OT: Why does Canada suck at soccer?

flames12

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary
We are currently ranked 112th in the world. Why do we suck so much? I don't buy the snow **** there are countries in western Europe that are quite good with similar climate(Switzerland 8th in the world, Sweden 27, etc).

How Ya Drouin

12/08/13 GM GamesRIP
Apr 24, 2013
Ontario
Our development programs. It's near impossible to become a professional soccer player in Canada as a young kid, because there's no developmental programs across the country (see: CHL for hockey etc.). Having three professional teams will help with that, but it needs an overhaul.

Also no "youth academies" (like Europe) that will bring together the best players from certain areas to play together and hone their skills with top end coaches (there also aren't too many of those).

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
1307soccer131221400.jpg

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
After youth soccer, we lack competitive, top level development leagues. Add to that distance - most urban areas are separated by several hundred miles of driving. At the university level, like all university sports in Canada, scholarships are fewer and less comprehensive than NCAA soccer programs. Then factor in that our top professional league is shared with our much larger neighbour and is clearly a step below most European and South American leagues.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Simple; politics.

Soccer Canada has no idea what they are doing and until they do the Men's National Team will likely never get better.

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
As others have said, our developmental programs are terrible compared to other places, especially at younger ages. I've seen some programs in Europe while there and it's astonishing just how different it can be from here. Over there its heavily focused on ball control, skills development, and team play before kids even get into real games. Over here, most kids go into soccer as fun hobby, and unless parents can pay for the higher programs it seems younger players are pushed into programs that don't do a whole lot to make you better, but simply provide an activity for you.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Because our three (and arguably four) best players don't play for us - Begovic, Hoilett, de Guzman, and Bunbury.

Adding 3 EPL players to our squad including a world-class keeper would make a world of difference.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
Because our three (and arguably four) best players don't play for us - Begovic, Hoilett, de Guzman, and Bunbury.

Adding 3 EPL players to our squad including a world-class keeper would make a world of difference.

Right but I'd argue that one of the biggest reasons why they refuse to play for Canada is the lack of support Canada gives to their soccer programs and to the soccer team. Those best players don't want to play for a sinking ship; they want to be competitive.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I wonder how many of our top hockey players would actually be top soccer players if hockey didn't exist. Yes infrastructure is a problem as mentioned already, but I wonder how many athletes simply choose sports that are more popular in Canada and the US instead. Football, Hockey, Baseball and Basketball are just too attractive. Athletes can stay in NA and still make big money and get endorsement deals.

Superpest

Undrafted Free Agent
May 20, 2009
Cascadia
I was a star (lol) player in a pretty strong program (Bays United - Victoria) then school ended and I was too small to competitively play against men so I quit.

Any kind of transition between U-18 and mens (u 25 I think) would have been great.

flames12

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary
Right but I'd argue that one of the biggest reasons why they refuse to play for Canada is the lack of support Canada gives to their soccer programs and to the soccer team. Those best players don't want to play for a sinking ship; they want to be competitive.

I think your on to something. It's like Steve Nash with Canadian basketball he ever wanted to play for our program because it was a sinking ship. Though now with the talent that we are producing we should be a top 5 nation for b-ball in 10 years.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Women's team ain't bad.

Hell, I was as emotionally involved in that semifinals loss to the Americans than almost any hockey game I've ever watched. Sinclair was just beyond incredible.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver

Well three of those players I can understand not playing for Canada. de Guzman was a kick in the teeth though.

But yeah, no money, no vision and no sustained development.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
As others have mentioned, there are plenty of other cold states (arguably colder, when you look at where people live) that do just fine in soccer. Sweden has a much smaller population than Canada and ices a good hockey team even while being miles and miles ahead of Canada (and much if Europe) in soccer.

Plus the cold excuse doesn't even work for southwestern BC, which should easily be able to produce a good number of players. (Not to mention, there is no organic reason why hockey should rule, seeing as there is basically no outdoor ice hockey).

Women's team ain't bad.
This has far more to do with the status of women in Canada (such as university sports funding) than actual soccer, though. In due time, I expect many of the non-Islamic FIFA members to catch up.

Last edited:

JohnnyWalker

May 25, 2011
Toronto ON

LOL the CSA was doing ALL the leg work for JDG2 to get his papers in order to play for us during the last qualifying session and were in constant contact with him. Stephen Hart and his brother even made trips across the pond to talk to him. That ***** lead them along and then at the last minute says "ya **** off, no thanks."

Had we had these guys playing for us there is no way we lose 8-0 to Honduras. Before that **** show we weren't a sinking ship and making the Hex would have been enormous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad