OT NBA Phoenix Suns owner threatens to move team to Las Vegas or Seattle (if he doesn't get deal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Is the Phoenix Suns arena deal worse than other cities' deals? You decide

To quote:

"The Phoenix Suns aren't alone in their quest for a modern arena.

At least 14 professional basketball teams and cities hoping to lure the NBA have gone on building sprees in the past five years to complete new arenas or major renovations.

Taxpayers from Detroit to Atlanta to Salt Lake City fronted large amounts of the construction costs in seven of the recent projects The Republic analyzed, while teams and investors chipped in the rest.

In seven other cases, taxpayers are on the hook for almost none of the expenses, despite estimates topping $1 billion each for facilities the Golden State Warriors and the Los Angeles Clippers plan to build."

Source: www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix/2018/12/13/phoenix-suns-arena-deal-worse-than-other-cities-deals-cost-taxes-stadium-arizona-diamondbacks/2301308002/

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Is the Phoenix Suns arena deal worse than other cities' deals? You decide

To quote:

"The Phoenix Suns aren't alone in their quest for a modern arena.

At least 14 professional basketball teams and cities hoping to lure the NBA have gone on building sprees in the past five years to complete new arenas or major renovations.

Taxpayers from Detroit to Atlanta to Salt Lake City fronted large amounts of the construction costs in seven of the recent projects The Republic analyzed, while teams and investors chipped in the rest.

In seven other cases, taxpayers are on the hook for almost none of the expenses, despite estimates topping $1 billion each for facilities the Golden State Warriors and the Los Angeles Clippers plan to build."

Source: www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix/2018/12/13/phoenix-suns-arena-deal-worse-than-other-cities-deals-cost-taxes-stadium-arizona-diamondbacks/2301308002/

Please excuse me for the hijack here, but it's the old "how much are you really willing to pay to be in market X" argument. I couldn't help but view the linked article through that lens.

In the zero (or 1%) category are major markets + a top 5 INCOME market in Seattle + a very different bird in Las Vegas that, frankly, can act like a suburb of Los Angeles on one hand and, on the other, most certainly view public investments (based on the number of arenas already built on and off The Strip) in a different light than any other market.

In the "more public funding" sphere are smaller markets... thing being that with Minneapolis, Atlanta, and Phoenix, you have serious "on the cusp" markets. It's also funny that another on-the-cusp market in Miami has two major arenas like Minnesota and Phoenix.

Which, going back to Phoenix, I understand how prickly the political issues are going to get. It's a market with huge growth right at the point of rising a tier, but in a sports realm is limited (a bit) by the retirement industry in the area. It arguably ought to be treated differently than how Robert Sarver allegedly treated it. Arguably. Furthermore, you'll have that Chicago/Midwest influence and that California influence, and they'll naturally clash. I might be glad I'm not an owner there.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I doubt that's real. The Suns have good support, but I do imagine this will push a new rink in Phoenix, thus leading on to a deal for the Arizona Coyotes to stay in Phoenix.

If that team moves to Seattle they can't call them the Suns. :sarcasm:
Don’t see how that is likely. If the vote ultimately goes in favour of the Suns the city will have committed to renovating the tsra which can’t support nhl hockey. Who is going to then drop $500 plus million to build another stadium to compete with it for non nhl/nba events? Is there enough events to split among two venues where both operators make money?

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
The NBA won't let this happen, the Suns have been around too long and despite having never won a championship and being mostly terrible since the 2010 playoff run, they've established themselves as a franchise in the league. They also happen to play in a market close to 5 million and still growing.

??? so what?

Weren't the Baltimore Colts an established football team before they moved to Indy? :huh:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
You were born before the San Diego Chargers moved to Los Angeles and that franchise was older than the Phoenix Suns.

:jets

I think you meant to say 'after' but regardless the NFL wanted a 2nd LA team anyways.

The point is, the NBA in all liklihood likes themselves in Phoenix. They'll expand to Seattle one day and one other vacant market.

This is all nothing. Suns aren't leaving.

Reactions: Llama19

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I think you meant to say 'after' but regardless the NFL wanted a 2nd LA team anyways.

The point is, the NBA in all liklihood likes themselves in Phoenix. They'll expand to Seattle one day and one other vacant market.

This is all nothing. Suns aren't leaving.

The Chargers moved following the 2016 season so I think it's safe to say that you were born 'before' they moved from San Diego to Los Angeles. Anyway, you're probably right about the Suns staying in Phoenix.

:jets

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I was born in the late 80's.

I'm probably misreading your post somehow, which I'm prone to do sometimes.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Sorry Seattle, Suns CEO says team wants to stay in Valley even if Phoenix rejects arena deal

To quote:

"The Phoenix Suns on Thursday vowed to look elsewhere in the Valley for a place to play if the city of Phoenix doesn’t agree to upgrade Talking Stick Resort Arena.

Suns CEO and President Jason Rowley told me the team would consider moving out of state only as a last resort and hasn’t gone looking elsewhere.

“We would look for another home here in the Valley but if that didn’t happen, if there wasn’t any option here in the Valley, what’s the other option after that?” he said."

Source: www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/op-ed/laurieroberts/2018/12/13/suns-ceo-if-we-leave-phoenix-we-want-stay-valley/2305904002/

I happen to know of a pretty nice arena in the valley that could use the 41 home dates. It currently is only used for 41 hockey games, a hand ful of concerts, and high school graduations...

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I am curious how it will impact Coyotes if Suns moved to Glendale and Phoenix just decided to demolish TSA.

I don't see that happening at all. Plus even if the suns move to glendale they can't do that no sooner than after the 2021-22 season.

shmglsky

Jul 10, 2012
I don't see that happening at all. Plus even if the suns move to glendale they can't do that no sooner than after the 2021-22 season.

Why not? I assume there's nothing wrong with the stadium. Maybe people will make the drive for basketball when they won't for hockey?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Why not? I assume there's nothing wrong with the stadium. Maybe people will make the drive for basketball when they won't for hockey?

Part of the issue was that people don't want to travel further for a game. Might have a negative impact on the suns attendance.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Business group ‘strongly supports’ Talking Stick Resort Arena renovations

To quote:

"“I think that this is a solid way to get the building refurbished for the future,” said Dave Krietor, president and CEO of Downtown Phoenix, Inc., which was established in 2013 to attract more businesses, residents and visitors to downtown Phoenix.

Krietor said his group – which promotes the continued revitalization of downtown Phoenix – strongly supports the plan. He said the Suns have invested more than $150 million in improvements and paid the expenses to operate the arena, despite it being owned by the city.

He said there wasn’t much happening in downtown Phoenix before the arena was built. That has changed. Now, more than 66,000 people work in the area and it is home to a diverse mix of retail, restaurants, bars and hotels, according to a study by Rounds Consulting Group.

The study also found downtown Phoenix generates about $167.7 million per year in tax revenue."

Source: ktar.com/story/2357275/business-group-strongly-supports-talking-stick-resort-arena-renovations/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad