OT: Other possible Canadian sports franchises

Fmrnuckfan95

Dec 16, 2018
Edmonton
I'd like to see a minor league baseball team back in Edmonton, I get why they folded cause of travel time and distance, but that stadium is just sitting there doing nothing.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
I'd like to see a minor league baseball team back in Edmonton, I get why they folded cause of travel time and distance, but that stadium is just sitting there doing nothing.

The travel time increased because Vancouver and Calgary really had dumps for baseball stadiums and pretty much put themselves out of business. Unfortunately, the only buyer for the Trappers were the Eskimos and that was a dead end. The team moved to a place called Round Rock, Texas. I imagine they're still there but I haven't cared to bother to look.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The travel time increased because Vancouver and Calgary really had dumps for baseball stadiums and pretty much put themselves out of business. Unfortunately, the only buyer for the Trappers were the Eskimos and that was a dead end. The team moved to a place called Round Rock, Texas. I imagine they're still there but I haven't cared to bother to look.
Round Rock is still going. Bodog offers wagering on PCL games and I’ve thrown them in on a few parlays recently on low activity sports days, lol.

It’s a shame the Trappers left. I loved spending summer evenings in that park. The tickets were cheap and the hot dogs were so good!

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Round Rock is still going. Bodog offers wagering on PCL games and I’ve thrown them in on a few parlays recently on low activity sports days, lol.

It’s a shame the Trappers left. I loved spending summer evenings in that park. The tickets were cheap and the hot dogs were so good!

So, I went to the PCL site to see if the same teams were playing the same cities since 2004. Found that 3 teams moved and another will move next season. Gone are Colorado Springs, Portland and Tucson. They were replaced by El Paso, Reno and San Antonio. New Orleans will move to Memphis next season. Imagine, though, having to play for a team like the New Orleans Baby Cakes.

New-Orleans-Baby-Cakes-e1479255293730.jpg

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
So, I went to the PCL site to see if the same teams were playing the same cities since 2004. Found that 3 teams moved and another will move next season. Gone are Colorado Springs, Portland and Tucson. They were replaced by El Paso, Reno and San Antonio. New Orleans will move to Memphis next season. Imagine, though, having to play for a team like the New Orleans Baby Cakes.

Some of the same cities I remember are still there but the names have changed. I don’t know if that means they’ve moved and then come back or if it’s as simple as just a name change. The ones I remember were Tacoma, Salt Lake (now Bees but used to be known as Buzz) and Las Vegas (now Aviators but used to be known as 51’s). Those cities are the only ones that I remember, the rest look new to me but it’s been a long time.

Reactions: TB12 and oilers'72

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
How are things going with Halifax n the CFL? It's been rather quiet on that front again.

The group plans to buy 8 ha. of federal land called Shannon Park and put a small stadium there. 12K permanent seats on one side and 12K temporary seats on the other side.

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/news/local/halifax-cfl-stadium-under-review-speculation-deemed-media-swirl-307700/[URL="https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/news/local/halifax-cfl-stadium-under-review-speculation-deemed-media-swirl-307700/"]Halifax CFL stadium under scrutiny | The Chronicle Herald[/URL]

A sports economist weighs in and mentions that putting the stadium in a developing area would be more beneficial than putting it in the Shannon Park area.

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1528563

Halifax city council says that they won't have money for a stadium, which is strange, as the group said they'd pay for the stadium themselves in the first story.

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1550598

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I think it will happen eventually...100 years from now maybe? I assume most Canadian cities don't have the population to sustain the bigger sports franchises though I would love to see it my life time for Edmonton.

I don't really watch the CFL or NFL but I still think it would be cool to see canadian NFL teams compete for the superbowl.

Edmonton having a NBA team would be interesting. Edmonton Artics? Edmonton Wolverines? Lol.

But sustainability and interest are huge factors I would think and most canadian cities don't have the population to hold them up.

I am glad that we are part of the NHL though. Best sport in the world imho.
Arctic

Reactions: MettleMcOiler

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Does it really matter though? It's not exactly warm in Green Bay in October either.
Considering fans complain about games here in October, yes it would matter if the majority of your season is played in poor weather.

Add that to high profile athletes not wanting to play in Canada and it's a recipe for disaster.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
I admit its a stretch, especially considering we are rivals. Edmonton people probably wouldn't cheer for an NBA team in Calgary just out of spite. Still though they aren't that far apart. They are getting close to being in the same area. We know tons of people in the North West Territories watch the Oilers. IT isn't so much distance as having no other teams in between. If you could get Edmonton and Calgary to support the same team, it isn't' crazy to think of them as the same population. It is a 3-hour drive, not 10.
Huh? I'm guessing you aren't too familiar with the geography of the province. Nor the rivalry between the cities.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Edmonton will never get a NFL or NBA team. This is not a market either of those leagues would be interested in.

An MLS team would likely be the most realistic opportunity for the next major franchise here. They could sustain a team with 20,000+ fans.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I really can't see Canada getting another NHL, NBA or MLB team any time soon.

I seem to recall media reporting maybe a handful of years ago that there was some rich dude in Toronto that was going to build a massive hockey arena. People asked him if he was going to try to get a 2nd NHL franchise in the greater Toronto area and he was playing it all coy and low key. I haven't heard anything about that project in years and assume that it died.

We don't have the population for many more big time pro teams and I really don't see Canada going through a big population boom in my lifetime.

Reactions: joestevens29

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Unfortunately I have a feeling it will be gone once they start revitalizing that area.

If they do in fact make it more than just housing and make it an entertainment district that involves the river I'd be fine with that. If it just becomes a housing development I'd be disappointed.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
The stadium is not sitting empty. The Edmonton Prospects baseball club plays there.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
Edmonton will never get a NFL or NBA team. This is not a market either of those leagues would be interested in.

An MLS team would likely be the most realistic opportunity for the next major franchise here. They could sustain a team with 20,000+ fans.

FC Edmonton is barely supported. MLS is even more unlikely IMO

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
The stadium is not sitting empty. The Edmonton Prospects baseball club plays there.
No offense to the prospects, but that doesn't really count. It is true something is there to be watched, but they are nowhere close to deserving that type of stadium. They can't even hit HR there. That is a park for MLB minor league teams, that is what should be there. Really a shame.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I really can't see Canada getting another NHL, NBA or MLB team any time soon.

I seem to recall media reporting maybe a handful of years ago that there was some rich dude in Toronto that was going to build a massive hockey arena. People asked him if he was going to try to get a 2nd NHL franchise in the greater Toronto area and he was playing it all coy and low key. I haven't heard anything about that project in years and assume that it died.

We don't have the population for many more big time pro teams and I really don't see Canada going through a big population boom in my lifetime.

After how well the raptors were supported I got to think NFL would be interested in TO.

Canada is increasing population, somewhat rapidly. Also I get Canada is 1/10 the size of the states, but we actually have less than 1/10 of the big sports teams. There are roughly 120 big sports franchises (each of the big 4 have 30ish teams) and Canada only has 11. So it would not be out of line to get 1 or 2 more. I admit though, won't happen soon. TO for NFL, Montreal for NBA and MLB, and QC for NHL have to all be possibilities.

Reactions: MessierII

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
No offense to the prospects, but that doesn't really count. It is true something is there to be watched, but they are nowhere close to deserving that type of stadium. They can't even hit HR there. That is a park for MLB minor league teams, that is what should be there. Really a shame.
I dislike baseball so I wouldn't go see any level of the game there. I was merely pointing out that the stadium is currently being used.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I dislike baseball so I wouldn't go see any level of the game there. I was merely pointing out that the stadium is currently being used.

Fair enough, I guess my point is just that it really isn't' being used for remotely what it was intended to be used for. It essentially is being wasted. Again no offense to the prospects, but they could just as easily play at a high school field. Thats what the other teams in their league do.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Fair enough, I guess my point is just that it really isn't' being used for remotely what it was intended to be used for. It essentially is being wasted. Again no offense to the prospects, but they could just as easily play at a high school field. Thats what the other teams in their league do.
Outside of some reach guy having a love for baseball I just don't see that stadium getting the proper use. Even then, didn't Katz own the last ball team we had here?

Really shame, I loved that ballpark growing up.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Outside of some reach guy having a love for baseball I just don't see that stadium getting the proper use. Even then, didn't Katz own the last ball team we had here?

Really shame, I loved that ballpark growing up.

The Capitals (former Crackers-Cats) were owned by Katz from 2009 to 2011 in the North American League but he withdrew the team as the there were only 4 other teams in the league. He folded the team in 2013, as he couldn't another league to play in. Part of baseball's problem of not wanting to play in Canada.

DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray
I think you guys are severely underestimating the financial investment needed for an MLS team. They’re not cheap and the league wants soccer specific stadiums or modern stadiums like in ATL, not antiquated monsters like Commonwealth. The three teams we have now are all we’re going to get.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Good lord...what the **** is a Baby Cake?

Reactions: oilers'72

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
I think you guys are severely underestimating the financial investment needed for an MLS team. They’re not cheap and the league wants soccer specific stadiums or modern stadiums like in ATL, not antiquated monsters like Commonwealth. The three teams we have now are all we’re going to get.
I don't disagree. I just think of the other major sports, a MLS team would be the most feasible and the best fit.

I think it would take a billionaire owner who would help build a new stadium, buy the Eskimos and get an MLS team. Only way it works.

Commonweath is not a good stadium for anything other than track & field. I wish the city would stop sinking money in to this and start planning for major reno's - but that is for another discussion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad