OT: Other LA Sports: Dodgers, Angels, Lakers, Clippers, Rams, USC, UCLA, Fantasy, MMA etc #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Yup, #12 in the South Region Oregon vs #13 UC Irvine playing for a berth in the Sweet Sixteen.

With the Kings season absolutely sucking, I have been following the college basketball season more closely than I have in years and I found it to be quite entertaining. Took some side trips in my travels this season to meet up with my brother and catch some Sun Devil basketball this past season. Fun team to watch with lots of passion even if they were slightly schizo and inconsistent.

The NBA is unwatchable, but it's fun to see the momentum swings involved in college basketball and much like college football the game is more unpredictable because these kids make a ton of mistakes while still playing very hard.

Should be a good game between ASU and the Anteaters. My brother went to UCI and since they are the closest school to where I grew up I'll be rooting for them, but either way it'll be fun to see either them or ASU in the sweet 16.

UM will be out at the Pond next weekend. Second straight year in SoCal for regional final (last year at Staples). The Zags do worry me though, although luckily I expect smaller crowds from them than any of the other 1 seeds we would have had to face in their region, so I'm cool with it.

This has been a sub-par tournament for upsets and cinderella teams so far, but it's still to be the best or 2nd best annual sporting event/playoff, it's either this or the NHL playoffs.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Should be a good game between ASU and the Anteaters. My brother went to UCI and since they are the closest school to where I grew up I'll be rooting for them, but either way it'll be fun to see either them or ASU in the sweet 16.

UM will be out at the Pond next weekend. Second straight year in SoCal for regional final (last year at Staples). The Zags do worry me though, although luckily I expect smaller crowds from them than any of the other 1 seeds we would have had to face in their region, so I'm cool with it.

This has been a sub-par tournament for upsets and cinderella teams so far, but it's still to be the best or 2nd best annual sporting event/playoff, it's either this or the NHL playoffs.
Unfortunately Herby, ASU didn't make it to the round of 32. All that is left for the Pac 12 is Oregon.

Reactions: Herby

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
My bad. I got my Pac12 lower seeds confused.

Just switch ASU to Oregon in everything I said in the previous post.
Yeah, I will enjoy watching the rest of the NCAA basketball tournament for sure.

It's on to college baseball season for ASU, and the Devils are off to a good start at 22-1 overall, and 5-1 in the conference. Still a long way to go and a tough series against Arizona next weekend. ASU didn't play a very tough non-conference schedule, so hard to say if they are really in contention to make it to Omaha this season.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Yeah, I will enjoy watching the rest of the NCAA basketball tournament for sure.

It's on to college baseball season for ASU, and the Devils are off to a good start at 22-1 overall, and 5-1 in the conference. Still a long way to go and a tough series against Arizona next weekend. ASU didn't play a very tough non-conference schedule, so hard to say if they are really in contention to make it to Omaha this season.

Is baseball as big a deal on campus as hoops and football?

And hey, ASU is in the NCAA's for hockey, simply amazing.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Is baseball as big a deal on campus as hoops and football?

And hey, ASU is in the NCAA's for hockey, simply amazing.
Baseball used to be played on campus, and you could simply walk in for free with a student ID. Most of the non-confernce games and conference games on Fridays were at 2pm or 3pm, so you could catch a few innings, or the entire and then take off. Saturday and Sunday conference games were attended extremely well. When I was in school at ASU the Sundevils were a national power and they played in the 6-Pac (ASU, USC, UCLA, Arizona, Stanford, and Cal). It was still the Pac-10 in those days, and the Oregon and Washington schools did not have much success in baseball.

Bottom line: Back in the day baseball was a very big deal and ASU often hosted regional NCAA playoff games.

Now ASU plays at Phoenix Municipal Stadium (former home of the Phoenix Giants/Firebirds - SF Giants AAA affiliate before the Diamondbacks arrived in Phoenix). It isn't a long drive from the campus, but it is still off campus, so I suspect the attendance isn't what it used to be when I was in school. The program has also been on the slide in recent years, but they seem to be turning it around and have an extremely potent offense this season, which is something ASU fans always expected then they were a national power year after year. Hope ASU baseball is having a bit of a renaissance.

The hockey team is having a terrific season. How many NCAA hockey programs can tell a recruit, "Come to practice in the afternoon in your shorts, leave in your shorts, and check out the local talent who will also be wearing their shorts. Oh, and get a great education while you're at it."

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Duke escapes a major upset. It's a shame UCF would have been a great Cinderella story going forward.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
How Arizona State's hockey program moved from club status to an NCAA tournament team.
ASU Hockey: The team that put Sun Devil hockey on the map

Anyone think there will be more Pac-12 schools join ASU in participating in Division 1 NCAA hockey? I would think Colorado or the Oregon and Washington schools might be at the top of the list. Having a donor step up with $32 million to start the program at ASU certainly didn't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad