read the difference between pro-rated salaries and the deep cuts MLB owners proposed, assuming an 81 game schedule is ~$500 million.

While that sounds like a lot, it would be ~5% of the revenue MLB generated last year alone. Yes, there won't be fans and surely 2020 revenue will be down a TON. But owners made billions from the BAMTech sale over the past few years and players saw $0 from that sale.

Deferrals make too much sense to not happen.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
As I’ve said, I don’t care which side buckles. But I’ve heard no good faith argument as to why if there are 81 games played, players should be paid as if there are fans in the stands for those 81 games.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
As I’ve said, I don’t care which side buckles. But I’ve heard no good faith argument as to why if there are 81 games played, players should be paid as if there are fans in the stands for those 81 games.

I'm of the belief that since under the current CBA the players don't gain anything in up years, they shouldn't lose anything in a down year.

I'm also of the belief that, well, they should gain in the up years and lose in the down years. If baseball had a guaranteed revenue split like the other 3 big leagues have none of this would be an issue, they'd simply take their 50% share of whatever was earned and this would be a lot easier.

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
It would be inexcusable for both sides to piss away the remainder of this season. They are already setting up a work stoppage for 2021 when the the CBA expires.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
I'm of the belief that since under the current CBA the players don't gain anything in up years, they shouldn't lose anything in a down year.

I'm also of the belief that, well, they should gain in the up years and lose in the down years. If baseball had a guaranteed revenue split like the other 3 big leagues have none of this would be an issue, they'd simply take their 50% share of whatever was earned and this would be a lot easier.

There are down years, and then there are unprecedented circumstances. And it’s the players choice not to revenue split.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Sixers assistant coach Ime Udoka reportedly the frontrunner to become the next bulls coach.

Raptors assistant Adrian griffin also is in the running.

Doesn't look good for Jim "timeout with 3 seconds left and down by thirty" boylen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad