Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LIX: Holy Bote!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Interesting about Seager. I didn't know Turner can play 2B. Shows you how much I've been following baseball the last 15 years.

Yeah ... Houston is interesting. I'm curious if they start spending like a big market team. I guess if Texas (Dallas) can, so could Houston.
Watching videos on how to play second can give you a rundown of the general awkwardness. Shortstop has the advantage of always being brought toward second, so everything is very natural.

Yea, I'm not sure if he can do it anymore, but he was 2B/3B in NY.

Like I said, it's not like they lack money.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Yeah, we saw his top end potential and it was amazing. The difference is Trout and prime Cabrera bring it every year. I just don’t see him in that tier and wouldn’t want to pay that kind of money for the potential he plays he at that level. And specifically to the Cubs, they have plenty of offense but could use more pitching help.

I could see an argument where maybe if he was on a team like the Cubs, he would have less pressure on him and be able to be more consistent but unfortunately we would have to pay first and find out later.
It's not like he's bad though (well, he was that one year, but he did have that wrist injury). He's always an All-Star caliber player at minimum. You could argue that more top end consistency could come in his prime.

I see less risk in giving Harper the money he wants than say a Dallas Keuchel deal for 25-30 mil per over 5-6 years.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
It's not like he's bad though (well, he was that one year, but he did have that wrist injury). He's always an All-Star caliber player at minimum. You could argue that more top end consistency could come in his prime.

I see less risk in giving Harper the money he wants than say a Dallas Keuchel deal for 25-30 mil per over 5-6 years.

Yeah, if that was the choice, I agree completely. We’ve put enough free agent money into the rotation. We just need Hamels to keep doing what he’s doing, hopefully for another year after this one and get Darvish rolling again. My main target in free agency is Kimbrel. I don’t know what he will want but at least with a guy like that, you could keep it to 4 or 5 years and still have a lot of flexibility when it comes time to pay our position players.

P.S.- Make sure you do fantasy baseball with us next year, would love the challenge of competing with you and your knowledge.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Glad to see Bryant is realizing that he needs to take it easy on his body and not keep overdoing his swing training.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Maybe he still will

If Nats are that desperate to keep him to be face of franchise that should give him and his agent some leverage

I wouldn't give him or any player a $400M deal

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'm still expecting that Harper will end up a Yankee. They'll just bite the bullet and write a check that's bigger than anybody else and barely think about it.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I'm still expecting that Harper will end up a Yankee. They'll just bite the bullet and write a check that's bigger than anybody else and barely think about it.
Hal is a bit different from his father, George. I don't think they want to get deep into the luxury tax. Furthermore, the Yankees are desperate for starting pitching next year.

I've heard the Braves theory with Harper. It makes some sense ... but that's another "bigger market city" that spends like a small market.

The only reason money is becoming an issue for the big market teams ... they don't want to get into the newly instituted luxury tax. I don't know how punitive it is, but I do remember the Dodgers desperately wanting to stay out of it last year. I suspect the Yankees and Cubs want to do as well. The Cubs are fine, but they'll have to open up their wallets in 2-3 years for their own players.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Hal is a bit different from his father, George. I don't think they want to get deep into the luxury tax. Furthermore, the Yankees are desperate for starting pitching next year.

I've heard the Braves theory with Harper. It makes some sense ... but that's another "bigger market city" that spends like a small market.

The only reason money is becoming an issue for the big market teams ... they don't want to get into the newly instituted luxury tax. I don't know how punitive it is, but I do remember the Dodgers desperately wanting to stay out of it last year. I suspect the Yankees and Cubs want to do as well. The Cubs are fine, but they'll have to open up their wallets in 2-3 years for their own players.
This is the problem with the new luxury tax rules: It is effectively a soft salary cap, from the players perspective there is no floor, and teams can choose to spend or not spend. The players have already caved on this, so they should now go one step further and just agree to a cap and floor structure. Baseball's "middle class" isn't getting paid in FA, so this would be a way to ensure that they do.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Apparently DePaul is landing some recruits. Good to see them starting to make some headway on getting back to being relevant.
I don't trust Dave Leitao. Allegedly, DePaul offered $200K for Brian Bowen in the Louisville deposition against Rick Pitino. Tyger Campbell committed ... only to decommit after the FBI report came out. Leitao hired the head basketball coach of LaLumiere High School. LaLumiere is where Bowen, Campbell, and ex Illini recruit, Jeremiah Tillmon, went to high school. Leitao brought the scrutiny on himself.

Text found in court records claims DePaul offered $200,000 to five-star recruit

Ultimately, Brian Bowen signed with a professional team in Australia. He knew the NCAA would never declare him eligible.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Guess I’ll take Rick’s word for it.

Also it’s gotten to the point where I say “so what”. If they’re going to start pulling 4 and 5 star recruits I am amped.
That is true. Major college basketball is so corrupt, there are only a handful of head coaches doing it right. Seriously, it's like Beilein, Bennett, and Brey and then everyone else.

And to be fair to DePaul, these recruits aren't one and dones. They are top 100 recruits who have nice upside. DePaul finally has nice facilities in the South Loop.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
Quintana blows.

Cubs are going to be on the path to a first round exit if Quintana and Lester don't figure it out soon

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Maryland accepts responsibility for accidentally killing Jordan McNair. Now if only Michigan State would take some accountability. It's amazing Tom Izzo and Mark Dantonio haven't said a word since they claimed to be worried about the victims. Meanwhile Urban Meyer and his family / friends are on their media tour.

Sadly, Urban Meyer and Ohio State are probably the best out of the trio of the B1G East Division. At least Urban might have some legal explanation to his process ... although he is still shady as heck.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Rays moved Tyler Glasnow out of bullpen role he had with Pirates this year and back into starting role after trade and so far he is looking very promising for them in role

Pirates paid too much IMO

Last edited:

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I believe the Cubs have been shutout in their last three games against the Brewers. Probably shouldn’t be doing that against the team you’re in the division race against.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Interesting

So complain about busting 2B and crappy package for one of the top pitchers in game = Unreasonable and bad
Attacking a quality SP because it was Cubs who traded for him = Reasonable

This board as always

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad