OT: Other Chicago & General Sports Thread XLVI: World Series-bound!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Cubs have incredible depth with Schwarber out for the season and Heyward posting career low offensive numbers. Unbelievable actually.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
If they lose in WS ,, Yes

I believe they can get similar power production and would benefit longterm moving Kyle Schwarber to 1B

It will have some growing pains but Schwarber doesn't have longterm future as a C and I don't see him as an ideal LF option. 1B would be good spot for him to have a long successful career in NL

Trade Rizzo to a team like Mariners looking to get final piece to return to playoffs. Rizzo is major upgrade over Adam Lind at 1B

Cubs can get a Kings ransom for a guy who for most of his postseason career has struggled. If he struggles in WS and Cubs falter trading him should be consideration

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
If they lose in WS ,, Yes

I believe they can get similar power production and would benefit longterm moving Kyle Schwarber to 1B

It will have some growing pains but Schwarber doesn't have longterm future as a C and I don't see him as an ideal LF option. 1B would be good spot for him to have a long successful career in NL

Trade Rizzo to a team like Mariners looking to get final piece to return to playoffs. Rizzo is major upgrade over Adam Lind at 1B

Good thing Theo is running the team and you aren't.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
To be fair the suggestion was made before his 2 good games and he was one of the guys killing Cubs

If he has good WS then keeping him is smart. If he struggles and Cubs falter they should look to move on from him as the sample size of playoff struggles would be long enough to judge him and like I said they can move Kyle Schwarber to 1B and shore up other spots on club longterm

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
To be fair the suggestion was made before his 2 good games and he was one of the guys killing Cubs

It was just as foolish then as it was now.

You don't trade your all-star 1st basemen, who is a team leader, when your team has been to two straight NLCS, even if he was struggling in a few post-season games.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
What other spots do they need? You don't trade a cost-controlled AS 1B to plug (non-existent) holes in a roster.

Trading him for another ace for instance wouldn't be bad move

Lester is soon to be 33
Arieta is a soon to be 31 yr old who last I heard wanted far more $$$ then Cubs were desiring to commit
Lackey just turned 38
Hammels is a 34 yr old #4/5

hendricks is good and entering prime

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
It was just as foolish then as it was now.

You don't trade your all-star 1st basemen, who is a team leader, when your team has been to two straight NLCS, even if he was struggling in a few post-season games.

They didn't go to back to back ALCS at time but Blue Jays did just what I am advocating with Fred McGriff

Young McGriff who struggled in ALCS was deemed expendable as they traded him and Tony Fernandez for Roberto Alomar and Joe Carter to land what they viewed as final pieces to put them over hump

It worked out very well for them

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Theoretically if a 3rd party could be involved Chris Sale could very well be available for Cubs (Young ace , cost controlled)

Sox naturally don't need Rizzo at 1B with Abreu so a 3rd party would be needed who need 1B upgrade

Unless Sox decided to flip Abreu for younger asset and keep Rizzo which would be insane because well Chicago trades are rare

Honestly as a Sox fan I would want to see Sale traded to Cubs for a guy like Kyle Schwarber who's upside is big and who would be ideal fit in AL longterm

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
What ace are they going to trade Rizzo for?

Are people serious about this? The "trade Rizzo" conversation is just plain stupid. You don't trade cost controlled all-star 1B. Rizzo is making $5.8 AAV on this deal and is controlled till the 2020 season. That is literally 1/4 of what he gets paid on the open market (assuming he is worth $20 million AAV).

Like I said before he is prone to cold streaks where he goes 1-20 or 3-25 but he always comes out hot. Well now he is hot going into the World Series.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
They're not trading Rizzo. I don't need to ask anyone in the know about that because it's literally a 0 chance of happening.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Blues fan coming in peace. Grew up in Peoria and am a giant Cubs fan. Last night was unbelievable and I woke up still in shock that we're finally seeing the Cubbies in the World Series. Now let's go whoop Cleveland.

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
Trading him for another ace for instance wouldn't be bad move

Lester is soon to be 33
Arieta is a soon to be 31 yr old who last I heard wanted far more $$$ then Cubs were desiring to commit
Lackey just turned 38
Hammels is a 34 yr old #4/5

hendricks is good and entering prime

Just for the sake of discussion, this is why you would even consider it. Because getting an ace in return wouldn't happen for bench scraps or dead end minor leaguers that you would hope to pawn off on another team. None of it is gonna happen, but this is what happens on off days.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
It's not a discussion. Even giving it that credence is laughable.

The Cubs have tons of other good assets to move.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Well moving on from my dislike of a 2-3-2 format...

Can we all agree it's ridiculously stupid that the Indians have home field advantage because of an exhibition game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad