Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LVII: Bulls draft Carter & Hutchison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Swedes weren't better. There few chances were created by German brain farts. Germans had a good chance in minute 87 and hit the post in additional time. It was long overdue. If Germany can figure out that Muller is pretty bad the last 6 months they may get better. Subbing out Özil and Khedira helped.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
This whole series. ****ing brutal. Every time this team gets tied or slightly ahead for first, they **** their pants. 3-5 against the Reds, who will have 31 wins after today. That’s 16% of their wins against the Cubs. Lol. Just a brutal series. Offense is struggling... shocking! But they’ll score 15 some game soon to make their stats look better, so we don’t have to worry about it.

Cubs have apparently taking on the personality of Javier Baez. Why? For fun? ¯\_(ツ)_/

The Cardinals are freaking 9-1 against this same Reds team that the Cubs can't figure out. Think about that for a moment. The Cubs do not need to wait till the second half to get going.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Report: Hanley Ramirez 'eyed' in ongoing investigation

"Obviously, I know nothing about sports of Hanley Ramirez's stats, but what I do know is crime. And there has been some reports about a FaceTime phone call that was made between a man during a car stop. After that car stop, police recovered a significant amount of drugs. And during that car stop, the suspect claimed that one of the items found in the vehicle belonged to Hanley Ramirez and then FaceTimed [Ramirez] in front of police. And that car stop coordinated with the timing of his release from the Red Sox."

McPhee was apparently one of the reporters who broke initial Hernandez case

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
My goodness the Cubs are absolute trash this series. The pitching.... my goodness. It’s the damn Reds.

Gave up 6 runs without even recording an out that inning :facepalm:

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
The Cubs had no interests in playing that series against the Reds.

Suffice to say, when the Reds come to town in a couple of weeks, I expect that to be different.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Ouch Germany. They deserved to be out. They should have gone winless in the World Cup. Without a favorable referee call on their 2nd goal against South Korea, Mexico would be out too. That group was far closer than expected.

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
We Timed Every Game. World Cup Stoppage Time Is Wildly Inaccurate.

An interesting article on stoppage time in soccer. As a very casual soccer fan I've never understood the point of soccer's time-keeping system, the stalling tactics of teams trying to run out the clock is blatant and its prevalence is telling to its effectiveness. The article provides some empirical numbers to what I've always believed as a casual fan.

There’s a reason that players feign injuries when leading or dig the ball out of the net and run to midfield after scoring a goal while trailing. Their perception is that not enough stoppage time is added. So far this World Cup, their perception has proven to be reality.

If these results are consistent across levels (and my observations lead me to believe that these tactics are common and effective at all levels) then what is the reasoning for soccer's archaic timing system? I appreciate that soccer games end quickly and on time but timeliness shouldn't come at the expense of fair play thanks to flagrant delay tactics. Just stop the clock while the goalie pretends to have an injury and keep the guess-work out of it.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I'm a casual soccer fan as well (watch the world cup but not much else) and the timing thing seems so crazy to me. The idea that only the ref(s) know when the game will end seems so dumb. I dont mean this in a "soccer sucks" way, just the idea itself. Is there a ratioanle behind it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad