OT: OT: Washington Redskins 2018 Season Vol. 4: Half and Half (7-7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Not sure you fully grasp the meaning of "blackballed."

Not sure you are grasping the concept that if a player is of a certain quality he is basically not blackballable.

His mediocre at absolute best 59% completion percentage over his last few seasons is simply not worth all the off field BS. If he was a solid starting QB he would definitely have a job despite the BS. And while on talent alone he is worth a backup spot absolutely nobody wants to deal with the BS for their backup so...

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Not sure you are grasping the concept that if a player is of a certain quality he is basically not blackballable.

His mediocre at absolute best 59% completion percentage over his last few seasons is simply not worth all the off field BS. If he was a solid starting QB he would definitely have a job despite the BS. And while on talent alone he is worth a backup spot absolutely nobody wants to deal with the BS for their backup so...
So then you don't think he's blackballed. You just think he sucks. That's the definition of blackball is still good enough but not employed for political/idealogical reasons. So my original post is still accurate, though I wasn't talking to you anyway.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Not sure you fully grasp the meaning of "blackballed."

Oh I get it....I happen to believe he's reaping what he sowed.

His talent no longer outweighs his baggage. Has happened with much better athletes. If he was an elite level QB, he'd still have a job.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Oh I get it....I happen to believe he's reaping what he sowed.

His talent no longer outweighs his baggage. Has happened with much better athletes. If he was an elite level QB, he'd still have a job.
Again, if you think he'd have job, then you don't think he's been blackballed. Blackball assumes he'd otherwise be employed.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
So then you don't think he's blackballed. You just think he sucks. That's the definition of blackball is still good enough but not employed for political/idealogical reasons. So my original post is still accurate, though I wasn't talking to you anyway.

He doesn’t suck, he just isn’t good enough to want to deal with all the BS. So sure he’s been blackballed from a backup QB gig because nobody wants to deal with a whole bunch of off field BS for a backup QB. But if he was a solid starter they’d look past the BS and he’d be playing every Sunday. But he isn’t so...

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
He doesn’t suck, he just isn’t good enough to want to deal with all the BS. So sure he’s been blackballed from a backup QB gig because nobody wants to deal with a whole bunch of off field BS for a backup QB. But if he was a solid starter they’d look past the BS and he’d be playing every Sunday. But he isn’t so...
IMO, this view depends on believing that what he brings off the field is BS in the first place. But agree to disagree.

Reactions: twabby

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
There are very few QBs in the league that could be elite while being accurate cultural comparisons in part because none of them are black or part black other than Cam Newton and he's maybe top 10, not elite. So the elite talent disqualifier for blackballing doesn't apply. Just because he isn't blackball-proof doesn't mean he isn't blackballed.

What matters is whether or not teams are even giving him a chance, especially if other QBs of equal or lesser displayed ability are getting chances ahead of him.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think the last minute pass interference wasn't called just like they NEVER call pass interference on a hail mary... that was our hail mary. Since we can't throw it to the end zone I presume...

I still say Jay should have worked the refs hard after the Norman call, which would possibly buy a break other way later. Bah who am I kidding.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Again, if you think he'd have job, then you don't think he's been blackballed. Blackball assumes he'd otherwise be employed.

Maybe assuming is your issue . ;)

He’s not unemployable. He’d have a job today if he had Aaron Rodgers talent. He’s undesirable for sure. Blackballing doesn’t assume all are participating. Only takes one desperate team. Look at Vick. Lots of PR baggage, basically untouchable, but being a dynamic talent allowed him to regain his job. CK just wasn’t that good that people are willing to give him a chance yet.

Last edited:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Maybe assuming is your issue . ;)

He’s not unemployable. He’d have a job today if he had Aaron Rodgers talent. He’s undesirable for sure. Blackballing doesn’t assume all are participating. Only takes one desperate team. Look at Vick. Lots of PR baggage, basically untouchable, but being a dynamic talent allowed him to regain his job. CK just wasn’t that good that people are willing to give him a chance yet.
Disagree. But don't care to argue further.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Vick was a totally different situation. He offended animal lovers (like myself) went to jail and paid his dues then came back and redeemed himself. He still works at that even years later. Kaep's only chance at doing something similar would be to rebuke his own cause and kiss the league's ass and he's not doing that.

What about Ray Rice? Did he suck all of a sudden, or did leagues just decide they didn't want the bad publicity so nobody would hire him?

Reactions: calicapsfan

CapsDC

May 2, 2018
Guys have killed people drunk driving, and still been given 2nd chances in the NFL. No doubt Kaep would be playing still if he was a really good QB.

I don't really care who they sign as backup, Colt is our best option going forward(which is mildly depressing), and if they have to actually play the next man up the season isn't worth paying attention to anymore.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Vick was a totally different situation. He offended animal lovers (like myself) went to jail and paid his dues then came back and redeemed himself. He still works at that even years later. Kaep's only chance at doing something similar would be to rebuke his own cause and kiss the league's ass and he's not doing that.

What about Ray Rice? Did he suck all of a sudden, or did leagues just decide they didn't want the bad publicity so nobody would hire him?

He punched his wife unconscious....he deserved to lose his career. Might as well have been a lifetime ban.

His game had also been in decline for 2 seasons....sounds familiar.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
He punched his wife unconscious....he deserved to lose his career. Might as well have been a lifetime ban.

Not arguing that point. But this idea that talent is the X factor that overrides the team's distaste for bad press is the flawed idea I'm addressing by referencing him. He was reinstated by the courts and still no team would hire him even though he clearly didn't suck.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Rice’s game was in decline. Badly his last year. If he was a 1500 yard 20td guy. He would have played again.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
Joe and Alex were/are pretty much same age at time of injury. Joe never played again. And iirc wasn’t playing well that season to begin with, so that may have played a part. I could be totally wrong in that, and wouldn’t be surprised if i was. Just have to wait and see with Smith.

I agree with goon, Vick and Kaep are apples and oranges. Vick committed a crime and was legally punished. Kaep has not committed a crime. Maybe a crime of poor taste/judgement, but nothing more than that.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Guys have killed people drunk driving, and still been given 2nd chances in the NFL. No doubt Kaep would be playing still if he was a really good QB.

I don't really care who they sign as backup, Colt is our best option going forward(which is mildly depressing), and if they have to actually play the next man up the season isn't worth paying attention to anymore.

What guys? More than Stallworth? He went through all kinds of crap and copped a plea deal and was suspended for a season before getting a cup of coffee over the next 3 seasons with the Ravens, Skins, and Patriots.

Plus that was a dumb, irresponsible accident, not intentional assault or anything like Kaep's protest. Stallworth did not run over a guy on purpose to make a statement, nor did he defy the league like Kaep.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Joe and Alex were/are pretty much same age at time of injury. Joe never played again. And iirc wasn’t playing well that season to begin with, so that may have played a part. I could be totally wrong in that, and wouldn’t be surprised if i was. Just have to wait and see with Smith.

I agree with goon, Vick and Kaep are apples and oranges. Vick committed a crime and was legally punished. Kaep has not committed a crime. Maybe a crime of poor taste/judgement, but nothing more than that.

Makes my point for me. Vick committed a heinous crime murdering dogs for sport, yet his talent led him back to the NFL. CK protested in distasteful yet legal fashion and his talents are not enough to get him back in the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad