OT: OT: Washington Redskins 2018 Season Vol. 4: Half and Half (7-7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
C3PD75XLOII6RC2HXUEXL7LBTE.jpg

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I thought AS would be better. They need to keep looking for the answer and now that contract looks pretty horrendous...

...on the other hand, they’re in first place and McCoy probably won’t do much worse.

#halffull

CapsDC

May 2, 2018
He may be overpaid but I wouldn't say it looks horrendous. Smith left alot to be desired so far but he's a solid starting NFL QB, those cost money. There's quite a few really bad QBs in the NFL right now. They do need to get the future in soon while he runs out the last few years of his contract though. McCoy will be a significant downgrade, despite how pedestrian Smith may have seemed.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
He may be overpaid but I wouldn't say it looks horrendous. Smith left alot to be desired so far but he's a solid starting NFL QB, those cost money. There's quite a few really bad QBs in the NFL right now. They do need to get the future in soon while he runs out the last few years of his contract though. McCoy will be a significant downgrade, despite how pedestrian Smith may have seemed.

Maybe. Maybe Not

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
That was ad gruesome and likely career-ending as Theisman’s. Feel terrible for Smith - put aside his performance as a QB (and there were some good things today, notwithstanding the pick 6, which may not have been all on him), he seems like a straight up guy who had the respect of his teammates

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Welp, time to start talking 1st round quarterbacks again. That was rough. Feel bad for Smith man, that's a nasty f***ing injury. At his age I'd expect he's probably going to strongly consider hanging them up. If he doesn't I suspect he's not ready for game 1 next year.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I read that AS has $55M guaranteed normally and that becomes $71M if he's injured and can't play anymore. Wonder how much counts against the cap and for how long...

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I just read the other day, that 2 QBs declared (Haskins and Patterson). All is well #crackingvoice

The late deep ball to Doctson was clearly pass interference. In fact, since he was grossly interfered with twice, it likely obscured the side judge's view. He got mugged by 25 long before the safety came over the top. I will say that the ball was late giving time for the safety to make it look like he was just playing the ball, but 25 had no such feeble defense.

Sep 19, 2008
I don't think it's as bad as it looks. The team is still 6-4 and the Eagles lost. The Eagles look pretty bad right now. I'm concerned about the Dallas game though. But remember, the Redskins have a pretty easy remaining sched.

Beat Dallas and that helps.

Also, the last 3 playoff runs have been with backup quarterbacks. In fact, the current SB champions made their run with a backup QB that no one expected anything out of; that everyone thought was washed up. If Colt can spark the team for a few he'll have done his job.

Be curious to see who the Redskins pick up off FA to take a QB spot. One name floated around yesterday was Mark Sanchez because he is familiar with some of the Redskins coaches. Wouldn't mind having him aboard, he already knows the coaching staff.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Yeah it was clearly pass interference. Refs didn't want to change the outcome of the game.

It's as if they put NHL refs in there.

That line of thinking is fine so long as they call it fairly both ways. To call that bullshit holding call on Norman and then not call this PI is egregious and should result in fines or some other reprimand for this officiating crew. This PI was way more blatant and had a much bigger impact on the play than the Normal call. Frustrating for sure because the Redskins deserved to win that game and the refs gave Houston two huge advantages in the final two minutes which likely changed the outcome of the game.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
That line of thinking is fine so long as they call it fairly both ways.

That sentence is said a lot in hockey circles and I've never understood it. Are you suggesting that the players should show up to each game wondering what the rules are, and where the line is on what is and is not a penalty?

That seems like a recipe for guaranteed inconsistent refereeing to me.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Well, it saves us from being McNabbed again. At Smith's age the bounce back from a down year isn't usually much of a bounce, if it happens at all.

McCoy isn't the answer, and long term a Bradford won't be either. Time to go back to the QB carousel until we can develop another legit QB that we botch and toss aside. It's the circle of life.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
I don't think it's as bad as it looks. The team is still 6-4 and the Eagles lost. The Eagles look pretty bad right now. I'm concerned about the Dallas game though. But remember, the Redskins have a pretty easy remaining sched.

Beat Dallas and that helps.

Also, the last 3 playoff runs have been with backup quarterbacks. In fact, the current SB champions made their run with a backup QB that no one expected anything out of; that everyone thought was washed up. If Colt can spark the team for a few he'll have done his job.

Be curious to see who the Redskins pick up off FA to take a QB spot. One name floated around yesterday was Mark Sanchez because he is familiar with some of the Redskins coaches. Wouldn't mind having him aboard, he already knows the coaching staff.

Oh, make no mistake, it is as bad as it looks. Patchwork O line, a RB that’s hot and cold, partly due to the former. QB situation, decimated/lackluster WR group, questionable at times DBs. What’s gotten this team to 6-4 at this point has been timely defensive play at key moments and brainfarts by opposing teams. E.g. Fitzpatrick inexplicably running laterally when he could have easily gone straight for a first down. That and kickers Ray Finkleing.

The O line will work itself out, the QB situation is pretty dire at this point. Making the PO only lowers draft position. I’m not aware of any QBs, worth anything, that would be available as FAs next summer. We saw what a trade costs. Gotta draft one.

Sanchez was talked about this am on the junkies, said his experience in Dallas could be beneficial, if for nothing else running the scout team.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I read that AS has $55M guaranteed normally and that becomes $71M if he's injured and can't play anymore. Wonder how much counts against the cap and for how long...

The cap hit for this year for Smith is 55 mil, next year its 42 mil and year 3 is 20 mil. He will be on the roster next season one way or the other.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

Josh Johnson is interesting. Played one year with Jon (2008) and one year with Jay (2013). He knows the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad