Other coach options?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Like most I think time has come for a change--TMAC just aint working and the question then becomes

Who are the viable coaches out there?

Some speculation is that Patrick Roy wants another pro-job
The former LAK coach is employed by the Oilers--gretzky of course
Messier?
Brent Sutter?
Coach Q is getting 6 mill for this season and next and seems to be enjoying his freedom
Mike Keenen? He was sacked in the KHL awhile ago

who are the available coaches

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Woodcroft? He's getting good production from young guys down in the AHL.
Not saying I'd hire him at this point, but just putting his name out.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I'd like to point out that last year most of this board was calling for his head

For sure, and I was one of them. He wasn't good as the PP coach, but seems to be doing better as the head coach. The best organisations find the best fit for the talent they have. I'd prefer to wait and see on Woodcroft, but so far so good for him as head coach, albeit in the AHL. As I said, just putting his name out there.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Roy - Too much of a headcase. We can take zero risks of pissing off McDavid.
Woodcroft - No. Don't care that his AHL team filled with decent talent for the AHL is doing well. Don't like how he communicates (I listen to him on Stauffer) and he's already been up with this club and has shown that his messaging wasn't getting through (PowerPlay)
Messier - He's a leader, but nothing has shown he can be a coach.
D. Sutter - He'd up our defensive responsibility, but then we'd have to worry about goals and we'd have to worry if McDavid's scoring potential is being squandered.
Keenan - No. Guy has had way too many chances and way too many failures.
Quennville - He's our best bet. His teams are fast and pass well. His stars flourish under him. McDavid, Draisaitl, and Nuge would benefit from someone who has an acual plan in the O-zone. And he's a proven 3 time Cup Winner, which means in game adjustments and coaching under the highest pressured situations he's got down. Queenville is by far the best choice.

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
What about some young/new options ? Who are some assistant/other league options with a lot of hype around them ?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Oh we forgot about Alain Vigneault. We all saw what he did with that Vancouver team. My one knock against him was team toughness in the Playoffs which is ultimately where the Canucks failed. But with the Oilers built to be tough just through personnel we might be able to overcome that. Our roster with his coaching might be a good mix.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Oh we forgot about Alain Vigneault. We all saw what he did with that Vancouver team. My one knock against him was team toughness in the Playoffs which is ultimately where the Canucks failed. But with the Oilers built to be tough just through personnel we might be able to overcome that. Our roster with his coaching might be a good mix.

Might not be a bad option. He would probably at least squeeze more offense out of this lineup than most coaches would. Toughness and some team defense may be an issue in the playoffs, but maybe worry about that when/if we get there.

Reactions: TheNumber4

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Rangers fans seemed to have had a big issue with him, I forgot why though.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Todd Nelson. I wouldn't mind Woodcroft but let him get our farm team in order in case the season with the big club continues to be ****. Mar Crawford is a guy that I'd consider as well although his voice is annoying.

I like Todd Nelson. I just wonder if that bridge has been burned, courtesy of guys still employed by the org (MacT, Lowe, etc.).

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
If we go the fresh face young guy route Todd Nelson and Sheldon Keefe are the best choices. Vet route is AV or coach Q.

Personally I’d go hard after coach Q. He might be the best in the game. Those guys are rarely up for grabs and IMO we made a mistake not going hard after Babcock.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Todd Nelson. I wouldn't mind Woodcroft but let him get our farm team in order in case the season with the big club continues to be ****. Marc Crawford is a guy that I'd consider as well although his voice is annoying.

Unfortunately will never happen. OBC will not admit to making a mistake letting him go and Todd would lose face coming back here after how he was treated. Pity actually.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Here's a dated article I was able to find on some potential coaching candidates. Couple of the options are already off the board but there's some under the radar choices in here: https://www.tsn.ca/13-potential-nhl-head-coaching-candidates-1.901777

BOB HARTLEY
Current role: Free agent
NHL record: 463-361-110 (.554)
Scoop: Hartley’s credentials can’t be questioned. He’s won at almost every level – Stanley Cup, Calder Cup, QMJHL, even the Swiss National A championship in 2012. But he was just a year removed from the 2015 Jack Adams Award as the NHL’s coach of the year when he was fired in Calgary. At the time, GM Brad Treliving said Hartley took the Flames “as far as I feel he can take it.”

SHELDON KEEFE
Current role: Toronto Marlies (AHL) head coach
NHL record: 0-0-0
Scoop: Keefe is widely regarded as the next “up-and-comer” coach from the AHL. He has racked up a 96-45-11 record, winning three playoff rounds in two seasons, after cutting his teeth with the OHL’s Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds. The one problem for Toronto is that Keefe will likely make an NHL impact elsewhere, with Mike Babcock not going anywhere anytime soon. Other flourishing AHL coaches without NHL experience include Rocky Thompson, Benoit Groulx and Mike Van Ryn.

JIM MONTGOMERY
Current role: Denver University (NCAA) head coach
Scoop: Montgomery was a finalist for the Panthers’ opening last summer that went to Bob Boughner. He withdrew his name from consideration after also speaking to the Kings, earning a sweetened contract at Denver, where his team remains ranked No. 1 after capturing the NCAA title last April. It won’t be long before Montgomery’s flirtation with the NHL heats up again.

TODD NELSON
Current role: Grand Rapids Griffins (AHL) head coach
NHL record: 17-25-9 (.422)
Scoop: Nelson guided the Griffins to their second Calder Cup title in franchise history last spring, becoming the third person to win it as a player, assistant and head coach. He was then granted permission to interview with the Coyotes, but with Red Wings coach Jeff Blashill reportedly on the hot seat this season, a promotion from AHL to NHL could potentially be in order. Nelson coached the Oilers under an interim tag in 2014-15, replacing Dallas Eakins, but he was discarded in favour of Todd McLellan when GM Peter Chiarelli arrived after that season.

DAVID QUINN
Current role: Boston University (NCAA) head coach
Scoop: As one of only two men to lead BU since 1973, Quinn has as comfortable and prominent a role as any coach not in the NHL. He also remains an intriguing NHL candidate, with three seasons of AHL experience and one year on the Colorado Avalanche bench as an assistant under Joe Sacco, checking all of the necessary boxes.

DAVE TIPPETT
Current role: Free agent
NHL record: 553-413-148 (.563)
Scoop: For the first time in 16 years, Tippett isn’t behind an NHL bench. He “mutually” parted ways with the Coyotes in June after an eight-year run in the desert, which included a lump-sum buyout of his contract. Tippett is reportedly eager to get back in the game, but he’s never been a midseason replacement in the NHL.

I've left out coaches that are still with their teams in Assistant roles. They don't move during the season do they?

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Alain Vigneault. I've been lobbying for him on social media for a few weeks now.

His Resume:
-Went to the Stanley Cup Final twice, each with Vancouver and New York
-Won the President's trophy twice with both Vancouver and New York
-Won the division 5 years straight with Vancouver and with New York in 2015
-Missed the playoffs once (last year) in the last 10 years
-Jack Adams winner in '07
-Of the 11 times he made the playoffs, he's made it past the 1st round 8 times
-His 1st year in Vancouver, they won the division and went 7 games in the 2nd round. His 1st year in New York, they went to the cup final

The key with him, is that he accomplished all those feats with two very different teams, in different conferences. Sometimes there are coaches, stanley cup winning coaches, that are outstanding with their respective team, but more often than not, are unable to replicate that success with a different team. Vigneault has proven he can carry that success from one team to the next.

I honestly want him to take the job more than Legendary Q. Joel has already stated that he doesn't want to go to a rebuilding team (as per Friedman), he wants to join an experienced and mature group, that has a history of success. I think he's referring to St.Louis, Pitts, Anaheim. Maybe even L.A.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I like Todd Nelson. I just wonder if that bridge has been burned, courtesy of guys still employed by the org (MacT, Lowe, etc.).

Agreed, MacT didn't want him so that is that!

If we go the fresh face young guy route Todd Nelson and Sheldon Keefe are the best choices. Vet route is AV or coach Q.

Personally I’d go hard after coach Q. He might be the best in the game. Those guys are rarely up for grabs and IMO we made a mistake not going hard after Babcock.

Older coaches that are still doing well include guys like Babcock, Trotz, Galant, etc. Being older doesn't mean that you can't coach as long as you can adapt and play to your teams strengths.

Unfortunately will never happen. OBC will not admit to making a mistake letting him go and Todd would lose face coming back here after how he was treated. Pity actually.

Agreed.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Alain Vigneault. I've been lobbying for him on social media for a few weeks now.

His Resume:
-His 1st year in Vancouver, they won the division and went 7 games in the 2nd round. His 1st year in New York, they went to the cup final

The key with him, is that he accomplished all those feats with two very different teams, in different conferences. Sometimes there are coaches, stanley cup winning coaches, that are outstanding with their respective team, but more often than not, are unable to replicate that success with a different team. Vigneault has proven he can carry that success from one team to the next.

I honestly want him to take the job more than Legendary Q. Joel has already stated that he doesn't want to go to a rebuilding team (as per Friedman), he wants to join an experienced and mature group, that has a history of success. I think he's referring to St.Louis, Pitts, Anaheim. Maybe even L.A.

That's a really good argument for coach V. He may just have my vote.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

His Resume:

The best reason to hire Vigneault

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Rangers fans seemed to have had a big issue with him, I forgot why though.

Right.... but look at where that Rangers Roster was headed... straight for a needed retool/rebuild. Don't know if I'd pin the Rangers' failures on him and besides AV did have some successful seasons there. Fans, including us are always trying to figure out whether its coach or talent (atleast I am) so I wouldn't put too much faith in their interpretations. Hindsight shows that Roster didn't have enough to win which is why they are looking at rebuild now.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

His Resume:

Informative post. Good stuff. Can't argue with AV being a real option here.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I'd like to point out that last year most of this board was calling for his head

Because we thought it was him who designed the dumb 5 lefties pp, but it turned out that it stayed even after he left. It was Mclellan's idea.

And I bet players like Pulju would thrive under him.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Even if there is a new coach, you guys better not be expecting overnight results. That's incredibly unfair to a coach with a roster this crap.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Can we beg Krueger to come back? Even let him fire mact over Skype. And Lowe while he’s at it. Throw chia in there too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad