OT: What other Canadian cities could support MLS teams?

SlickShot

Feb 8, 2019
Calgary definitely couldn't. We couldn't even support minor league baseball when it was here. I don't think Calgary would ever get a team and I don't mind if Calgary doesn't.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
There definitely will not be another MLS team in Canada now with Canadian Premier League.

Yes, with the CPL now intact, the CSA will not sanction any more Canadian based teams to play in non Canadian leagues.

There's issues with the Ottawa Fury chosing to play in the USL this year. CONCACAF tried late to unsanction them for this year but let up, but I can see the Fury eventually in CPL...even if it's not their own will.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Yes, with the CPL now intact, the CSA will not sanction any more Canadian based teams to play in non Canadian leagues.

There's issues with the Ottawa Fury chosing to play in the USL this year. CONCACAF tried late to unsanction them for this year but let up, but I can see the Fury eventually in CPL...even if it's not their own will.
Wow. Never heard of this. Shows how knowledgeable I am on the subject :laugh:. Do you think that the teams will be more popular than the MLS ones?

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Wow. Never heard of this. Shows how knowledgeable I am on the subject :laugh:. Do you think that the teams will be more popular than the MLS ones?

The CPL? Hard to say. They don't have a media deal yet even though they start play in 2 1/2 months.

A Freind of mine who's a huge soccer fan just heard about the league the local team (York 9FC) a few days ago though the BBC!

Most teams are in non-MLS markets so they should carve their niche. Though I think the inter federation politics may be more fun to watch than the games themselves :)

Last edited:

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
The CPL? Hard to say. They don't have a media deal yet even though they start play in 2 1/2 months.

A Freind of mine who's a huge soccer fan just heard about the league the local team (York 9FC) a few days ago though the BBC!

Most teams are in non-MLS markets so they should carve their niche. Though I think the inter federation politics may be more fun to watch than the games themselves :)
Hmm, doesn't seem like something that will ever be as big or popular as the MLS.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn

Its funny because eventually, if MLS keeps growing, Don Garber might try to get the three Canadian teams out of MLS and in to CPL.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Its funny because eventually, if MLS keeps growing, Don Garber might try to get the three Canadian teams out of MLS and in to CPL.

The economics of MLS in of itself may cause a team or 2 to move.

Losing millions per season, Montreal Impact owner calls for a financial makeover | CBC News

Saputo frequently comments to the media about massive losses and underperforming attendance when they're not winning.
This despite they own the stadium they play in. It's basic by MLS standards and are seeking millions in tax breaks so they can upgrade the place.

The Vancouver Whitecaps, though they draw well are merely renters of BC Place, where they don't make money outside of game day. In addition with the stadium not being 'soccer specific', I wouldn't be surprised if this is where Garber targets the next stadium shakedown.

Both places are not conducive to keeping up with the pack revenue-wise, depending on how much longer expansion cheques keep coming, I can see both clubs being relocation candidates in the next decade. Scenarios where the CPL will easily swoop in

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Losing millions per season, Montreal Impact owner calls for a financial makeover | CBC News

Saputo frequently comments to the media about massive losses and underperforming attendance when they're not winning.
This despite they own the stadium they play in. It's basic by MLS standards and are seeking millions in tax breaks so they can upgrade the place.

The Vancouver Whitecaps, though they draw well are merely renters of BC Place, where they don't make money outside of game day. In addition with the stadium not being 'soccer specific', I wouldn't be surprised if this is where Barber targets the next stadium shakedown.

Both places are not conducive to keeping up with the pack revenue-wise, depending on how much longer expansion cheques keep coming, I can see both clubs being relocation candidates in the next decade. Scenarios where the CPL will easily swoop in

I've heard the reports from Montreal as well. They are way behind the other MLS teams in terms of revenue.

Vancouver - Kerfoot wanted to build a stadium by the Waterfront over a decade ago. But, the businesses/residents of the area opposed the stadium. Still owns property down there, but that's not going to happen. Personally, I wish he had been able to build it. Target size was supposed to be around 25-28K. Ideally, like BMO Field in Toronto, the BC Lions would also join them. CFL/MLS here requires 30K at most these days. Days of the 50K plus attendance for the Lions in the 80's is long over. Just doesn't have a great feel when you curtain off the upper bowl for the games.

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
The answer to this question starts and ends with Calgary, simply because it is the largest Canadian market without an MLS team. And as SlickShot stated, the answer is a pretty resounding "no".

Tepid fan interest, no suitable venue and a climate that is not conducive to outdoor games until May at the very earliest conspire against the viability of a soccer team in Calgary. It is much the same situation in Edmonton. And then other than Ottawa you're looking at markets with less than 1,000,000 people, that factor alone being a great detriment to the viability of a pro soccer team.

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
Truthfully I think MLS would just cannibalize the CFL in markets like Ottawa, Calgary, and Edmonton. I would rather have a strong CFL and the existing MLS footprint than a weaker CFL and a larger yet weaker MLS footprint.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Truthfully I think MLS would just cannibalize the CFL in markets like Ottawa, Calgary, and Edmonton. I would rather have a strong CFL and the existing MLS footprint than a weaker CFL and a larger yet weaker MLS footprint.

I can't speak for the other two markets, but at least in Edmonton there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of cross-over between soccer and football fans. That being said, there simply aren't enough soccer fans or the corporate support in northern Alberta to back a MLS franchise. Not to mention a suitable venue.

Reactions: ColinM

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
No, there are no other Canadian cities. Hopefully the Canadian Premier League carves out a decent niche though and eventually attracts crowds in the 8 - 12,000 range 5 - 10 years down the road. It could be rough for some franchises to attract the 5,000 fans per game that is likely necessary for them to remain a break-even proposition the first few seasons. With the small salary cap and development of quality soccer players in Canada mediocre to put it mildly, the soccer is probably going to be ugly to watch.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Kind of a thought at r/MLS that the league if asked truthfully would probably like 1 less Canadian team for a more valuable American slot based on where the league stands now. Have heard it said by fans that Montreal doesnt really add to the league. Not my original thought.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
I thought Edmonton was a big Soccer Town? Lots of CONCACAF games with decent attendance at Commonwealth?
Soccer IMO is a Niche sport for The Prarries of Saskatchewan/Manitoba. Hockey is King CFL Football is the Queen..anything else is just background noise

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012

He decided to build his stadium in a crappy part of town, beside the Olympic Stadium. Apparently did not learn much from the Expos collapse in which the stadium location played a big part. Saputo reasoned it would be ok because there was a lot of Italians & Latinos living relatively close by (still not super close), plus all the cheap land and govt subsidies helped too, nevermind it is very inconvenient for everyone on the western half of greater Montreal. A Montreal soccer team would do much better downtown, at McGill University's stadium, whether MLS or CPL. Joey should just cash out on MLS at this point if he can get $150 million from some American city.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

They've dropped the media ball big time in the past few months, after a great start to the league last summer building up hype. No Kits, no Broadcast deal - nothing but signings.

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
Calgary's the largest remaining market and their current CPL 'solution' is to play out of a freaking show-jumping field on the edge of the city limits. I'm still deeply skeptical of the CPL's survivability beyond it's token value in gifting Canada a small fraction of a World Cup but MLS isn't interested in more Canadian markets and Canadian markets for their part don't seem interested in the infastructural investments needed to keep up with MLS standards.

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Calgary's the largest remaining market and their current CPL 'solution' is to play out of a freaking show-jumping field on the edge of the city limits. I'm still deeply skeptical of the CPL's survivability beyond it's token value in gifting Canada a small fraction of a World Cup but MLS isn't interested in more Canadian markets and Canadian markets for their part don't seem interested in the infastructural investments needed to keep up with MLS standards.

It's a process - This won't be a league on MLS' level overnight - probably ever.

But the CFL exists and is successful, especially on TV, so I have faith this league can be as well.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I would have suggested Edmonton. For all that I think the Eskimos are strong there and wouldn't be hurt by the MLS.

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Ideally, 20-30 years from now - There are no MLS teams in Canada - Only CPL teams in a 2.5-tier relegation league.

and while I'm dreaming, I'd like a pony, a million dollars, and a magical pegasus so I can ride off into the sunset wearing a giant top hat.

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
It's a process - This won't be a league on MLS' level overnight - probably ever.

But the CFL exists and is successful, especially on TV, so I have faith this league can be as well.

If we're dreaming about eventually wedging pro-rel in a country of this size and population with the three biggest markets already monopolising interest for a foreign league, I see it being a ridiculously greater logistical hurdle than what the CFL has to contend with for stability. Honestly it comes off as absurd to think about even in the medium term and by that point it might very well implode before having to consider long-term planning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad