OT: Other LA Sports: Dodgers, Angels, Lakers, Clippers, Rams, USC, UCLA, Fantasy, MMA etc #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
NBA player union figures apparently reflect a low number of registered voters yet we are supposed to believe that these guys care so much.

It goes back to what I was saying in the Milbury discussion: so much of this is just a show with people *thinking* they are making a change but all they are doing is putting on a performance that is soon forgotten while nothing actually changes. Like, I love my Tar Heels but we are making Kenny Smith walking off the set a headline story? Symbolic stuff like this is akin to "thoughts and prayers" after another mass shooting.

Carter is right when he basically asks "what are you going to do?" to make change happen. Aliu's tweet really crystallizes the worst parts of the movement: pick-a-side, black/white, no nuance, no idea what it really takes to make change, uneducated reactionary trash that makes him look stupid.
Imagine the impact it would make if players struck over the violence which is occurring in our towns and cities on a nightly basis. No games until the nightly violence stops. No games until all protests occur during daylight hours only.

A store owner's windows are smashed and the store looted last night. Sorry, no games today.

If the players truly want to attack the problem striking over excessive force by police officers is definitely a good reason, but so is striking over the rioting which occurs each and every night.

Last edited:

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
Imagine the impact it would make if players struck over the violence which is occurring in our towns and cities on a nightly basis. No games until the nightly violence stops. No games until all protests occur during daylight hours only.

If the players truly want to attack the problem striking over excessive force by police officers is definitely a good reason, but so is striking over the rioting which occurs each and every night.

the police are the rioters

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I don’t care about the response, it’s true. Have you been to a protest?

I don't want to waste our time on this, because we aren't starting from the same point of reference.

Are there cases of excessive force used by officers at the "protests"? Yes. The police are not rioting.

Do the "protests" often turn into riots? Yes.

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
Yup, we are definitely off the rails now in terms of this forum being the appropriate place for this discussion.

sorry, but you brought up the equivalence of windows being smashed/property damage vs human beings being shot. these things are not the same.

Reactions: jfont

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
which side is killing, maiming, and injuring people?
that fine gentleman that sparked last night's minneapolis rioting had just killed someone in cold blood before committing suicide in front of a bunch of teenagers if that answers your question

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
What bothers me about issues such as this is the problem with police brutality/excessive force is largely a result of poor supervisor/discipline and poor training. The police aren't an occupying force. They are public sector employees. They are employees of particular municipalities. If there is a problem with retaining "bad" cops -- and there is -- and if there is a problem with inadequate police training -- and there is -- the issue is why aren't these municipalities doing a better job? The city leaders talking about "defunding" police are talking about defunding their police.

I don't have an issue with basketball players or baseball players not wanting to play a game so they can mourn or protest. I would appreciate it if they spoke out more against mob violence and rioting. Both George Floyd's and Jacob Blake's families have done so, emphatically. The violent reactions to these shootings are causing more harm to the communities than the shootings have done. It's really sad that the failure to properly respond to mob violence will lead to more people killed and more businesses burned to the ground. Some of those businesses will not come back and the harm will be felt for decades.
Increased police training should most definitely be a part of the solution.

Another thing that is rarely brought up and one I think is an important part of bringing change is educating the public about how to act when you get pulled over or are confronted by a police officer.

I don't want to generalize too much but the problem a lot of times with these excessive violence cases is they start with a guy getting pulled over, for whatever stupid reason we think it may be, and not knowing how to act and talk appropriately. Going into an encounter with a preconceived idea that cops kill black men, it just won't end well, and this is just what a lot of people are thinking right now.

Robert Horry in the video brought up an good point about him telling his sons to just do what the cops say. I think Shaq said something similar in an interview before as well.

If we can educate people to be more respectful to each other, civilians and cops, acknowledging that being a cop is a helluva tough job, and that the guy that just got pulled over probably is pissed that they got pulled over for what they probably think is minor, I think it would greatly decrease these tragic endings. People will have a better idea of what to do in this situation, and cops will have a better idea of the type of behavior they'll see during these encounters.

Reactions: KINGS17

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Robert Horry in the video brought up an good point about him telling his sons to just do what the cops say. I think Shaq said something similar in an interview before as well.
it's literally the simplest thing. i don't like cops, but i have a tremendous amount of respect for the legal system. if they tell you to do something unlawful, do it and sue them into the f***in ground afterwards. don't get shot over your ego.

you know those "1st amendment audit" kooks on youtube that walk around police stations and federal buildings videotaping to bait the cops into arresting them? that's how you actually get things to change, you let them bungle and make mistakes because those lawsuit payouts come with mandatory training

Reactions: Master Yoda

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
The other obnoxious thing about the NBA strike is just how "safe" it is. There is really very little opposition to the central idea of their position. Almost every major corporation will support them, our media will love them for it, sports writers will stroke their ego's. And there is zero risk of any of them losing their jobs over it. Just feels so corporate, and an excellent opportunity to get their tires pumped a bit more.

Reactions: ibleedkings

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Change is hard. People don't know what to do, people aren't on the same page, and some people are out there doing more harm than good.

The leagues and players have made a clear effort to put a message of unity and equality out and yet the same problems persist. Is canceling games going to do anything? Is donating to charity going to do anything? Is kneeling going to do anything? Is voting going to do anything? Is protesting going to do anything? Maybe, maybe not, nothing has so far. But it seems to me the players felt they needed to try something else and I don't have a problem with that.

There are clear problems here and multiple factors contributing, racism, fear, poverty, education, divisiveness, etc. etc., and a lot of the posts here reflect that. I'd encourage people to consider if their posts on the subject are doing anything productive or if they're merely furthering the divide.

kingsholygrail

Predictable 1-2
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Change is hard. People don't know what to do, people aren't on the same page, and some people are out there doing more harm than good.

The leagues and players have made a clear effort to put a message of unity and equality out and yet the same problems persist. Is canceling games going to do anything? Is donating to charity going to do anything? Is kneeling going to do anything? Is voting going to do anything? Is protesting going to do anything? Maybe, maybe not, nothing has so far. But it seems to me the players felt they needed to try something else and I don't have a problem with that.

There are clear problems here and multiple factors contributing, racism, fear, poverty, education, divisiveness, etc. etc., and a lot of the posts here reflect that. I'd encourage people to consider if their posts on the subject are doing anything productive or if they're merely furthering the divide.
Making sure the narrative isn't hijacked and warped into something it's not is being productive. People still think Michael Brown was shot in the back with his hands in the air when it's been shown over and over that that was not the case at all. They still evoke his name and it makes no sense. I don't understand this love for thugs.

Reactions: ibleedkings
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad