OT: OT Thread, Winter Edition(2nd Fall for Georgians)

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Still waiting…. January/February delivery. I Pay the September price though which is 10% less than current price.

feel like I got an Al Bundy deal…

How did I miss the Tesla conversation earlier? I was an early adopter, bought TSLA shares just after the IPO (helped me through some rough health patches, and paid for my wife's education for a career change), and still love their vehicles and the company.

It's a tough wait - I totally get that. Not sure if it helps, but I suspect I may have waited longer than most Tesla owners... (as far as I can tell from the Tesla forums). I had been following them for years, and I signed up and paid the deposit the moment they allowed Canadians to sign up (March 26, 2009), Signature edition Model S (Sig Reservation #1 in Canada). Due to living in Manitoba, I was one of the last Signature deliveries in Canada (I think one guy in Saskatchewan was after me, though he signed up significantly later than I did).

On the last leg of the journey, it was so cold that the transport truck broke down in N. Ontario, which delayed it a day or two, and then when it finally arrived on my driveway, January 17, 2013, the ramp on the truck didn't work so it was stuck on the upper deck until they fixed it. The car started without a hitch, though, and smoothly rolled into my garage. 3 years, 9 months, and I still say it was worth the wait. (But I was sure antsy to get it... they didn't have much experience with MB's local laws, had to navigate a lot of red tape - so you're welcome: they have it all sorted out now! I was a guinea pig.)

IMG_1665.JPG

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
How did I miss the Tesla conversation earlier? I was an early adopter, bought TSLA shares just after the IPO (helped me through some rough health patches, and paid for my wife's education for a career change), and still love their vehicles and the company.

It's a tough wait - I totally get that. Not sure if it helps, but I suspect I may have waited longer than most Tesla owners... (as far as I can tell from the Tesla forums). I had been following them for years, and I signed up and paid the deposit the moment they allowed Canadians to sign up (March 26, 2009), Signature edition Model S (Sig Reservation #1 in Canada). Due to living in Manitoba, I was one of the last Signature deliveries in Canada (I think one guy in Saskatchewan was after me, though he signed up significantly later than I did).

On the last leg of the journey, it was so cold that the transport truck broke down in N. Ontario, which delayed it a day or two, and then when it finally arrived on my driveway, January 17, 2013, the ramp on the truck didn't work so it was stuck on the upper deck until they fixed it. The car started without a hitch, though, and smoothly rolled into my garage. 3 years, 9 months, and I still say it was worth the wait. (But I was sure antsy to get it... they didn't have much experience with MB's local laws, had to navigate a lot of red tape - so you're welcome: they have it all sorted out now! I was a guinea pig.)

View attachment 478324

Watch out for the cat! I grew up on a farm with many cats. we always had to shake out the cats from under the car as it was warm there and cats would be sleeping. Many cats lost all their lives under that really hot running car.

Tesla should include this story in their promotional material. “Drive a Tesla you won’t run over cats sleeping under your hot gasoline engine” (or maybe a panthers game day thread)

That said cats might be electrocuted under the tesla

Last edited:
Reactions: FonRiesen and ps241

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

View attachment 478324

I am on day one and working on getting the charger installed in the Garage Friday. Tomorrow I get on the website and get registered and join the community.

I am that “hey boomer” capitalist annoying the shit out of my young hip progressive buddies calling them out for destroying the planet with their fossil fuel burning lifestyle. It’s really the cheeriest part of the Tesla experience. :laugh:

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
We just installed a NEMA 14-50 (ie Range plug) in our garage - super cheap, and plenty of juice to be full every morning (and the electricians/MB hydro don't freak out). Though I don't know if the Model 3's come with that adapter?

@DeepFrickinValue - Our cats have done fine for the last 8 years - but I don't let them in my garage either. And since there isn't a hot engine, they're not tempted to do anything stupid!

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Are we pretending Manitoba has the power generation capabilities to power a crap load of electric vehicles, here’s some news, it doesn’t!

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I am on day one and working on getting the charger installed in the Garage Friday. Tomorrow I get on the website and get registered and join the community.

I am that “hey boomer” capitalist annoying the shit out of my young hip progressive buddies calling them out for destroying the planet with their fossil fuel burning lifestyle. It’s really the cheeriest part of the Tesla experience. :laugh:
You probably don’t want to get me started on the fossil fuel argument cuz first thing I’m going to ask is what powered the transportation of your electric car to the market you’re in. Then I’ll probably jump on cobalt mining in Africa. Might even start in on how you’re helping the government along to increasing taxes on hydroelectric power to offset the loss in infrastructure taxes from lost fuel revenue. And you just know they’ll absolutely discern between the power for your car and your home’s general consumption, right?

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
You probably don’t want to get me started on the fossil fuel argument cuz first thing I’m going to ask is what powered the transportation of your electric car to the market you’re in. Then I’ll probably jump on cobalt mining in Africa. Might even start in on how you’re helping the government along to increasing taxes on hydroelectric power to offset the loss in infrastructure taxes from lost fuel revenue. And you just know they’ll absolutely discern between the power for your car and your home’s general consumption, right?
Honestly, even if there wasn't any net gain environmentally*, I'd still drive electric (oh, and I had solar panels on my roof in my previous house - it was nice driving on sunshine).

For me, the best part about EV's is the smooth acceleration, the great handling and traction (lower centre of gravity), the one-pedal driving (regen is great when you get used to it), having instant torque when I even think about pushing the accelerator, being full every morning (no trips to the smelly gas station), no toxic fumes in my garage (and I don't create exhaust clouds at intersections in winter, though I still put up with everyone else's), I have lots of power where I need it most (the 0-140 kph range, where most people do 100% of their daily driving), the safety (gas cars are constantly catching on fire, far more than electrics, and Tesla is at the top of the charts in protection from accidents), the quiet (since my Lyme journey I've been more sensitive to auditory garbage), and best of all with a Tesla, not dealing with dealerships. They've treated me very well whenever I've had issues, and never tried to upsell me anything.

If you want to play the "consider all the factors game", think about how dumb it is to burn fuel to transport oil to the refinery, then burn more to transport gas to the gas station, and then the consumer has to burn extra fuel to drive to the gas station... Constantly, instead of a one-time cost - etc etc; there are always going to be losses, it's about making incremental improvements.

Charging happens overnight, when the demand on the grid is lower. Our hydro stability and amount is fine - we sell a LOT to the USA (and they pay much lower rates than we do... It's pretty dumb, but MBH sucks at international negotiation, apparently). And taxes happen no matter what. I don't think that EV's should be subsidized, but until they stop the billions of subsidies and tax breaks for Big Oil, it's fair to do both. I'd prefer that neither gets a break - then you'd see FAR higher gas prices and complain some more.

But if we're talking pure environmentalism, the best method of transportation is BY FAR bicycling. It's more efficient than anything in the animal kingdom or any other human tech, though it looks like solar flight might someday take over the efficiency crown once it's developed to a practical state. Fat bikes are even usable in winter, but Winnipeg isn't a very bike-friendly city compared to most of the world, and out in rural parts we have some pretty massive wind to contend with most of the year. I wish I could bike everywhere, but it hasn't proven to be convenient enough. I respect those that bike year-round.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Will comment fully when not on tablet…

FTR I drive a 2018 Maxima with 16500 km on it. Little mileage on it largely because I commute by bike from when ice is off road (April) to when it comes back (November). What mileage I have is largely for golf games out of town. Winnipeg isn’t great for cycle commuting in winter but it’s fine for summer as long as you recognize your route may not be identical to your car’s route.
I expect I’ll be at 20k km by my third anniversary on the maxima. Investment in EV wouldn’t pay a return for me.

very curious about their winter performance though.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

thank god my hipster buddies aren’t as smart as you buggs their misplaced guilt is killing them. I am only taking the piss anyways. I am not the moral high ground type……..that ship has sailed for me along time ago.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Ordered a Tesla today (living in Vancouver so a bit warmer here.).

The savings on gas and maintenance alone really make it worth it. Hoping this is the last car I ever buy.

Keep us updated on things. Battery stuff and what not and issues you have. I’m really curious. Think only Lincoln has had more customer complaints in recent years but this is the way of the future either way.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Getting ready to host a hockey parent party tonight. We have done this every season except last of course so this is the 6th or 7th addition.

My kid has this season and next in U15’s and I think that’s the end of the road. I hear the fall off is huge after that with kids heading to high school hockey etc. Missing that season for Covid was unfortunate.

Watching my kid play hockey has been a blast.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Getting ready to host a hockey parent party tonight. We have done this every season except last of course so this is the 6th or 7th addition.

My kid has this season and next in U15’s and I think that’s the end of the road. I hear the fall off is huge after that with kids heading to high school hockey etc. Missing that season for Covid was unfortunate.

Watching my kid play hockey has been a blast.

I trust you will be scanning everyone's vaccination card at the door.

Reactions: Derfel

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I trust you will be scanning everyone's vaccination card at the door.

Parents have to prove their status to attend practices etc in public rinks. We have a parent volunteer on this. They do need to be double vaxxed to attend tonight as per the current regulations so yup we’re drinking heavily by the rules :laugh:!!

Onward

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad