OT: Other LA Sports: Dodgers, Angels, Lakers, Clippers, Rams, USC, UCLA, Fantasy, MMA etc #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
If they want to strike that is their right. Just wish complete and total clowns like Burnside would shut up about the NHL deciding to go on, that to is their right. These people just want to roast anyone who doesn't fall completely in line with their thinking. Then again, maybe we don't want to know what Burnside thinks about the NHL, still never forget him predicting 4 times that the team with the most dominant playoff run of the last 3+ decades was going to lose, idiot.

I hope a lot of NBA/MLB fans that were introduced to hockey for the first time tonight and will grow into fans of the game.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If they want to strike that is their right. Just wish complete and total clowns like Burnside would shut up about the NHL deciding to go on, that to is their right. These people just want to roast anyone who doesn't fall completely in line with their thinking. Then again, maybe we don't want to know what Burnside thinks about the NHL, still never forget him predicting 4 times that the team with the most dominant playoff run of the last 3+ decades was going to lose, idiot.

I hope a lot of NBA/MLB fans that were introduced to hockey for the first time tonight and will grow into fans of the game.

Anson Carter had imo a great take

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
If they want to strike that is their right.

Isn't a strike meant to be about terms of employment? Let's not get this confused, this is a protest and any other job you'd be susceptible to being fired for it. Must be nice to be so privileged in your job that you can just walk off with no concern of being fired.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Isn't a strike meant to be about terms of employment? Let's not get this confused, this is a protest and any other job you'd be susceptible to being fired for it. Must be nice to be so privileged in your job that you can just walk off with no concern of being fired.

Nothing says strikes have to be about the terms of employment. Google “political strikes.”

Reactions: tbrown33

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
i sure wish i had a video of a sports commentator/athlete describing how buddy was violating an RO, had a warrant, they had already tried wrestling with him, tried tasing him, he was holding a linoleum knife and how kyle dinkheller died for allowing a man to get back to his car - to counter the people disguising their political statements itt

never let facts get in the way of a good story though

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Anson Carter had imo a great take

I liked Anson Carter's answer. He essentially is saying a symbolic protest takes little time, but real change takes a hard work and much time.

Are people who are protesting willing to put in the work beyond symbolic protests? Will others listen without the symbolic protests? I think others are already tuning this out, because the protesters don't seem to be willing to put in the hard work required of them, which leads to others not taking them seriously.

Now we have an example (and I am sure there is more than one) of vigilante justice, which also solves nothing. The people running the various cities better wake up and start vigorously enforcing the curfews to re-establish some order in the cities and towns.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
i sure wish i had a video of a sports commentator/athlete describing how buddy was violating an RO, had a warrant, they had already tried wrestling with him, tried tasing him, he was holding a linoleum knife and how kyle dinkheller died for allowing a man to get back to his car - to counter the people disguising their political statements itt

never let facts get in the way of a good story though

I wish there were commentators/athletes that said if are being arrested comply with the arrest, but know if there is any misconduct by the police we will fund an army of attorneys to fight for you. That would stop the normalization of resisting arrest which seems to be the main cause of all of this, and if there is misconduct by the police that will be handled as punitively as possible.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I wish there were commentators/athletes that said if are being arrested comply with the arrest, but know if there is any misconduct by the police we will fund an army of attorneys to fight for you. That would stop the normalization of resisting arrest which seems to be the main cause of all of this, and if there is misconduct by the police that will be handled as punitively as possible.
Definitely agree. The protectionism established by law enforcement unions is a serious problem which must be addressed. Change in this regard is part of the answer.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Justifiable emotional response from Horry. He is correct, I don't fully understand as he does, and I likely will never be able to fully understand. However, any person watching that situation unfold is disturbed by it and wants justice.

The officers are on administrative leave during the investigation. If they are exonerated, there needs to be a complete disclosure of all of the evidence and the rationale for the exoneration. If they are charged, they have the right to a fair trial and the facts will come out in court.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
These guys are supposed to be role models to the youth of the country...they are basically saying it's OK to walk off your job in protest. I hope the guy who works at Walmart knows it will get him fired.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
NBA player union figures apparently reflect a low number of registered voters yet we are supposed to believe that these guys care so much.

It goes back to what I was saying in the Milbury discussion: so much of this is just a show with people *thinking* they are making a change but all they are doing is putting on a performance that is soon forgotten while nothing actually changes. Like, I love my Tar Heels but we are making Kenny Smith walking off the set a headline story? Symbolic stuff like this is akin to "thoughts and prayers" after another mass shooting.

Carter is right when he basically asks "what are you going to do?" to make change happen. Aliu's tweet really crystallizes the worst parts of the movement: pick-a-side, black/white, no nuance, no idea what it really takes to make change, uneducated reactionary trash that makes him look stupid.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
...and obviously Akim Aliu just wants to have a conversation, right? You are correct. Carter gave a thoughtful answer to a serious question. Aliu's tweet is a waste of time.

NBA player union figures apparently reflect a low number of registered voters yet we are supposed to believe that these guys care so much.

It goes back to what I was saying in the Milbury discussion: so much of this is just a show with people *thinking* they are making a change but all they are doing is putting on a performance that is soon forgotten while nothing actually changes. Like, I love my Tar Heels but we are making Kenny Smith walking off the set a headline story? Symbolic stuff like this is akin to "thoughts and prayers" after another mass shooting.

Carter is right when he basically asks "what are you going to do?" to make change happen. Aliu's tweet really crystallizes the worst parts of the movement: pick-a-side, black/white, no nuance, no idea what it really takes to make change, uneducated reactionary trash that makes him look stupid.

I have a hard time really judging Aliu because he's been through some shit--but it's illustrative of how clear, unrestrained rage loses the message, imo. I don't really blame him for the outburst, but he has to know that's not going to have much affect.

Carter's take--as well as Siakam this am--seems to really draw a more thoughtful tone, and ask the questions I know you two and others have asked previously--so what? What's next? You captured this moment in reflection--now let's do something about it.

It's not just performative--the moment the game wasn't going on, the Bucks were in the locker room trying to get a hold of the AG. Siakam wonders aloud if what we're doing is impactful, and what else we can do. They took the day to really think and do, not just as a day off. That's much more powerful imo, and I hope it leads to something even more meaningful. Unlike some others I do see these protests and moments of silence as important for raising awareness and setting the agenda--but what's been missing is effective leadership and outcomes-driven-action. Last time, it started well, and frayed off--I'm intrigued to see what will happen this time. The various leagues have started some things on the court, now they're going to have to move more off it. But I do find really interesting how they all intersect.

kingsholygrail

Fastest Series Loss 0-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Thing is, there is no national police force(The FBI is the closest we'll ever have hopefully). Every community either has their own department or they rely on the county/state depending on their size. As we all know, every community has different needs. The focus should be directed to your own community. Are you satisfied with your law enforcement professionals? Are there things you think they can improve on? What are the needs of your community? Because that's where change actually happens. No weird national standard is going to work and I shy away from giving the executive branch an official control of law enforcement in this country. That's rocky ground. Being involved is WORK. Do any of you go to your local council meetings? I haven't been to one in years and I like to think I'm informed. But getting involved takes time and effort. But if you're passionate enough, you should be willing to put in that work.

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005
What bothers me about issues such as this is the problem with police brutality/excessive force is largely a result of poor supervisor/discipline and poor training. The police aren't an occupying force. They are public sector employees. They are employees of particular municipalities. If there is a problem with retaining "bad" cops -- and there is -- and if there is a problem with inadequate police training -- and there is -- the issue is why aren't these municipalities doing a better job? The city leaders talking about "defunding" police are talking about defunding their police.

I don't have an issue with basketball players or baseball players not wanting to play a game so they can mourn or protest. I would appreciate it if they spoke out more against mob violence and rioting. Both George Floyd's and Jacob Blake's families have done so, emphatically. The violent reactions to these shootings are causing more harm to the communities than the shootings have done. It's really sad that the failure to properly respond to mob violence will lead to more people killed and more businesses burned to the ground. Some of those businesses will not come back and the harm will be felt for decades.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020

Well come on...let's be real. Professional sports players are not comparable to the average Joe. To do so makes no sense. You could also say it must be nice to make millions to play a game/sport -- which is true. But it's also a fact. Entertainment (sports, movie/TV stars, musicians, etc.) are different than the average working person. Same with a CEO from a top Fortune 100+ company. They are short in supply and have all the leverage -- and get paid bucks. I don't understand why people continue to fail in understanding this fact. It's apples & oranges comparison. Movie stars and musicians are making $50M+/year...way more than athletes. But that's what societe has valued....if it valued teachers, constructions workers, office admin workers, etc. the same then you can discuss it comparatively. But it's not -- so you can't.

Must be nice to be a lead signer for a band and get any chicks you want at any time of the day (que Dire Straits 'Money for Nothing'). Yeah it must. But that's life and it ain't happening for you, so deal with it. Must be nice being born with a silver spoon (cough Donald Trump), etc. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad