Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LX: Wild Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crow

May 19, 2014
With the humidor, it's not as much easier as it is different. You're seeing a lot of fastballs and breaking balls don't break as much. I don't think there's as much aid to elite hitters as there is to middling guys who just pound fastballs. The elite guys, like Arenado, would be elite anywhere.

I wish there were more data on it, but it's seemed like in the past elite hitters have evened out when they left Coors as their home park. They're able to adjust more to breaking stuff because they see it more often.
Supposedly the humidor has made a huge difference in numbers. I haven’t personally pored over numbers.

However, with the guys I mentioned, their splits every year still indicate a competitive advantage.

That said I haven’t looked at javy’s splits each year. Wrigley field is at least thought of as a nice hitters park.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Supposedly the humidor has made a huge difference in numbers. I haven’t personally pored over numbers.

However, with the guys I mentioned, their splits every year still indicate a competitive advantage.

That said I haven’t looked at javy’s splits each year. Wrigley field is at least thought of as a nice hitters park.
Wrigley is a great hitters park when the wind is blowing out. It's really dependent on the weather ... moreso than most stadiums. Some of the newer stadiums like Baltimore, Cincy, or Houston are far more hitter friendly.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Nolan Arenado is a .980 OPS hitter at home. .789 away.

Trevor Story this year is .805 OPS at home vs .723 away.

Charlie Blackmon last year 1.239 home OPS vs .784 away.

Reactions: Easy E

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Players tend to hit better at home than on the road but the Blackmon split is ridiculous.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Players tend to hit better at home than on the road but the Blackmon split is ridiculous.
Arenado’s is fairly ridiculous too. He goes from a little above average to among the best hitters in baseball. That’s over 850 games too so it’s not some fluke.

Actually story’s are even more of a disparity. Over 200 OPS difference in his short career

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Matt Holiday's 5 years in Coors vs his subsequent 5 years out of Coors

Home - .450 wOBA/158 wRC+
Away - .348 wOBA/108 wRC+

Home - .403 wOBA/157 wRC+
Away - .375 wOBA/134 wRC+

This isn't a perfect theory and it's hard to test, but I don't think it's fair to apply that thinking to elite hitters. They're conditioned to see more fastballs and flat breaking balls. When they go away from home, that adjustment becomes more pronounced. So, yea, you get a bit of beef at home, but you also have to see things differently on the road. The problem is identifying who the elite hitter is and who's the guy just feasting on the fastballs.

At the end of the day, there are a bunch of park adjusted stats that still have Arenado as a top 25 hitter. So, even if you reject this hypothesis, he's still fantastic at the plate and fantastic in the field.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Nolan Arenado is a .980 OPS hitter at home. .789 away.

Trevor Story this year is .805 OPS at home vs .723 away.

Charlie Blackmon last year 1.239 home OPS vs .784 away.

Great stats. Never looked these up. Pretty crazy.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Feel like the Cubs have been hitting really poorly against poor pitching lately (while hitting well against aces, which makes total sense lol), so nice to see them tee off on a scrub for once.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Feel like the Cubs have been hitting really poorly against poor pitching lately (while hitting well against aces, which makes total sense lol), so nice to see them tee off on a scrub for once.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while lol :D

Nah, it was just a really long, painful slump and the no days off really didn't help .

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
This has been one of Maddon's better managing jobs. So many injuries this year including Darvish, Chatwood, Morrow, Bryant, Russell, Heyward, Strop, Edwards, Schwarber, etc. The Cubs are still leading the NL.

Justin Wilson and Strop's health will be the key to the Cubs post season run. Edwards has to get his head straightened out.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Cubs-Brewers-Cards top 3 in the entire NL.

Wasn’t someone saying recently the Cubs were in a weak division this year?

ObeyPerry

Sep 5, 2011
Chicago, IL
Just got to get Strop healthy.
How come Maddon did not have Strop just go into the batters box and take 3 strikes? Cubs already had a 1 run lead. There was only one out when Strop went in there so they still would have had one more chance to get the runners in.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
How come Maddon did not have Strop just go into the batters box and take 3 strikes? Cubs already had a 1 run lead. There was only one out when Strop went in there so they still would have had one more chance to get the runners in.
These are professional athletes. It was only a 1 run lead and Strop is not a China doll. The ability to run 90 feet shouldn't be hard for any professional athlete.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
These are professional athletes. It was only a 1 run lead and Strop is not a China doll. The ability to run 90 feet shouldn't be hard for any professional athlete.
This is exactly what I was thinking about this morning .

He has been playing almost all of his life. Things happen

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010

Right, no one plays and no one manages anticipating an injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad