Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LXIV: Cactus League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Yeah I'm with @KanersBaldSpot on this as well.

Forget that the Sox lied to their fanbase when they promised the money would be there when the time came. Forget that KW and Hahn are contradicting each other today, which means they're still lying even today.

With the low payroll the last few years and the low commitment in payroll going forward. If one player for 30 mil per over 10 years is too much. Then they simply aren't interested in competing at a high level. In all my years as a Chicago sports fan (and I'm older than most of you), I've never been this disgusted with one of 'my teams' as I am today.

I feel stupid for believing that they were serious about signing a big free agent.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Who cares. Baseball sucks. It is more unbearable to watch than the NBA now.

Stop giving them money.

Last edited:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
They offered 8/250 supposedly yeah. You can debate weather they should have gone to 10/300. I personally understand why they wouldn't, but I understand the other side. My issue is with referring to their interest as "not serious".

Ahh, I wasn’t factoring the extra 2 contract years.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

Forget that the Sox lied to their fanbase when they promised the money would be there when the time came. Forget that KW and Hahn are contradicting each other today, which means they're still lying even today.

With the low payroll the last few years and the low commitment in payroll going forward. If one player for 30 mil per over 10 years is too much. Then they simply aren't interested in competing at a high level. In all my years as a Chicago sports fan (and I'm older than most of you), I've never been this disgusted with one of 'my teams' as I am today.

I feel stupid for believing that they were serious about signing a big free agent.
There was one day that was arguably worse and that was Chelios to Detroit.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I'm a bit surprised at Sox nations reaction to this. I'm not arguing with anyone, feel how you want. But I'm genuinely surprised at the reaction. I guess I just never really thought he was coming personally where most people did.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I will never go as far as saying someone is in Bill Wirtz territory (that's crossing the line lol), but he is definitely bad. As DA on the ST board said if it wasn't for the greatest player of all time and a flukey 05', JR wouldn't have any championships on his resume.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
I'm a bit surprised at Sox nations reaction to this. I'm not arguing with anyone, feel how you want. But I'm genuinely surprised at the reaction. I guess I just never really thought he was coming personally where most people did.

I barely followed any of it, but wasn't it pretty obvious how this would end based on how long it went unresolved?

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I barely followed any of it, but wasn't it pretty obvious how this would end based on how long it went unresolved?
I thought it was pretty clear that the Sox were interested but had a number they weren't going to go beyond. If they landed him, I thought that would mean the market was softer than everyone anticipated.

As it dragged out, the usual suspects (nyy, lad, etc.) weren't getting involved, it seemed more possible. But if 10/300 was going to be the price, I didn't think he'd end up here and personally I'm ok with that. But that's a separate conversation all together.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

July 31, 1997 was worse

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I will never go as far as saying someone is in Bill Wirtz territory (that's crossing the line lol), but he is definitely bad. As DA on the ST board said if it wasn't for the greatest player of all time and a flukey 05', JR wouldn't have any championships on his resume.

Ok by that logic if not for Indians choke the Cubs would still be searching for 1st title

Or if not for 1985 the Bears would be another Lions

Bit absurd to take away credit for championships to trash someone (Especially 7)

And if not for Jerry the Sox may not even be in Chicago. Lets not forget the multiple attempts to relocate them during the decade+ before he bought team

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Ok by that logic if not for Indians choke the Cubs would still be searching for 1st title

Or if not for 1985 the Bears would be another Lions

Bit absurd to take away credit for championships to trash someone (Especially 7)

And if not for Jerry the Sox may not even be in Chicago. Lets not forget the multiple attempts to relocate them during the decade+ before he bought team

George Halas is a 6 time champion. Ricketts family just got here and already have a championship ring on their resume (the same amount as JR in 30+ less years). Bashing the owners before them or currently (McCaskeys) is more than justified.

I'll be damned if I attend a single game this season putting money in that bastard's pocket. No more.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Maybe I’m just a clueless idiot but I never actually thought the Sox would get Machado. I’m a bit shocked to see that many fans that upset about not landing him.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Not even close IMO. They weren't catching the Indians that year.

Disagree

The Indians were weak that year and team still was within just a few games early in September

With one or two additions and keeping those players the Sox could have pulled it off

It was a slap in face to fans especially when they were just returning to stadium and still upset about the strike

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Maybe I’m just a clueless idiot but I never actually thought the Sox would get Machado. I’m a bit shocked to see that many fans that upset about not landing him.
He was there for the taking, but this chicken shit organization backed out.

That's what's so upsetting. If they made a REAL offer and simply weren't picked, it'd be less disappointing. But they essentially lied to the fan base for 2 years about how serious they were.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
He was there for the taking, but this chicken **** organization backed out.

That's what's so upsetting. If they made a REAL offer and simply weren't picked, it'd be less disappointing. But they essentially lied to the fan base for 2 years about how serious they were.

Well said

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
He was there for the taking, but this chicken **** organization backed out.

I just can't get behind 8 years 250 (plus incentives) not being a "real offer".

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

when i heard that the Sox was pursuing MM, i kinda figure it would failed, and yeah B/C of the $$$$ involve. i know i am right. the owner will always run this org as in the cheapest way possible. the yr of the Series, their payroll was considered reasonable, but it was cheap. JR will not go over the 120-130 mil range.

this is or was the yr to really put the finishing touches on the team and come out swinging. but nah they the FO lackeys of JR don't think so.

yeah i am still a sox fan and will be watching as i have been watching them since the mid 1960's.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
They didn't give him what he ultimately signed for, so they weren't ever serious? Agree to disagree.
It's clear they only wanted him if he could be had at a discount.

That's the definition of not being a serious. A real big league organization would've done what it took to get their guy. They had no interest of doing so.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
It's clear they only wanted him if he could be had at a discount.

That's the definition of not being a serious. A real big league organization would've done what it took to get their guy. They had no interest of doing so.
I agree with the first statement, disagree with the second.

You seem to be suggesting that there can always be only one team to have been serious about signing any free agent player, as the other ones ultimately didn't do what it takes to sign a guy and therefore weren't serious or didn't make a real offer.

Every team has to decide what any free agent is worth to them in terms of a contract offer. Just because a team doesn't ultimately have the best offer doesn't mean they weren't serious or didn't make a real offer, at least to me.

We're the Sox the only team to make Louis Robert a real or serious offer? Or were the Sox just the team to value his services (or willing to take the risk) more than the others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille