OT state of the board

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yes, we did.

We lost two games in a row, people complained. In 2009, people wanted everybody traded because we were 10th at some point. Message boards are message boards... it is just that you grow out of it and get annoyed by the toxicity at some point.

There is less analysis today than there was back in the day, but it is mostly because, well, it is 2022 and content tends to be short everywhere.

Same thing as the NAS, Ottawa and CAPs series in 2017 around here.

HFBoards is a flat circle.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yes, we did.

We lost two games in a row, people complained. In 2009, people wanted everybody traded because we were 10th at some point. Message boards are message boards... it is just that you grow out of it and get annoyed by the toxicity at some point.

There is less analysis today than there was back in the day, but it is mostly because, well, it is 2022 and content tends to be short everywhere.

Exactly.

I'm sorry... I want to understand but I find this topic as misguided now as it always is. It's all rooted in nostalgia... I get it. I feel it, too. And hell if we want to talk about the state of rational discourse in general... particularly over the internet... then I'm all ears because that's valid. But nah... it isn't "this place." That's the easy way out.

And for the record I pass zero judgement on anyone who wants to like... live their lives without scrolling though pages of debates over ZAR today or Adams yesterday. Life, man. Ya know? If anything I'm the fool.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
So... at the risk of coming off kinda shitty... I am to believe that people didn't complain about stuff nonstop 10ish years ago or whatever?

We didn't have "shtick" posters, then?

Oh no, we did. I've read my share of Whitney is soft takes, but at least I didn't have to read it 5 times on the same thread page.

I think some stricter posting limitations could help. Something as minor as waiting 5 minutes between posts. I just don't want to see 3 posts by the same user in a row. Thats not typically a thought out post, thats just typing the first thing that comes to mind.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
So... at the risk of coming off kinda shitty... I am to believe that people didn't complain about stuff nonstop 10ish years ago or whatever?

We didn't have "shtick" posters, then?

Just so you know, Willy.... I am the BEST HF Poster in the world. I've been the best HF poster since day 1. I'm a @Big McLargehuge guy. I've been vilified and hated since that day because they saw something in me that nobody else wanted to admit. So no... nobody here has a shtick. I'm just THE best on this planet, in this forum, and even on commentary dammit!

(Obvious sarcasm riff on CM Punk's pipe bomb promo)

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Last June I took a break from here only to check out the Pens reddit page. Damn that place is boring.

It's a wasteland of automatons, yes. This place has personality and frankly a lot of it is because we don't all just lock-step agree.

Oh no, we did. I've read my share of Whitney is soft takes, but at least I didn't have to read it 5 times on the same thread page.

I think some stricter posting limitations could help. Something as minor as waiting 5 minutes between posts. I just don't want to see 3 posts by the same user in a row. Thats not typically a thought out post, thats just typing the first thing that comes to mind.

I mean I definitely agree that's aggravating as hell. But new? No. People have been brigading threads since the dawn of HF.

Just so you know, Willy.... I am the BEST HF Poster in the world. I've been the best HF poster since day 1. I'm a @Big McLargehuge guy. I've been vilified and hated since that day because they saw something in me that nobody else wanted to admit. So no... nobody here has a shtick. I'm just THE best on this planet, in this forum, and even on commentary dammit!

(Obvious sarcasm riff on CM Punk's pipe bomb promo)

lol... even I got that reference!

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Meh.

I miss the past because I was younger and now I am closer to dying than before

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Each to their own but I feel like this place has got significantly worse in the last three four years. A lot of good posters have gone quiet, there was less repetitive takes, and I think the number of posts which have difficulty treating the team like human beings have gone up (albeit still not that many). And I think given this is the second time this topic's come up in the last fortnight, and I think I see it about once every month or so this last year, it's not just me.

And maybe complaining about complaining accomplishes little, but then so does team positivity, so why not?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Each to their own but I feel like this place has got significantly worse in the last three four years. A lot of good posters have gone quiet, there was less repetitive takes, and I think the number of posts which have difficulty treating the team like human beings have gone up (albeit still not that many). And I think given this is the second time this topic's come up in the last fortnight, and I think I see it about once every month or so this last year, it's not just me.

And maybe complaining about complaining accomplishes little, but then so does team positivity, so why not?

There are less people in general. And this team is a dying "brand" in most ways with the imminent expiration of the core and lots of recent playoff faceplants. If you look around league-wide... nobody is really talking about the Penguins. Is what it is. Combine that with... challenging... recent times and shifts in life priorities and to me it's just no surprise. There is simply more room for shit behavior without a large volume of quality takes to drown out that noise.

So yeah. That's the part I can see from OP's POV and yours, evidently. But I guess I just sorta... expected it?

I guess my main takeaway is nostalgia is a hell of a drug but above all else go live your life and maintain a healthy balance. And with that firmly in mind I'm pouring myself a pregame drink.

Last edited:

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

I have only been here since August 2018 and lurked for a few months before that. I agree.

Reactions: Peat

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
There are less people in general. And this team is a dying "brand" in most ways with the imminent expiration of the core and lots of recent playoff faceplants. If you look around league-wide... nobody is really talking about the Penguins. Is what it is. Combine that with... challenging... recent times and shifts in life priorities and to me it's just no surprise. There is simply more room for shit behavior without a large volume of quality takes to drown out that noise.

So yeah. That's the part I can see from OP's POV and yours, evidently. But I guess I just sorta... expected it?

I guess my main takeaway is nostalgia is a hell of a drug but above all else go live your life and maintain a healthy balance. And with that firmly in mind I'm pouring myself a pregame drink.

I think you nailed it. This team is on the outs comparatively speaking. Any enterprise or fandom in this part of the cycle will suffer greatly.

Plus the last two years teased us with operatic highs. Late 2019 we looked like a cup winner before steadily imploding pre-Covid. Then they continued to suck in the play-in. That weighs on a fanbase's collective psyche

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I've been here forever. Off and on. I'm sorry to say that it really has always been this way, more or less.

Not trying to pick on anyone, here. But I think far too many look at what is a tiny group of individuals that are loud and always present and interpret that as "everyone bad/mean."

If it's so terrible then work to improve it. There is a segment of the fanbase that has been perhaps a bit spoiled by all the riches, granted. But complaining about complaining never solved anything.
You find that in any group or fanbase, a very small minority sets the stereotype for the perspective of all of them… nobody remembers the 30 positive posts, just the two negative profane ones… at least here there is an ignore function for the extreme ones though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad