OT: Other LA Sports: LA Galaxy, Dodgers, Lakers, Clippers, Rams, Chargers, Angels. USC, UCLA etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
TV Ratings: 'Sunday Night Football' Opens Down on Last Season - Variety

I watched most of the Cowboys vs Rams game, so I was a bit surprised ratings were down 23% from last year's Sunday night opener featuring the Patriots and Steelers. The Rams/Cowboys matchup would have been a ratings winner most years.

While the game itself ended with a narrow victory for the Rams, the numbers for the game were hardly a victory for NBC. According to early Nielsen numbers, around 15 million viewers tuned in on Sunday night, and the game scored a 4.7 rating in the key adults 18-49 demographic.

That viewership figure represents roughly a 23% drop from the early numbers put up by last year’s “Sunday Night Football” opener between the New England Patriots and the Pittsburgh Steelers. Despite that game being a blow-out, it garnered 22.2 million viewers on NBC, which last night’s game is unlikely to match, even with the obviously important Los Angeles market comes into play later in the day. This post will be updated with the final “SNF” numbers once they become available.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I don't even understand how they can properly identify ratings anymore with all the streaming & viewing options available. I stream games at home. Many times i'm watching on my phone or computer because i'm not TV accessible at the time.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Is there a manager who self-sabotages as much as Dave Roberts in any sport

Don't get me wrong I blame the players plenty for being seemingly unable to get any emotion going in any game but watching Kershaw walk off the mound yesterday felt gross.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I don't even understand how they can properly identify ratings anymore with all the streaming & viewing options available. I stream games at home. Many times i'm watching on my phone or computer because i'm not TV accessible at the time.
It is actually now easier for them to track ratings that way than the old ways with diaries and neilsen boxes

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
Is there a manager who self-sabotages as much as Dave Roberts in any sport

Don't get me wrong I blame the players plenty for being seemingly unable to get any emotion going in any game but watching Kershaw walk off the mound yesterday felt gross.

Didn't like Kershaw getting pulled when it happened either. But also how many times have we seen Kershaw left in too long only to get shellacked?

I also don't think the Dodgers give a f*** (relatively speaking) about these games, tbh. Or at least management doesn't. There is no home field advantage (outside of playing in Dodger Stadium in the opening round), the 5-8 placement at this point is about as random as an NHL lottery ball, and placing 1-4 seems to be moot. We're playing the Padres in the second round in a bubble either way (...as long as they win a best of 3 first rounder). So for them, Kershaw's pitch count is more important than putting him at 115 pitches trying to gut it out.

Also:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Didn't like Kershaw getting pulled when it happened either. But also how many times have we seen Kershaw left in too long only to get shellacked?

I also don't think the Dodgers give a f*** (relatively speaking) about these games, tbh. Or at least management doesn't. There is no home field advantage (outside of playing in Dodger Stadium in the opening round), the 5-8 placement at this point is about as random as an NHL lottery ball, and placing 1-4 seems to be moot. We're playing the Padres in the second round in a bubble either way (...as long as they win a best of 3 first rounder). So for them, Kershaw's pitch count is more important than putting him at 115 pitches trying to gut it out.

Also:

That's for sure. I guess I'm just worried about their ability to flip the switch and turn on the heat and emotion when they've spent all (shortened) season getting babied.

Then you look across at the Padres and they're totally jacked. Yes it's their biggest games in decades so I get the disparity in give-a-f***-o-meter. But it reminds me a bit of an NHL team cruising into the playoffs and being a high seed vs. a team that's been fighting and scrapping and playing essentially playoff games for weeks just for the opportunity.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007

Yup, if Kershaw stays in and gives up the runs people would be complaining about Roberts leaving him in.

Should have been out of the inning at 3-1 anyway, but the defense wasn't making plays.

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I'm not sure I have an issue with Kershaw being pulled, but Roberts bitching about the home run celebration seemed weird given no one on the team seemed to have an issue with it. I am concerned with the team's drive though and starting pitchers not going deep in games.

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
Then you look across at the Padres and they're totally jacked. Yes it's their biggest games in decades so I get the disparity in give-a-f***-o-meter. But it reminds me a bit of an NHL team cruising into the playoffs and being a high seed vs. a team that's been fighting and scrapping and playing essentially playoff games for weeks just for the opportunity.

I feel ya. But on the other hand, the Dallas Stars.

And Lakers.

But, maybe not analogous all around, since the first round is a 3 game series.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
I also think the 3 game series would have made more sense if the home team only had to win one game, and the lower seed had to win 2, like the NBA structured it's 8th seed play-in. Re-seeding, as well.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The B1G 10 will resume playing football in mid-October. So now college football has the Power 4, and the Weak 1.

Reactions: Herby

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
The Clippers losing is almost as good as Vegas losing. So much premature chest thumping put in its rightful place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad