OT: Skate sharpening in Ottawa

Redden Punches Faces*

I'm sure you can get your skates sharpened at the UofO sports complex.

MuffinMan*

Problem is there's none of those in Sandy Hill that I know of, hence why I'm asking. :)

Do you know if the Home Hardware in the Market does it?

I'd call the store. I'm sure they'd be more helpful than this board.

Pancakes Pancakes

Aug 3, 2005
Tank Nation
There's a figure 8 boutique at the U of O sports complex.

Now...you are asking where to sharpen, but do you want it done properly? That's a whole other issue. I lived downtown and there's not a place that sharpens well in the downtown core. If you can drive to other areas I have plenty of good recommendations.

MuffinMan*

I feel slighted. :(

I'm sorry, I know that was the least helpful thing I could have said.
I'll try again....
The phone number is 233-5601 for the home hardware in the market :)

Seriously though, I think the sandy hill rink or ottawa u sports complex both do it.

Legend Killer

Nov 15, 2007
The best skate sharpenings Ive gotten have been from the guy at Minto Arena...he takes his time and does a really good job

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
all I know is that most places don't do it correctly. I swear that sometimes my skates feel more dull after a sharpening...

DuckedUpOnQuack

Aug 2, 2005
Ottawa
The UofO skate sharpening is mediocre at best. I had it done there a few weeks ago and the next game I played I was losing my edge fairly consistently. Didn't stay sharp for long either.

emo

Aug 25, 2003
Cap City
Visit site
The best skate sharpenings Ive gotten have been from the guy at Minto Arena...he takes his time and does a really good job

I agree 100 per cent. He's the best. I bought my last pair of skates at valiquette and figured I'd get them sharpened while I was there. It was the worst cut I've ever had. I could hardly stay on my feet. I was playing at Minto so I took them straight to him and he used his measuring device. He looked at me and asked if I had just tried playing on them. I said, "yes." He replied, "How did you stand up." "I didn't," I said. He fixed them and it was like night and day. I haven't played at Minto in a year, which was not coincidentally my last sharpening. I badly need it done, but haven't had the chance to drive out there.

The point of my rambling is that you should go to Minto.

Pancakes Pancakes

Aug 3, 2005
Tank Nation
I play at the Minto too...the guy is one of the best, but very unreliable when it comes to actually being there at the hours he has posted!
There's a couple places in Barrhaven that are very good too. Overtime Sports Repair and Mega City Promotions on Greenbank Rd. in Barrhaven. The guys used to own a Houle sports and he does an excellent job.

spare parts

Feb 18, 2009
Looking for the best place in the West End during the summer period.

My regular shop closes during the summer.

Thanks

spare parts

Feb 18, 2009
Skate sharpening in Ottawa

I guess there's nobody watching.

Well, my regular shop is the skate shop at the Dulude Arena in Carlington park.

The guy is consistent, by himself and has nobody to blame.

He has built the business on word of mouth and has become a menace to the local guy, Valiquette sports.

Anyway, he closes at the end of March because the city closes the rink.

I have tried figure 8, Westboro sports and a few others at the rinks I play in the summer and I can't get the kind of consistency I get from this guy.

So aside from having to drive to Kanata and visit Woody at Play-it-again-Sports, were could I go to get my blades done.

Thanks,

J

CheeseSandwich*

Some of the old rinks I play at have these coke machines that you can put your skates into and it will sharpen them for you. I usually just use these. Seems to work fine.

Mind you I'm no Glenn Frey.

spare parts

Feb 18, 2009
Megacity Promotions in Barrhaven uses this guy's Maximum Edge technique...

Thanks,

I have met him and he is next to where I play in then summer.

Have used him already and I am somewhat happy. However, the consistency is not quite there. Looking forward to next September.

I have also tried Blades and Things on the corner of Slack and Merivale and he seems to be more consistent.

SP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad