OT Thread Part IIX: The How Do Roman Numerals Work? Edition

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Good job on the MBA. I'm sure I'll be going back within the year, but I agree with most of what you wrote. Major problem for me was I had no focus in mind and hadn't chosen a major (well, I had, but I started as an English major because... I just love to read and write) and simply just didn't want to be there. I wanted to be playing college hockey and socializing, but I didn't want to be a student. And it turned out being an English major wasn't about reading and writing; it was about tediously picking apart and analyzing everything which you were assigned and COULD have enjoyed, but instead were forced to write numbingly dry analysis of. Even more ironic than the prospect of me going back to school is the fact that I'll probably take some education classes and take steps to get certified as a teacher because... one of the only things I can see myself doing is becoming a teacher and striving to make my class the complete opposite of everything I hated as a student. Here and there throughout my academic career, just as you described, I ended up in classes that were truly enjoyable. The potential for education to be engaging and enjoyable exists but the approach is usually terribly disengaging. Part of the reason I'd like to teach is to keep kids like myself from becoming so disengaged and giving them a reason to continue to do well in school rather than allowing themselves to lose interest and coast until they are just a middle of the pack student with a substandard academic resume.

I would have never been able to juggle playing a college sport with school. That's an achievement within itself. Have the utmost respect for teachers, my Mom is one, and truly busts her butt for not much money. There are only a certain group of people that have that in them, and good for you if you want to teach. I wouldn't have the patience to deal with students because I know what an ass I was when I was a kid.

*Bob Richards*

Is it wrong to diagnose yourself? I'm looking very deeply into this and its starting to creep me out.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Is it wrong to diagnose yourself? I'm looking very deeply into this and its starting to creep me out.

Depends on what you're diagnosing. I've gone down both the medical road and the psychiatric road and neither one gives you the benefit of the doubt but sometimes you come out with enough substance in the research to change a thing or two.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Diagnose yourself as much as you want but you'll only have suspicions, never confirmation (though sometimes even what the docs confirm turns out to be little better than an educated guess, albeit more educated than the ones we make when self diagnosing). I've tried researching and self diagnosing many times in the past and found that, as strong as your suspicion may be and even though it likely seems to grow in conviction the more you read, read enough and you're just as likely to stumble upon another diagnosis which seems even more likely. In other words, the odds of you bring right are slim. The possibility of accurately self-diagnosing is very real and, I imagine, depending on the ailment you're attempting to diagnose, varies case to case but, I wouldn't count on getting it right. Regardless, it can be beneficial as, unless you try to self medicate, some of the advice you can come across for minimizing your symptoms can, at best be helpful even if your diagnosis is inaccurate and, at worst be harmless but also pointless.

*Bob Richards*

I know a lot of times people will sub-consciously "stretch" the truth in order to associate themselves with whatever they are diagnosing but I honestly feel pretty damn spooked by how strongly I'm feeling all of the symptoms of this that I've researched. I've mentioned this very same things to people long before I had any suspicions.

I think I'm going to confront my parents about this tomorrow. I actually feel pretty concerned.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I know a lot of times people will sub-consciously "stretch" the truth in order to associate themselves with whatever they are diagnosing but I honestly feel pretty damn spooked by how strongly I'm feeling all of the symptoms of this that I've researched. I've mentioned this very same things to people long before I had any suspicions.

I think I'm going to confront my parents about this tomorrow. I actually feel pretty concerned.

I think I've found the diagnosis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypochondriasis.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011

I wouldn't think Bob is a hypochondriac.
What it is in my professional opinion however, is an issue of co-morbidity.

There are a handful of diagnosis for a specific set of characteristics and it's easy to diagnose that set of characteristics as condition A as opposed to condition B because they share many similar characteristics. If this goes back to what we were talking about yesterday or the day before Bob, then I did the exact same research myself and all I can say is that in this case, the parts of the whole deserves attention just as much as the sum of the parts.

Once you stick with one diagnosis or label, it sets you up for a trajectory of thinking about your problem and characteristics under that light and if it's incorrect in some respect (either due to the lack of professional knowledge and experience or a diagnosis that is close but not entirely correct), it can become more confusing at times than it is elucidating.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
TIL college and university experiences are very different in the two countries. Super Duper Muper different. Much easier up here.

Well, they make you play the lottery here.

Spend thousands upon thousands of dollars for the small chance of being successful

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
I'll probably take some education classes and take steps to get certified as a teacher because... one of the only things I can see myself doing is becoming a teacher and striving to make my class the complete opposite of everything I hated as a student. Here and there throughout my academic career, just as you described, I ended up in classes that were truly enjoyable. The potential for education to be engaging and enjoyable exists but the approach is usually terribly disengaging. Part of the reason I'd like to teach is to keep kids like myself from becoming so disengaged and giving them a reason to continue to do well in school rather than allowing themselves to lose interest and coast until they are just a middle of the pack student with a substandard academic resume.

Been at it ten years.

Questions, concerns, or anything related (What can I expect during my first year?) you know where to find me.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
After this goal my roommate thought I was having a heart attack the way I was jumping around and screaming. He came upstairs to make sure I was still alive/not dying :laugh:

I was jumping around enough to cause me to go into at least a ten minute smokers' cough hysteria. I don't think I had ever been so happy watching sports in my life.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
I was at the game. Video of the garden after that goal on my phone.

I went to game 1 vs. the Senators and game 2 vs. the Caps. It was crazy for those two games, can't imagine what it was like after Richards' and Staal's goals.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
I was at that game too. Section 101. Richards scored on the other side of the rink. It's impossible to describe the craziness at the Garden when Richards scored that. I bought he roof would literally come off. You'll hug random strangers. Then Staal scored that winner (on my side) and it was basically RichardsX2. I miss the thrill of going to the games.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
I've watched that goal and staalsy's goal about 40 times, no less and each and every time it just makes me question how we could have lost this past year. That passion and soul. It's not even right.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
IIX = no such thing

I (one = 1)
II (two ones = 2)
III (three ones = 3)
IV (one taken from five = 4)
V (five = 5)
VI (five and one = 6)
VII (five and two ones = 7)
VIII (five and three ones = 8)
IX (one taken from ten = 9)
X (ten = 10)

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Good to see ya Silver

Yeah, I've kind of fell off the OT thread bandwagon towards the end of the last thread. Been venturing into the NBA/NFL threads more. I'll pick and choose my topics here from now on. Do sort of a Silent Bob thing where when I do choose to post, people better listen :p:

Although I'm probably just saying that and I'll be back to posting all day as I used too :laugh:

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
IIX = no such thing

I (one = 1)
II (two ones = 2)
III (three ones = 3)
IV (one taken from five = 4)
V (five = 5)
VI (five and one = 6)
VII (five and two ones = 7)