OT: Other Chicago & General Sports Thread L: RIP Jerry Krause

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Look, I'm a fan of beer as much as anybody, but....

.... that's all I got.

But seriously, I doubt that the Sox go full tank. They don't have as deep of a coffer as the Cubs and don't have nearly as much guaranteed butts in the seats regardless of the product on the field (for good reasons or bad, take your pick either way for either club), so bottoming out intentionally doesn't seem like it's in the cards for them right now.

bearcat90

Aug 11, 2016
Sox to sign Derek Holland. http://m.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article/211135908/white-sox-derek-holland-close-in-on-contract/

Good vet depth to eat up innings until the kids are ready. Maybe Coop can turn him into an asset to deal at the deadline.

EDIT: 1 year, 6 million. (+ 1 million in performance bonuses)

Really like this signing for the Sox. Best case scenario, he gives you 100+ innings and you flip him for a prospect. Worst case...uh...6 million out of Jerry's pocket?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Shows that KW still has some say in Sox front office

He coveted Holland a few years back when he was still GM but couldn't get the Rangers to give him up

Vacheron

Dec 11, 2016
I think they're done. Got some future prospects while still having a chance to contend for a wild card spot (in their minds).

Insufficient. Everyone should go.

This signing is a one year deal to field a team next year.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Really like this signing for the Sox. Best case scenario, he gives you 100+ innings and you flip him for a prospect. Worst case...uh...6 million out of Jerry's pocket?

There's basically no risk to the signing which is why is a good one.

i agree with both of the these opinions, b/c with Sale being traded and the possibility of Jose Q going the same route. the sox needs pitchers to take over for next yr.

further take into consideration, any other future trade, the sox will need a replacement player to take over, whether that player is internal or via trade or most likely a cheap, 1 yr fa signing.

is this proof that KW is still in control?? imo i say no, the reason this is a good cost effective signing. however some can make a case that this sound like KW kind of a move, i still won't accept this b/c this makes too much sense.

now, i will still maintain that the Bos trade was/is a kw kind of a trade. the saving money is the key ingredient for my assessment.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
The Sox need to get more of these good players moved. There's no 2nd place in the 2018 draft. They have to seriously gut this thing if they want to draft Seth.

i totally agree, but whether the sox will do this, i just don't know.

d robertson - cl still could be move, now that the fa's signing for a closer is somewhat clearer.

todd frazier - 3b, well a one yr reasonable contract, esp for a power hitting player.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
They signed a mediocre lefty to eat innings. This isn't the DaVinci code people.

imho, i really don't get the impression, that there is any posters who thinks other wise.

it is a 1 yr, cheap contract for a player to establish himself and / or to be decent.

a decent clear cut move to provide an arm in the starting pitching rotation.

Last edited:

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

.... that's all I got.

But seriously, I doubt that the Sox go full tank. They don't have as deep of a coffer as the Cubs and don't have nearly as much guaranteed butts in the seats regardless of the product on the field (for good reasons or bad, take your pick either way for either club), so bottoming out intentionally doesn't seem like it's in the cards for them right now.

Do you really believe the difference between 65 and 75 wins is going to be a huge jump in attendance?

There hasn't been this much excitement within the fanbase in years. Going halfway isn't an option and they know it.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL

.... that's all I got.

I think they've made it clear they are going full tank. Hahn already told us there's going to be some pain in the short term.

Now...do they go out of their way to give themselves a legit chance at Seth Beer? Eh, we'll see. Right now they have too much talent to lose 100-110 games, which is generally where the worst team is around.

Replacing Chris Sale with Derek Holland is a huge step towards Seth Beer though. If they do something similar with Jose Quintana, and you go in to the season with Carlos Rodon as your #1 starter....it could happen.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Do you really believe the difference between 65 and 75 wins is going to be a huge jump in attendance?

There hasn't been this much excitement within the fanbase in years. Going halfway isn't an option and they know it.

nice post and spot on.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I think they've made it clear they are going full tank. Hahn already told us there's going to be some pain in the short term.

Now...do they go out of their way to give themselves a legit chance at Seth Beer? Eh, we'll see. Right now they have too much talent to lose 100-110 games, which is generally where the worst team is around.

Replacing Chris Sale with Derek Holland is a huge step towards Seth Beer though. If they do something similar with Jose Quintana, and you go in to the season with Carlos Rodon as your #1 starter....it could happen.

nice.....

but imo, if the sox does nothing else, thing this chatter from the fo is to lessen the move of the 2 key players in the fiasco last yr.

but the sox needs to continue in this tweaking. btw, i can't wait to see where the team will be ranked in the new minor league ranking.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
nice.....

but imo, if the sox does nothing else, thing this chatter from the fo is to lessen the move of the 2 key players in the fiasco last yr.

but the sox needs to continue in this tweaking. btw, i can't wait to see where the team will be ranked in the new minor league ranking.

Pretty sure right after the Sale and Eaton trades they were bumped to like a top 5 system in baseball.

Ben Grimm

Blue collar cool 🛒
Dec 10, 2007
Lower E. Side
distrokid.com
Mirotic was a DNP, now faces a fine for being an unexcused absence at the pregame walk-through. Real professional, bro. I hope they get rid of him. MCW can fill his roster slot when he comes back by the end of next week.

EDIT: Antetokounmpo, Bucks roll past Bulls again, 95-69

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad