OT: Why does Canada suck at soccer?

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
The real issue is Canadians are passionate about hockey. It is what Canada cares about. We won both gold, at hockey for Men and Women. Also, we have 6 months of winter in a lot of our country.

Until there are lots of passionate fans who will pay to watch soccer in Canada, we can't really afford to develop soccer players.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Canada suffers from its history. FIFA allows players to play for the same country in which their grandparents were born. As a result, some of the best Canadian players we have (i.e. Owen Hargreaves, Jonathan De Guzman) played for countries who were ranked higher than Canada because that gave them a better chance of winning the World Cup. I mean if the Dutch or English asked you to play for them, wouldn't you be tempted to play for them?

Also, I believe clubs in England don't have to release players for international matches if their FIFA ranking isn't high enough. So our top players who make it to the top of the European division don't play in our international friendlies which mean we don't win the games, which doesn't raise our ranking, which means we have a small chance of ever raising our FIFA ranking.

ironpatriothockey27

Dec 26, 2013
Needles
I asked myself the same thing when I visited Canada twice in 2012 and 2013. In Toronto it seemed like soccer was such a huge deal and was on tv everywhere I went. I think the interest in soccer is there, maybe even more so than here in the states at times. I have a feeling that Canada wont suck for much longer in soccer especially if the huge influx of immigrants that have come into Canada end up developing into future soccer players. It might take another 10-15 years. I am not too familiar with how the Canadian Soccer Federation is ran so I wont get into that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad