OT state of the board

SteelCitySaviour

Nov 12, 2005
Pittsburgh PA
So I have been member of these boards since before MA Fleury was drafted, but I seldom ever post, only lurk. I have been reading almost daily for nearly 20 years for the discourse, the insights on prospects (there used to be articles lol), to check out trade rumors, etc.

I logged in today because for the past few months I have been increasingly disturbed by the behavior of the posters. The constant negativity, the juvenile name calling of the gm, the bickering between people in every thread is embarrassing.

I'm nobody on these boards, and I could not care less how this post is received. The fact is that this sub in particular used to be full of insightful posters who could disagree and yet not be constantly petulant towards the team and each other. You can't get through a single page of any thread relating to the team without an argument about how Sullivan has ruined this team and the gm is garbage, and it makes me realized that many of you have not gone through Rico Fata headlining the team, or Jagr being counted on the single handily drag the team into the playoffs with no hope of beating the devils or flyers. And if you have, you've forgotten how to constructively speak to other people.

This place has become shameful, and I hope it changes before Sid and Geno hang them up for good.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I've been here forever. Off and on. I'm sorry to say that it really has always been this way, more or less.

Not trying to pick on anyone, here. But I think far too many look at what is a tiny group of individuals that are loud and always present and interpret that as "everyone bad/mean."

If it's so terrible then work to improve it. There is a segment of the fanbase that has been perhaps a bit spoiled by all the riches, granted. But complaining about complaining never solved anything.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I've been around forever too. The mods here really do a great job of taking out the trash, but it's impossible for them to do that immediately. My solution to the nonsense is liberal use of the ignore list feature. Once every 6 or 12 months I'll unignore everyone, but usually half of the names on my list have ended banned before I unignore them.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If it's so terrible then work to improve it. There is a segment of the fanbase that has been perhaps a bit spoiled by all the riches, granted. But complaining about complaining never solved anything.

Tried that, didn't work. Just a matter of choosing how to deal with this forum's reality, which is mostly reasonable people who do like a good bit of sarcasm and occasional venting, and the small number of really loud people who keep saying the same things and distort everything.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Tried that, didn't work. Just a matter of choosing how to deal with this forum's reality, which is mostly reasonable people who do like a good bit of sarcasm and occasional venting, and the small number of really loud people who keep saying the same things and distort everything.

Fair enough. This place has always been QUITE sarcastic. Everyone wants to wear the Dark Times as a badge of honor but it will instill a healthy amount of gallows humor, too.

I understand people don't get that. Like I have said continuously for many years not every fan has to wave the pom poms to be a "good fan." The Eeyore types who can't bring themselves to be all oohrah about everything but still watch every game and love the team very much exist. Though clearly there are toxic people just looking to poke a bee's nest and run off laughing, too.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Personally, I just throw guys on ignore who have one schtick and they do nothing outside of posting that. If you're known as someone who has one talking point and just belabors it, I guarantee you're on my ignore list at this point. What that talking point is (anti-Sullivan, anti-Malkin, pro-Fleury, anti-ZAR, whatever) doesn't matter. If I can understand your opinions with your first post and you do nothing but continue to make that first post, that's when I use the ignore list.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Personally, I just throw guys on ignore who have one schtick and they do nothing outside of posting that. If you're known as someone who has one talking point and just belabors it, I guarantee you're on my ignore list at this point. What that talking point is (anti-Sullivan, anti-Malkin, pro-Fleury, anti-ZAR, whatever) doesn't matter. If I can understand your opinions with your first post and you do nothing but continue to make that first post, that's when I use the ignore list.
Pretty much this. If you encounter posters that you can’t at least go to a we have to agree to disagree place when you have a disputed discussion. Just mute them. It’s not worth the time.

Mute the trolls or people who only want to hear their opinions validated. Have fun or engaging conversations with the rest even if you disagree.

I do agree with OP that is has gotten worse around here. I’ve been here for quite awhile and it has gotten worse. But that just means I’ve used the ignore button more. :laugh:

Reactions: Empoleon8771

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
So I have been member of these boards since before MA Fleury was drafted, but I seldom ever post, only lurk. I have been reading almost daily for nearly 20 years for the discourse, the insights on prospects (there used to be articles lol), to check out trade rumors, etc.

I logged in today because for the past few months I have been increasingly disturbed by the behavior of the posters. The constant negativity, the juvenile name calling of the gm, the bickering between people in every thread is embarrassing.

I'm nobody on these boards, and I could not care less how this post is received. The fact is that this sub in particular used to be full of insightful posters who could disagree and yet not be constantly petulant towards the team and each other. You can't get through a single page of any thread relating to the team without an argument about how Sullivan has ruined this team and the gm is garbage, and it makes me realized that many of you have not gone through Rico Fata headlining the team, or Jagr being counted on the single handily drag the team into the playoffs with no hope of beating the devils or flyers. And if you have, you've forgotten how to constructively speak to other people.

This place has become shameful, and I hope it changes before Sid and Geno hang them up for good.

You ARE somebody on this board. Everyone has a voice.

I would encourage you to be more active and be part of our positivity gang. :) Let's be the change we want to see and bring what we want to these boards. It takes a community of posters to make this great. Do not let the minority of negative posters speak for the fan base.

Be like UM who does GDTs. Be like @Zirakzigil who became a mod. Be like @Randy Butternubs who provides the jokes. Be like @HandshakeLine who provides the booze. @Ogrezilla is positive.

Stick around and let's put our money where our mouth is!

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

I would encourage you to be more active and be part of our positivity gang. :) Let's be the change we want to see and bring what we want to these boards. It takes a community of posters to make this great. Do not let the minority of negative posters speak for the fan base.

Be like UM who does GDTs. Be like @Zirakzigil who became a mod. Be like @Randy Butternubs who provides the jokes. Be like @HandshakeLine who provides the booze. @Ogrezilla is positive.

But I'm not trying to make jokes. :(

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'll stop posting if someone Venmos me a 100 bucks.

Why are you settling for such a low number? Think big, man.

But for real I get where OP is coming from but has it really gotten so bad? REALLY?

Perhaps we're just looking back into times that no longer exist. People move on and change. Times change. Priorities change. The team changes. Look around at the world and the state of discourse in general and tell me with a straight face that it's just THIS place. Where is there a better place to talk hockey? I'll wait.

I feel like I've gotten WAY to introspective on this. Thanks a pantload, Chet.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Why are you settling for such a low number? Think big, man.

But for real I get where OP is coming from but has it really gotten so bad? REALLY?

Perhaps we're just looking back into times that no longer exist. People move on and change. Times change. Priorities change. The team changes. Look around at the world and the state of discourse and tell me with a straight face that it's just THIS place.

I feel like I've gotten WAY to introspective on this. Thanks a pantload, Chet.

I think the reality is the Pittsburgh Penguins fans that were here in 08 and 09 that remembered when the team sucked are older and just don't care anymore.

The other reality is the fans that grew up with Crosby and Malkin have no comprehension of what a normal NHL team looks like.

Then you have the posters that we always had who lie about being part of the organization or having the inside track. They've always been here.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

Essentially, this.

It is the internet, most content will be people venting about subjects they do not master. I tend to ignore that.

Many great people on the board and we moderate in a way to let people build relationships through mild humor.

I have mostly been an "absentee" dad lately, but meh. ;)

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh

Yeah, semi-lurkers need to pull up a chair and post more. This ain't the Algonquin round table here. Although I do my best Dorothy Parker.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think the reality is the Pittsburgh Penguins fans that were here in 08 and 09 that remembered when the team sucked are older and just don't care anymore.

The other reality is the fans that grew up with Crosby and Malkin have no comprehension of what a normal NHL team looks like.

Then you have the posters that we always had who lie about being part of the organization or having the inside track. They've always been here.

Pretty much.

Maybe I come off like I don't care but I appreciate this place. I think everyone here barring a very small few are terrific and know the sport better than most of the writers whose job it is to cover this team. Even if I disagree with some consistently and even sometimes vehemently... I like to hear what they have to say. I've flat out changed what I thought were pretty established opinions I had on some things based on conversations I've had on this board. That's pretty cool, right?

Maybe I just have thick skin? I dunno. But I feel like this topic is more like... I miss the old days in general. Not "this board has gone down the shitter."

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Pretty much.

Maybe I come off like I don't care but I appreciate this place. I think everyone here barring a very small few are terrific and know the sport better than most of the writers whose job it is to cover this team. Even if I disagree with some consistently and even sometimes vehemently... I like to hear what they have to say. I've flat out changed what I thought were pretty established opinions I had on some things based on what conversations I've had on this board. That's pretty cool, right?

Maybe I just have thick skin? I dunno. But I feel like this topic is more like... I miss the old days in general. Not "this board has gone down the shitter."

It's kind of hard to root for the best team in the last 15 years in the NHL and still give a shit about a 4th liner.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I’ve been here since 2005 and post pretty regularly. Put in to be a mod several years ago and got passed up for people that were here for a hot minute, so never wasted the time again.

I play nice, though. It’s not all bad here, but there are several posters I just keep scrolling when their comments pop up. It can get taxing and the only thread that does a good job of handling it is the pirates thread.

Reactions: ColePens

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
The boards aren’t what they used to be that’s for sure, joined in the winter of 2009. Rarely ever post anymore and when I do hop in a thread after reading a couple posts I’m out bc of how vile some of the posts are. Some fans will never be pleased.

The whole “sleepy” shit is annoying as f***.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
So... at the risk of coming off kinda shitty... I am to believe that people didn't complain about stuff nonstop 10ish years ago or whatever?

We didn't have "shtick" posters, then?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I wasn't here 10 years ago but I almost guarantee you there was an anti-Fleury coalition in 2009.

My brother... there has been an "anti-everything-you-can-think-of" coalition going back to when I was a teenager posting on the old Official Board. If anything the more popular the team got the more jumped on.

I've been here since 09. So.

And me since 04 (team drafted Malkin and I came here to research). So...

Reactions: Gurglesons

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
So... at the risk of coming off kinda shitty... I am to believe that people didn't complain about stuff nonstop 10ish years ago or whatever?

We didn't have "shtick" posters, then?

Yes, we did.

We lost two games in a row, people complained. In 2009, people wanted everybody traded because we were 10th at some point. Message boards are message boards... it is just that you grow out of it and get annoyed by the toxicity at some point.

There is less analysis today than there was back in the day, but it is mostly because, well, it is 2022 and content tends to be short everywhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad