OT: Other possible Canadian sports franchises

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Huh? I'm guessing you aren't too familiar with the geography of the province. Nor the rivalry between the cities.

Huh, I live in Edmonton. I said it was a stretch. All I am basically saying is that I think quite a few people from Saskatoon will attend Riders games. If you could get over the rivalry (which I don't think you can) people in either city could support the other cities team. Just a thought experiment that's all. Clearly, they are different cities, but they aren' that far apart. It's a relatively short drive.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Huh? I'm guessing you aren't too familiar with the geography of the province. Nor the rivalry between the cities.
I just can't see it ever happening. People can barely find time to attend a 3 hour sports event in their own city. Travelling 3-4 hours to Calgary, watching the game and then travelling 3-4 hours back after just seems like something nobody would do. Who has 12 hours to do that? Maybe even longer in the winter.
The closest possibility would be if the team split games between the two cities,but even then, I can't see either city supporting the Alberta Team vs and Edmonton or Calgary team.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I just can't see it ever happening. People can barely find time to attend a 3 hour sports event in their own city. Travelling 3-4 hours to Calgary, watching the game and then travelling 3-4 hours back after just seems like something nobody would do. Who has 12 hours to do that? Maybe even longer in the winter.
The closest possibility would be if the team split games between the two cities,but even then, I can't see either city supporting the Alberta Team vs and Edmonton or Calgary team.

Well, I am just saying it happens in other cities. Apparently lots treck from Saskatoon to Regina. I am sure there are many other examples. When the Jays play in Seattle of Minny they get thousands. Just saying people will travel, it isn't' that far to go, but, ya I don't see them overcoming the rivalry.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't disagree. I just think of the other major sports, a MLS team would be the most feasible and the best fit.

I think it would take a billionaire owner who would help build a new stadium, buy the Eskimos and get an MLS team. Only way it works.

Commonweath is not a good stadium for anything other than track & field. I wish the city would stop sinking money in to this and start planning for major reno's - but that is for another discussion.
Why would the City look at putting major renos in? The stadium simply isn't used nearly enough to do this. And the whole if they build it they will come isn't worth it either.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Well, I am just saying it happens in other cities. Apparently lots treck from Saskatoon to Regina. I am sure there are many other examples. When the Jays play in Seattle of Minny they get thousands. Just saying people will travel, it isn't' that far to go, but, ya I don't see them overcoming the rivalry.
That's because SASK has nothing for pro sports. I mean a weekend game in Alberta or Manitoba they will make the trip as well. Not a lot of franchises are like that.

Even to get to that point, it's not something that happens over night. Takes years for people to come around.

As for Seattle and Jays. It's as if Seattle is a part of Canada when it comes to sports. People joke about how the Jays or Raptors are Canada's team. The Seahawks and to a lessor extent the Mariners are Canada's teams as well.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The Tampa Bay Rays have received permission from Major League Baseball to explore the possibility of playing early-season games in Tampa, but the remainder of the year in Montreal.

https://www.tsn.ca/mlb-okays-the-ta...-playing-some-of-season-in-montreal-1.1325846

I honestly don't get the whole story. Says that both cities would need new stadiums as well. Seems like a massive investment and then what does it actually do to the fans in Tampa that only get the first half of the year? The interest is already poor there. Playoff games aren't really discussed either.

Not like Isles where at least Brooklyn and Long Island are close to each other

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad