GDT: Other Games Around The League 2021 - now with 100% more playoffs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I often consider the frequency with which teams ice the puck to be an indicator of skill, smarts, and work ethic of that team. I hadn’t even noticed until the first icing of the whole period for either team occurred with five minutes left, but it was very jarring compared to the Sharks, who ice the puck constantly.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I often consider the frequency with which teams ice the puck to be an indicator of skill, smarts, and work ethic of that team. I hadn’t even noticed until the first icing of the whole period for either team occurred with five minutes left, but it was very jarring compared to the Sharks, who ice the puck with impunity.
In the good years, they would do it on purpose at the end of games.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
In the good years, they would do it on purpose at the end of games.

Sure. But that’s tactical. The current Sharks ice the puck because they’re too lazy, dumb, or unskilled to avoid it. They’re so relieved to get out of their own zone they have no will or skill to try and make a play.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
The Caps-Bruins game was hard to watch as a Sharks fan. Everything the Sharks are lacking:

1) Tremendous skill (what a play by Pastrnak!)
2) Tremendous will
3) Big players stepping up
4) Depth players stepping up (what a pass by Grzelcyk!)
5) Goaltenders giving their team a chance
6) Smart coaching

Even in their prime...all I could think about was, how if Joe Thornton had been Patrice Bergeron on the Bruins's 2nd goal, he would have tried to pass it to someone instead of going for the shot.

Let's not get started on the Colorado series. Colorado has three players who are arguably better than any player the Sharks have ever drafted (save Kiprusoff).

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Blais is such a piece of shit. a trip, slash, and dangerous hit all in the last 15 seconds. He's actually a good 4th line player, just has no integrity

Sure. But that’s tactical. The current Sharks ice the puck because they’re too lazy, dumb, or unskilled to avoid it. They’re so relieved to get out of their own zone they have no will or skill to try and make a play.

Which describes Burns' missile-like passes to no one? :sarcasm:

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
And Karlsson’s passes that no one can catch. I wish there was a site that tracked team icings, I would be surprised if any team iced the puck as much as us.
Conflating him with Burns, Karlsson has an almost supernatural ability to put pucks on tape. As of right now it is his most (and maybe only remaining?) elite skill. If a player misses on a Karlsson pass it's usually because they are just completely lost or skilless.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Conflating him with Burns, Karlsson has an almost supernatural ability to put pucks on tape. As of right now it is his most (and maybe only remaining?) elite skill. If a player misses on a Karlsson pass it's usually because they are just completely lost or skilless.

That’s... literally what I was insinuating. That the rest of the Sharks are incapable of catching a damn pass, which then often turns into icings.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I still think he’s got an elite shot, but he for some reason rarely uses it.

Reactions: Alwalys

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
I still think he’s got an elite shot, but he for some reason rarely uses it.

He can shoot but his footwork is lazy. He just stands in one spot, making it easy on shotblockers. Compare that to Makar skating around the whole zone trying to find a shooting lane and you can see why his offense has dried up

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Blais is such a piece of shit. a trip, slash, and dangerous hit all in the last 15 seconds. He's actually a good 4th line player, just has no integrity

Which describes Burns' missile-like passes to no one? :sarcasm:

He's practicing for the PK. ;)

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
And Karlsson’s passes that no one can catch. I wish there was a site that tracked team icings, I would be surprised if any team iced the puck as much as us.

I think there was a PP in the final game where Karlsson swiped a laser pass from the right side to Barabonov on the left. I was shocked that Barabanov handled it with no issue.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
He can shoot but his footwork is lazy. He just stands in one spot, making it easy on shotblockers. Compare that to Makar skating around the whole zone trying to find a shooting lane and you can see why his offense has dried up
It is, but he can also get it off pretty quickly which helps. The rocket against Colorado is a prime example of that.

He used to shoot a lot more. Don't know why he got away from that. He went from 250-300 a year to about 120-130 with the Sharks. The system is part of that.

Last edited:

Gunnin54

Nov 7, 2012
He used to be so good at skating horizontally across the blue line too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad