Other Domestic Leagues 17/18

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Skenderbeu received the harshest penalty in UEFA history for a club as they are banned 10 years from competing in European competition (they are to this day the only Albanian side to qualify for a group stage of UEFA competition).

Their club president was running a match fixing scheme and it was revealed that up to 50 matches, both domestic and European, were flagged for match fixing, including a match in the Champions League playoff round and in the Europa League group stage. Looking at some of the happenings in their Euro games it seems so obvious now. There was a game they played against Crusaders where Skenderbeu easily won the first leg 4:1 and were winning 2:1 in the 2nd leg but they conceded twice in injury time to purposely lose the 2nd leg and there was evidence of suspicious betting late in that match to the tune of 6 figures (for a largely meaningless CL qualifier with 10 minutes to play)

Skenderbeu have the right to appeal of course

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
This needs to be taken with a grain of salt since it's only State league, but Arthur has been great since returning from injury (3 goals in 4 games). Seems like a perfect Barça player.

vs Avenida: 101 passes, 97% pass accuracy
vs Avenida: 91 passes, 98% pass accuracy
vs Brasil de Pelotas: 112 passes, 93% pass accuracy

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Interesting three way title race going on in Poland

1. Jagiellonia 54
2. Lech Poznan 52
3. Legia Warsaw 51

Legia fall to 3rd after back to back losses while Lech Poznan are the inform team. There is one more round to play until the league splits up to the championship/relegation league so these point totals will change

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Three titles in four seasons for PSV and Cocu. Wonder if he'll get recruited to a bigger club in a bigger league.

Alternatively Ajax haven't won in four years. I don't watch closely enough, but they seem mismanaged.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
Spartak with a loss at Ural. Extends Lokomotiv's lead to 5 points with a match in hand.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
PSV kicked Ajax's ass yesterday. Ajax needs to replace Schone, Huntelaar and Veltman to be competitive. Will be tough if they end up selling de Ligt, Frenkie, Onana, Kluivert and Ziyech.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
PSV kicked Ajax's ass yesterday. Ajax needs to replace Schone, Huntelaar and Veltman to be competitive. Will be tough if they end up selling de Ligt, Frenkie, Onana, Kluivert and Ziyech.
They've needed to replace Schone for a while. Luckily they have built in replacements but de Boer put that team in a hole they're still working to get out of. Hiring ten Hag mid season was a head scratcher to say the least. They can afford to lose Ziyech too (he can go play in Turkey or something).

I'm optimistic they can hold on to Onana, de Ligt (most likely to leave), de Jong, Kluivert and Neres for one more season so they should have a good shot next season if they can sort out their managerial issues but I wouldn't hold my breath. Huntelaar and Veltman are unlikely to go anywhere. Ideally with Tagliafico at LB the midfield should have de Jong behind van de Beek and Sinkgraven next season with Eiting getting some big minutes.

That said even though PSV have pissed me off quite a bit with how they handle their youth they're a much better managed and well run club ATM and should be the favourites for the title again next season. Feyenoord's resurgence was pretty shortlived.

Reactions: John Pedro

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
They've needed to replace Schone for a while. Luckily they have built in replacements but de Boer put that team in a hole they're still working to get out of. Hiring ten Hag mid season was a head scratcher to say the least. They can afford to lose Ziyech too (he can go play in Turkey or something).

I'm optimistic they can hold on to Onana, de Ligt (most likely to leave), de Jong, Kluivert and Neres for one more season so they should have a good shot next season if they can sort out their managerial issues but I wouldn't hold my breath. Huntelaar and Veltman are unlikely to go anywhere. Ideally with Tagliafico at LB the midfield should have de Jong behind van de Beek and Sinkgraven next season with Eiting getting some big minutes.

That said even though PSV have pissed me off quite a bit with how they handle their youth they're a much better managed and well run club ATM and should be the favourites for the title again next season. Feyenoord's resurgence was pretty shortlived.

Huntelaar as a sub is fine but as the undisputed starter, he is a liability... Cassierra should've been given more minutes with Dolberg's fall and injury-plagued season. Veltman is fine as he's good defensively, though I find it a waste to have full-backs that inept offensively. Not sure if they can keep de Ligt and Frenkie as Barcelona want them and de Ligt seems to be the best CB in the market. Plus, as a Raiola's client, we shouldn't expect Kluivert to stay put... has he re-signed his contract yet? although, I could see him having a massive breakout season if he stays.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Big win for Hoops over the weekend (or was it?) against Rangers. Rangers just seem to be so poorly managed from the top. Murty's deal only runs until the end of the season sure, but the Chairman's comments were ill-timed to say the least. Really would make me wonder were I a supporter if he's actually capable of delivering what he's selling.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Big win for Hoops over the weekend (or was it?) against Rangers. Rangers just seem to be so poorly managed from the top. Murty's deal only runs until the end of the season sure, but the Chairman's comments were ill-timed to say the least. Really would make me wonder were I a supporter if he's actually capable of delivering what he's selling.
their board is a bunch of lying, thieves, but rangers supporters in general are too thick to see through it. sunday was a demolition lol.

Reactions: sabremike

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Holy crap, second leg of Turkish Cup semifinal between Besiktas and Fenerbahce wasn't finished because a thrown seat landed on Besiktas's coach's head and he had to get five stitches...

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Turks are known as very passionate fans.

Russian Cup is played in front of friendlier audiences. Spartak was the only remaining top team, and they lost their semifinals to Tosno (who are fighting at least not to get straightly demoted) in a shootout. Other semifinal was won by Avangard Kursk, who just got promoted to perdiv (Russian 2nd league) this season. Obviously, whatever team wins will get its 1st ever major trophy (and very likely the only one in the forseeable future). I'll cheer for Avangard, as Tosno is a completely artificial club with zero history and few fans, while Kursk is definitely a city that deserves a team that will play in Europa league.

In championship, Lokomotiv increased the lead against Spartak to 6 points with 4 games remaining. Basically, the participants of the next season's CL will be decided over that span, as the 5th place Krasnodar is just 3 points behind Spartak. On the other hand, all RFPL teams being eliminated from the Cup means that a great race for the 6th place in championship will eventually be fruitless, as the 3rd team to go to the Europa league won't be whoever wins the 6th place. With only one team clearly being demoted so far (SKA Khabarovsk) and loads of new stadiums being opened, overall it's easily been the most interesting and unpredictable season for Russian football in many years.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Avangard Kursk would be guaranteed 6 games in the Europa League groupstage think about this!

I agree with you it's been a fantastic season, there's interest everywhere in the league and the cup, something that is lacking mostly everywhere now in Europe.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Young Boys have just won the Swiss title for the first time since 1986 and they also end Basel's dominance of 8 consecutive titles. Unfortunately for them the change in the Champions League format starting next season means Switzerland no longer have an automatic CL spot so they will still need to go through qualifying

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Young Boys have just won the Swiss title for the first time since 1986 and they also end Basel's dominance of 8 consecutive titles. Unfortunately for them the change in the Champions League format starting next season means Switzerland no longer have an automatic CL spot so they will still need to go through qualifying
Still has to be good for their bottom line and fighting off Basel in the long tun.

Also Brechin City in Scottish Championship went without ANY wins and only 4 draws, for measly 4 points the entire season.
It does not matter what league it is. That is INSANE!

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
But they have to, because it makes perfect sense that the 4th best team in England or Spain qualifies for a CHAMPIONS league while an actual champion has to fight through qualifiers.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Rangers fans are idiots. :teach:

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
6R44nn.gif

lustig wearing the cops hat in the celebrations lol

Reactions: sabremike

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad