Other Domestic Leagues 18/19

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
And Galatasaray are only 7th, and Besiktas 4th. It's not even Trabzonspor leading, they at least have a history of winning some titles during the past decades.

The leaders Basaksehir have been knocking on the door for the last couple of seasons, maybe this time they'll win it all. They have a lot of experienced players, we'll see if they have enough legs to last through rest of the season.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Fener's woes continue as they blew a two goal lead at home to some team named Erzurum (honestly never heard of them :D), whats worse it was a six pointer too as they are equal on points and both in the bottom three

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
The Passion of Mike Piazza: How the midlife crisis of a...

When Mike Piazza arrived in Reggio Emilia, he was greeted as a hero.

It was June 18, 2016. Everyone remembers the exact date. Piazza had just purchased a controlling interest in A.C. Reggiana 1919, the Italian city’s soccer club. Few locals had heard of him. Even fewer understood his Hall of Fame career catching for the Mets, Dodgers, and three other teams in the American sport of baseball. “When I learned he was the new owner, I went out and bought his autobiography,” says Jacopo Della Porta, a reporter for La Gazzetta di Reggio. “I think I’m the only one here who has read it.” Piazza was obviously rich. His U.S. citizenship gave him a certain baseline allure. Above all, it was his stated plan to return Reggiana to the top flight of Italian soccer that inspired several thousand fans to squeeze into a public square to see him in person.

Reggiana had languished in Serie C, the Italian third division, since the turn of the century. For a club that has known glory—Carlo Ancelotti coached the team into Serie A, in 1996—the long spell of mediocrity has been dispiriting, even embarrassing. Piazza declared, in translated English, that the club was back in solid financial shape. He said he was in Italy for the long haul, invested in the community, and committed to Reggiana’s success. At the rally, smoke from ignited flares swirled around him. Maroon flags waved. Ultras raised their scarves and chanted songs and reached out to shake Piazza’s hand. “Dai c’andom!” Piazza shouted. “Come on!”

Two years later, A.C. Reggiana no longer exists. The club is bankrupt. A court-appointed accountant is distributing its assets.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Ajax fans already celebrating today after PSV dropped points (for only the 2nd time all season), then watching their team throw away a 3-1 lead (could have been 4-1 of Tadic didn't miss that PK) to tie Heerenveen 4-4 at home in a crazy game :laugh:

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Both games were crazy. Ajax was so sloppy today. Were even lucky they didn't get that penalty against them.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I don't think Management is your thing Thierry LOL

L1 is a farmer's league, but you do realize @Evilo starts a new thread every year right?

Anyway, I never liked Henry (even when he was at Barça) and this doesn't seem out of character. Just a certain arrogance about him you could see even when he just looked at someone.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
That’s why he should have started as a youth manager. Part time coach isn’t good enough. Players that good have to start out in the academy or a lower level so they can become humble again and realize players usually won’t be as good as them.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Not much wrong here. He got mad at a player wasting time at the 41st minute. He got mad at a poor ref decision in the few minutes VAR didn't work. He said some words, apologized, case closed.

Now, indeed, not all great players make good coaches from the get go. Blanc used a great assistant coach to help him. Henry steps into a dismal situation.
He'll get Monaco out of it however I think.

@les Habs : I haven't started a L1 thread for ages BTW ;)

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Ajax fans already celebrating today after PSV dropped points (for only the 2nd time all season), then watching their team throw away a 3-1 lead (could have been 4-1 of Tadic didn't miss that PK) to tie Heerenveen 4-4 at home in a crazy game :laugh:

Another crazy game today as Ajax get destroyed by Feyenoord 6-2 :skeptic:

Reactions: John Pedro

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Ya.. that was painful to watch. De Kuip is really one of the toughest places to play at, especially for Ajax with no away crowd and nothing but hostility from 55.000 fans.

Eredivisie might be lacking in quality, but it’s usually good fun and exciting.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
The exciting part might have to do with the horrible defenses around the league. Granted, I usually only watch highlights but damn, it ain't pretty :laugh:

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Ajax has been a defensive force this year. As has PSV. Ajax allowed only six before the break and already 10 since it and we're only teo games in. But you're right, the Eredivisie is mostly about offensive tactics, but that's why it's so exciting. Lots of goals, lots of young talents getting fair oppertunities.

The goalkeepers are the worst, though. You could make a blooper compilation each round.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Big win for Celtic considering their away form and how lacklustre they've been this season. Might be the weekend they pull away for good. From what I saw Burke and Weah looked good coming on.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Ajax took revenge and beat Feyenoord 3-0 in De Kuip yesterday to advance to the Cup finals.

Some notes:
  • Van Persie had some great passes early on, but wasn't involved a whole lot during the later stages of the game. But man, the bloke has so much technique it's ridiculous. Such a unique and entertaining player to watch.
  • De Ligt was outstanding. Saved a few 100% chances and scored again himself with a header from a set piece. Not sure there are many central defenders I take over him right now.
  • Frenkie de Jong has found his rhythm again. He was all over the place. Griezmann recently mentioned how de Jong was the toughest opponent he's ever faced because he couldn't be pressured - this game was a perfect example.
  • Ziyech is producing and involved a lot offensively, but he's been so arrogant on the pitch lately, resulting in easy turnovers and creating a swagger which makes it hard for anyone to cheer for him.
  • Tagliafico will be missed so much when he leaves this summer.
  • Tadic looked off.
  • Donny van de Beek keeps scoring timely goals, but I am never really impressed with him. I still think he and Davy Klaassen are much alike and will walk similar paths.
  • Feyenoord is all grit and perseverance - they need someone creative at midfield. Clasie sucks so much, even though he did alright today.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
The crowd was great as usual in Rotterdam but their team isn't really good.

Why is Ziyech acting like this? He had a very average World Cup and while playing good he isn't dominating either when Ajax faces good teams.

AZ-Willem II easy for AZ?

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
The crowd was great as usual in Rotterdam but their team isn't really good.
There isn't a tougher place to play at for Ajax. De Kuip is downright frightening - especially since there are no Ajax fans allowed. But, even some Feyenoord players have what's called "Kuipfrees" (fear for De Kuip - the pressure that comes with it) and leave the team quickly.

They have an outstanding attack and a quality, but no creative midfield. Their defense is meh and their goalkeepers are inconsistent.

Why is Ziyech acting like this? He had a very average World Cup and while playing good he isn't dominating either when Ajax faces good teams.
Marocco as a whole sucked monkey balls, but they were in a tough group with Portugal and Spain, so I can't fault Ziyech much for that one. I think Ziyech is fine in bigger games, but he wants to do too much. He wants to proof all his doubters wrong.

AZ-Willem II easy for AZ?
Willem II is a cup fighting squad. Lots of spirit. The loss of Sol hasn't affected them all that much so far, it seems, but AZ is too balanced for them to not win here.

Reactions: Pouchkine

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Good analysis. The KNVB Cup is always lots of fun, and with the final in Rotterdam it's even better! I can't stand domestic cups that are home-away like in Spain-Italy.

Reactions: Ajacied

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
So there you go Willem II with the upset and Ajax will be huge favorites in the final. Maybe a double for Ajax?

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Willem II fought hard. Their goalkeeper saved three straight penalty kicks to win it for them.

It's one game and neither plays on home turf. Ajax are the favorites, but these cup games are rarely walkovers, especially the finals. I still see PSV winning the domestic title as Ajax is still active on three fronts, PSV only one. The head to head matchup on the 31st of March might be the one which decides who'll be crowned champions.

Reactions: Pouchkine

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
First time I saw Alexander Isak with Willem, not bad all. Not anything all-counquering but a good finish for the goal and didn't look out of place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad