Other Domestic Leagues 18/19

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
First time I saw Alexander Isak with Willem, not bad all. Not anything all-counquering but a good finish for the goal and didn't look out of place.

He looked all right. Looking forward what else he can do.

Speaking of loanies; Martin Odegaard is starting to impress big time this season. He showed some flashes with Heerenveen last season but he's become the catalyst of Vitesse this season. He has such a beautiful touch; scoring timely goals and throwing sweet passes (5G+6A so far). He won't be sniffing Real Madrid's starting 11 anytime soon, and I honestly don't see him reaching that level, ever, but I would love for Ajax to inform Real about his price tag. Especially with de Jong and Ziyech leaving.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Liverpool to support Karius' Besiktas dispute after harsh criticism
Liverpool are in dialogue with Loris Karius' representatives as he seeks to resolve his ongoing dispute with Besiktas.

The German keeper, who is on loan in Turkey, has asked FIFA to take action after it emerged that he's owed four months wages.
Karius has started 21 out of 22 Turkish Super League games this season and played five out of six in the Europa League group stage.

Third placed Besiktas have gone eight games unbeaten and are currently 16 points clear of rivals Fenerbahce.
Besiktas are obligated to buy him for a further £7.25million in the summer of 2020 if certain performance criteria are met. These are related to appearances and Besiktas qualifying for Europe.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Ajax narrowly beat Zwolle this evening (2-1). Not their best game, though they were missing their most creative players. Tadic: "finally we win an ugly game. Ajax always tries to play beautiful football, but these games build character."
  • De Jong and Ziyech are injured and didn't play.
  • Veltman is making more minutes and looking comfortable. Looks more and more like the reliable captain before his injury.
  • Mazraoui was mostly to blame for the goal against. He's still very vulnerable defensively at times. With Veltman returning, Mazraoui might no longer be a lock at RB.
  • De Ligt cleared absolutely everything. Continuously cleaned up after his teammates. His leadership is already so important as well. He and Blind have formed one of the better CB pairs in Europe this year, me feels.
  • Blind was named MOTM and rightfully so: a rock defensively, showboating even at times and scored the winner.
  • Tadic scored again and was a threat for most of the game, even though not everything went his way. He now has 19 goals and 8 assists in 25 domestic games (and 9 goals and 5 assists in 11 CL games). Nothing short of stellar.
  • Noa Lang made his debut. Had an assist on the game winning goal. He's been knocking on the door these past few weeks. Missed he UEFA youth league because of it, like a few others. He has upside, but I just doubt his football IQ.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands

Now 5 goals in 9 games. Scored a nice solo vs Feyenoord just a moment ago, could stand as the game winner (in de Kuip, so quite impressive) - Feyenoord's defense is laughable, though.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
The Ajax v PSV game right after the international break would have been a big chance for Ajax to take over the Eredivisie lead, instead they just lost to AZ while PSV won their game with another late goal (read somewhere it was their 17th goal this season in the 85th minute or later) and now take a 5 point lead to Amsterdam.

PSV still have a tricky schedule with away games not only at Ajax, but also at Vitesse, at cup finalists Willem II, and on the final day of the season they go to AZ.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
In Belgium, Genk take the lead into the top-6 championship group. They probably have to lose 4-5 of the remaining games for not to win the title.

Anderlecht were in danger of missing out, but picked up their results in 2019, with the arrival of Bolasie on loan and the emergence of a 17-year Verschaeren, who is a great crosser.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Galatasaray cut Istanbul Basaksehir lead at the top of the table to 6 points after coming from two goals down to beat Bursaspor. Basaksehir still have to play Bestikas and Gala away this season

Meanwhile Fener have righted the ship a bit and are four points above the drop zone

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Galatasaray cut Istanbul Basaksehir lead at the top of the table to 6 points after coming from two goals down to beat Bursaspor. Basaksehir still have to play Bestikas and Gala away this season

Meanwhile Fener have righted the ship a bit and are four points above the drop zone
Robinho, Arda, Adebayor, great group of guys Basaksenhir have.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
In Belgium, Genk take the lead into the top-6 championship group. They probably have to lose 4-5 of the remaining games for not to win the title.

Anderlecht were in danger of missing out, but picked up their results in 2019, with the arrival of Bolasie on loan and the emergence of a 17-year Verschaeren, who is a great crosser.

Once again this proves how little the regular season actually means anymore. With point totals cut in half, I think all teams will now feel they have a chance.

1. RC Genk (32 pts) - they were the best and most consistent team in the regular season, but these finals weeks of the regular season they slumped a bit; how will they handle being favourites in the grueling playoffs? Their best player and captain has today left the team for Toronto FC so it remains to be seen how much of an impact that will have.

2. Club Brugge (28) - I think they still have the best top-to-bottom roster in Belgium, but they were wildly inconsistent this year. Lost games to teams they should never lose to. Have to say there were a lot of injuries and a physically demanding CL campaign which took its toll. Remains to be seen how much they got left in the tank. They do have a great record against other top teams. I mean, as bad as they were against the smaller teams, they destroyed Genk (3-1), Standard (3-0), Antwerp (5-1), Gent (4-0) and beat Anderlecht as well. On a good day they're unstoppable.

3. Standard (27) - The most unpredictable team in Belgium, which they're pretty much every year. Went on a HUGE run during last year's playoffs, which they started 12 pts behind leaders Brugge and they almost won the league. The talent is there, but mentally they're pretty unstable. Their coach, Preudhomme, is a winner though. Very strong home team, but they tend to be bad on the road which could be their downfall.

4. Anderlecht (26) - Had a terrible season, yet here they are, just 6 pts out of first place. This might be their worst roster in ages, but they're still Anderlecht and they manage to win games they have no business winning. Started the season with a new owner, he came from a midtable team and for the first few months ran Anderlecht like they were a midtable team as well. Fired their coach and have improved since then, as gary69 said, with the addition of Bolasie who's sparked their offense, and the emergence of young Yari Verschaeren who looks like the new Tielemans. I literally have no idea what they're going to do in these playoffs.

5. Gent (25) - Like Anderlecht, they were horrible during the first half of the season, but have been climbing their way back up after hiring a new coach (Jess Thorup, who won the Danish league last year with Midtjylland) and getting an on loan striker from the Premier League (Alexander Sorloth frm Crystal Palace). This team could easily make a run. Their recent form has been excellent, they also reached the Cup Final, and they're probably a bit underrated by the teams above them.

6. Antwerp (25) - The wildcard team. The "new rich" from Antwerp have only been back at the top level for 2 years and they're already going to the championship playoffs. They've actually been in 2nd or 3rd place for most of the season, but the final month of the regular season has been tough for them. In my opinion, they're not going to challenge for a Top 2 spot, but this is a team everybody hates to play against. They're a hard nosed, defensive bunch, the most physical club in the league with a hostile home crowd. Out of all playoff teams, they do have the worst head to head record against the others, and that's their main problem. They mostly grind out wins against midtable and bottom teams, which they can't do against top teams. And if they fall behind, they have an extremely hard time coming back because their lack of creativity.

Reactions: czechcanadian

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
Has Basaksehir’s owner paid off enough people to win the title?

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Ajax narrowly beat Zwolle this evening (2-1). Not their best game, though they were missing their most creative players. Tadic: "finally we win an ugly game. Ajax always tries to play beautiful football, but these games build character."
  • De Jong and Ziyech are injured and didn't play.
  • Veltman is making more minutes and looking comfortable. Looks more and more like the reliable captain before his injury.
  • Mazraoui was mostly to blame for the goal against. He's still very vulnerable defensively at times. With Veltman returning, Mazraoui might no longer be a lock at RB.
  • De Ligt cleared absolutely everything. Continuously cleaned up after his teammates. His leadership is already so important as well. He and Blind have formed one of the better CB pairs in Europe this year, me feels.
  • Blind was named MOTM and rightfully so: a rock defensively, showboating even at times and scored the winner.
  • Tadic scored again and was a threat for most of the game, even though not everything went his way. He now has 19 goals and 8 assists in 25 domestic games (and 9 goals and 5 assists in 11 CL games). Nothing short of stellar.
  • Noa Lang made his debut. Had an assist on the game winning goal. He's been knocking on the door these past few weeks. Missed he UEFA youth league because of it, like a few others. He has upside, but I just doubt his football IQ.
What’s up with Vaclav Cerny? I know he had a bad knee injury last year. Do you know if he’s been impressive at all this year?

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
This format in Belgium is a complete joke, absolutely terrible.

Ugh, don't like hearing this. Inexplicably the Czech Republic has moved to a three-tier play-off format this year and I still don't know how to feel about it.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
It's terrible and the worst in Belgium is that they cut the pts in half so Genk instead of having an 8pts lead only have a 4pts lead. Complete joke.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
As far as I understand the Czech teams will keep their full points and then play one game with each of the other teams in their group (with the higher teams getting home advantage). I want to reserve judgment until I actually see it in practice, in part because the system is actually so complicated to explain that one can't really imagine what the reality will look like.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Huge win for Ajax at home v PSV, also a huge missed opportunity for PSV as they were a man up with the game tied and still gave it away

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Ajax reminds me a bit of previous Liverpool campaigns. They show up against the best teams but often look pedestrian or out of ideas against mediocre teams.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Ajax didn't exactly show up, though. If their match in Madrid was a 10/10, this was a 6/10. Neres and de Jong were the best ones on Ajax' side. Mazraoui (wtf - dumb ass red card. He's suspended for two games now and I'm not sure he'll get his place back from Veltman) and Onana were quite bad.

This game also proved PSV needs to upgrade its CB and MF. It's absolutely comical. Schwaab, Viergever, Rosario and Hendrix is barely Eredivisie caliber. If they replace those with quality pieces next season (or from within, they have a great generation coming up), they should be the frontrunner for the title.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I wonder when Rigo is going to get a real shot. I know Ihattaren plays in multiple positions but having those two coming up will be pretty big for them.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
I wonder when Rigo is going to get a real shot. I know Ihattaren plays in multiple positions but having those two coming up will be pretty big for them.

That's van Bommel's main fault as a coach; trying to play it safe. It probably wins him the Eredivisie, but it comes up short in Europe and in bigger games such as this one. He plays with two stay at home defensemen, to speak in hockey terms and two DM's whereas PSV has the ball in 60% of play.

That while he has Gutierez and Pereiro on hand. Both are creative and can singlehandedly win games by individual effort. Pereiro especially has been a notorious big game player and media was shocked to not see him starting. Van Bommel opted for Sadilek, who is, you guessed it, a pure DM (and also just 1.60m). He does give youth a fair shot, which he does much better than his predecessors.

But their generation coming up is legit:
Ihatarran, Pieroe, Gakpo, Teze, Aboukhlal, Obispo, Rigo, Vertessen, Medonca, Ledezma and also Sadilek. Not to mention Sam Lammers who's been making a lot of noise for Heerenveen.

PSV should've gone after Kik Pierie, but it seems Ajax is nearing to haul him in. He would've been a perfect fit. [EDIT: Ajax are also competing with PSV for Edison Alvarez, a talented Mexican CB. Ajax are reported to be the favorites in most papers so far]. Also not a fan of Luuk de Jong, but he's fine for Eredivisie purposes. But the sooner Rosario, Hendrix, Schwaab and Viergever (Viergever was Ajax' 4th CB option for crying out loud) are let go, the sooner PSV will make even bigger steps ahead.

Last edited:

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
What is going on with Feyenoord? AZ could finish 3rd and avoid the playoffs.

Feyenoord just lacks quality. They hauled in a lot of players over the years, some good ones even, but most haven't been able to improve themselves playing in Rotterdam. Most stalled/regressed (Ayoub, Sam Larsson, St.Juste) or have had injury problems (Haps). Some supposed leaders are very limited players, such as Clasie, van der Heijden, Botteghin and the team as a whole lacks creativity and offensive power. Berghuis has been very inconsistent and a locker room cancer. He was benched this sunday because he went all out van Bronckhorst during practice. The only player showing up is van Persie and also Vilhena; he's been a very quiet and consistent force at midfield. They win games because of some individual effort and because de Kuip is terrifying place to play at. I think Gio is a fine coach, but he's worn out his stay. It's a good thing he leaves this summer.

AZ's youth program has been excellent. It rivals Ajax' these past few years and it's showing now. Calvin Stengs, Teun Koopmeiners, Myron Boadu, Guus Til, Owen Wijndal and even more impressive ones coming up through the ranks. They might have a slightly smaller budget than Feyenoord, but I figure they will overtake Feyenoord for #3 at the end of the season and for the coming years.

Reactions: Pouchkine

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Does Feyenoord have any decent youth coming up?

Their academy is usually loaded, but the best academy award went to Ajax and AZ these past four years. They also lost their absolute two biggest talents during this window (Zirkzee - Bayern Munchen, Tahith Chong - Manchester United) and some lesser ones in Rodney Kongolo (manchester City, now Heerenveen) which explains the drop a bit. The talent breaking through right now is hard to judge as they are breaking through in a very limited and dysfunctional side. But they do have some interesting ones coming through, as always:

Orkun Kokcu, Geertruida, Wouter Burger, El Bouchataoui, Koorevaar (GK), de Mooij, Cheick Toure, Summerville, Bannis, Azarkan and Noah Lewis.

The current squad also has a few who've already broken through in Bijlow, El Hankouri, Vente and Malacia, but not sure about any of those being long term regulars so far. Bijlow was a big goalkeeping talent, but he's been very inconsistent. Vente was very hyped as well, but the jury is still out on that one. He could break through next year when van Persie retires.

Some of these were mentioned in my annual summer prospect list:
Soccer Prospect Discussion Thread IV

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands

Speaking of loanies; Martin Odegaard is starting to impress big time this season. He showed some flashes with Heerenveen last season but he's become the catalyst of Vitesse this season. He has such a beautiful touch; scoring timely goals and throwing sweet passes (5G+6A so far). He won't be sniffing Real Madrid's starting 11 anytime soon, and I honestly don't see him reaching that level, ever, but I would love for Ajax to inform Real about his price tag. Especially with de Jong and Ziyech leaving.

Isak continues to score easily; now with 10 goals (3 pk's) and 3 assists in 10 games. I like his nose for the goal. He finds the net effortlessly. Smart runs, accurate shot, decent pace. He'll come down to earth soon, but I'd like him to develop into a quality striker in the Eredivisie for next season as well. It would be the smartest thing for his development.

Odegaard was again very impressive. He would be the perfect Ziyech replacement next year but I am afraid he costs a bit too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad