Other Arizona Sports Thread 5: Cardinals, Dbacks, Suns, Sun Devils, Wildcats, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Looking at baseball attendance is like looking at how full the office is on a holiday when you are supposed to have the day off. Baseball gets paid whether or not you show up to the games, their TV contracts are insane. Issue down the road? Sure. But honestly the bottom line of their financials isn't dependent on if people show up or not.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I would also propose that playing 162 games hurts attendance.

If you lose your first 10 games in the NFL your season is over.

If you lose your first 10 games in the NHL the fans will start talking about firing the coach, the trade deadline, and tanking.

Losing your first 10 MLB games has almost no impact on the season. Last year 86 wins put the Astros in the playoffs. By losing your first 10 you need to go 86-66 "down the stretch", which is only a 56% win rate.

Bottom line, the LONG season creates a lack of urgency and apathy among the fans.

P.S. The above commentary comes from someone who LOVES baseball.

Last edited:

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I would also propose that playing 162 games hurts attendance.

If you lose your first 10 games in the NFL your season is over.

If you lose your first 10 games in the NHL the fans will start talking about firing the coach, the trade deadline, and tanking.

Losing your first 10 MLB games has almost no impact on the season. Last year 86 wins put the Astros in the playoffs. By losing your first 10 you need to go 86-66 "down the stretch", which is only a 56% win rate.

Bottom line, the LONG season creates a lack of urgency and apathy among the fans.

P.S. The above commentary comes from someone who LOVES baseball.

Oh it definitely does. 81 home games a year, that's a lot of baseball to go to(most games are averaging 3 hours). Most games start at 6:40, it takes its toll on you over a season. I love watching baseball, but I can't sit through 162 games a year.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I marvel at people who "haven't missed a home game in x years" for baseball. Who else but retirees would have that kind of time? probably 400-500 "manhours", if you will, over 6 months.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Plus the afternoon games. You'd better have a nice boss if you aren't retired.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
You don't. It's always been boring as hell!

Might be boring, but I actually enjoy watching baseball. It's not what it "should" be from my perspective. When I get a guy on 1st, I want to bunt them over if I can, and a single knocks in a run most of the time. The NL doesn't play like that, I mean most pitchers now a days just swing the bat. That's the kind of baseball game I like to watch. These big 10-7 games aren't my kind of style. I like the low scoring, alright let's think about how we can scratch out a run to win type of games.

Plus the afternoon games. You'd better have a nice boss if you aren't retired.

This. I could probably get away with it, but I would be working at night AFTER the game, and before. No thanks, I'll skip the game to work straight and enjoy the evening.

I marvel at people who "haven't missed a home game in x years" for baseball. Who else but retirees would have that kind of time? probably 400-500 "manhours", if you will, over 6 months.

Exactly. Good for those that do, but if I was to try and do season tickets I would want to go in with a group, and we just pick the games we want to go to. Heck, even seeing each team 1 time per year would be ok with me. This whole attendance talk is garbage. Yes, there are some teams that have people that do it, but let's be realistic. I do not expect baseball to sell out. From the looks of it, I know it's early on but the lower level has been pretty full. Weekend games with the Cubs should have good attendance, but who really cares? These players are making out like bandits, and it's because of the TV deals, not because of people that go to the games.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Announced attendance 27k. Cubbies are a big draw.

I like this D-back uniform. Simple...classic

1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Zack Greinke has a ERA of over 9 after 2 starts. Maybe the Dodgers knew something that the D-backs didn't...

I paid more than I usually do to sit favorably to watch the master pitch in Saturday's game. What struck me was there didn't seem to be anything special about his pitching. When you saw Schilling or Johnson pitch, you knew it; they were in command, ahead of every hitter.

Greinke's fastball only touched 93 mph, and they were hitting his off-speed stuff as well. He only started settling down and fooling hitters in around the fourth inning, when it was too late. Obviously, Greinke has been one of the best in the game, but it hasn't been on display in two out of two games here.

I will say that sitting among over 10,000 Cubs fans when they're winning is even more annoying than sitting with Blackhawks or Wings fans, and that's a pretty high bar to clear.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
That kind of pitcher is a dying breed. Or is dead. Maybe Felix Hernandez before his velocity drop was the closest?

For my money Greinke should have won the Cy Young over Arietta though it was definitely close.

Greinke is kind of like pre-cutter happy Haren in approach. Excellent with pitch sequences and changing eye levels. Neither one had the absolutely lethal stuff like you'd think of an RJ but could locate extremely well and not walk guys. Biggest deficit for pitching in Chase is the propensity for fly balls. He has a good 2 seam fastball that should help though.

I will say that sitting among over 10,000 Cubs fans when they're winning is even more annoying than sitting with Blackhawks or Wings fans, and that's a pretty high bar to clear.

Yep. That's why I found an otherwise meaningless sweep of the Cubs back in 2007 so enjoyable :laugh:

The dumbfounded look on a particularly annoying crop of them in front of me was hysterical when Reynolds hit a homer to give the Diamondbacks the lead in game 1. Especially after they had spent the last 6 innings talking crap.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
The Diamondbacks attendance still isn't very high despite games played on the weekend and against a team like the Cubs. As far as the 162 games in a season vs 16 games in an NFL season comment is concerned, teams like the Rams(back in St. Louis), Jaguars, and Dolphins continue to have attendance issues despite the low number of games in a season. If we want to see better attendance in certain markets, give the product the people want and do it on a frequent basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad