OT: OT: Lets Go Cardinals! (All Baseball Talk Here) Part 2

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
with all the new stupid rule changes, no salary cap which is desperately needed and the current state of the cardinals franchise, i think i might tune out MLB moving forward.

Reactions: Fez Whatley

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
If anything, the MLB needs a salary floor even more than a cap. It’s embarrassing that teams like the As, Pirates, Royals, etc. can spend such paltry amounts on their payrolls so the owners can pocket the rest. I’d argue baseball on the whole would be improved if you told the owners in those markets they have to spend x amount actually improving the team rather punishing the teams spending cash - many of whom I can’t stand, mind you. There’s 8 MLB teams below the NHL cap floor right now. That shouldn’t happen.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Ohtani with $68M of $70M deferred in season 1. Bobby Bonilla is punching air right now.

That's laughable. Competitive baseball is a joke. I have little no interest in today's MLB, and this is coming from someone who went from obsessed fan to moonlighting as a baseball writer in the early days of the public sabermetrics boom.

I don't like what baseball has become. It's not the game I fell in love with.

If anything, the MLB needs a salary floor even more than a cap. It’s embarrassing that teams like the As, Pirates, Royals, etc. can spend such paltry amounts on their payrolls so the owners can pocket the rest. I’d argue baseball on the whole would be improved if you told the owners in those markets they have to spend x amount actually improving the team rather punishing the teams spending cash - many of whom I can’t stand, mind you. There’s 8 MLB teams below the NHL cap floor right now. That shouldn’t happen.
You could be right but I think it may actually have the opposite effect. I think teams like the Yankees and Dodgers will still be the only ones bringing in the real stars with the big contracts and those lower-tier teams would simply be vulturing players that would otherwise sign with the Cardinals, Blue Jays, Astros, Giants, etc. making the league even less competitive with the biggets market teams.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Ohtani with $68M of $70M deferred in season 1. Bobby Bonilla is punching air right now.

That's laughable. Competitive baseball is a joke. I have little no interest in today's MLB, and this is coming from someone who went from obsessed fan to moonlighting as a baseball writer in the early days of the public sabermetrics boom.

I don't like what baseball has become. It's not the game I fell in love with.

You could be right but I think it may actually have the opposite effect. I think teams like the Yankees and Dodgers will still be the only ones bringing in the real stars with the big contracts and those lower-tier teams would simply be vulturing players that would otherwise sign with the Cardinals, Blue Jays, Astros, Giants, etc. making the league even less competitive with the biggets market teams.
Perhaps, but I don’t think missing out on the odd mid-tier FA is going to be a damaging blow to a team like the Cards or Giants. I think the biggest thing a cap floor would do would incentivize the cheapskate teams to sign their own homegrown players rather than auctioning them off for 5 prospects in the hopes one of them hits. I agree the cap or not, the biggest free agents are going to end up with the same 5 teams they already go to as a matter of routine, though.

Reactions: Snubbed4Vezina

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
hopefully this leads to changes which lead to a salary cap. the way the dodgers operate is idiotic for the rest of the league, even makes the yankees look like peons.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
What?? The coast-based baseball media said this is good for baseball and baseball fans everywhere should be excited.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
stmWJ8U.jpg

75wins

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
These don't project a 75 win team, if that's what you're trying to claim.

"So what does it all add up to? ZiPS sees the Cardinals as having patched up enough of their immediate problems to return to winning 85-90 games, depending on what, if anything, the rest of the NL Central does this winter. Like most teams that have a suddenly horrific season, the Cardinals have become underrated in the public eye, and the hastily reassembled rotation, coupled with a solid bullpen and an above-average offensive core, could very well take one of baseball’s weakest divisions."

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
These don't project a 75 win team, if that's what you're trying to claim.

"So what does it all add up to? ZiPS sees the Cardinals as having patched up enough of their immediate problems to return to winning 85-90 games, depending on what, if anything, the rest of the NL Central does this winter. Like most teams that have a suddenly horrific season, the Cardinals have become underrated in the public eye, and the hastily reassembled rotation, coupled with a solid bullpen and an above-average offensive core, could very well take one of baseball’s weakest divisions."

they are not sniffing 90 wins

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
3.09 ERA reliever (4.33 was league average, and lower than everyone last season on the Cards except Helsley) who pitched 14 games last season after coming off of a TJ for a 5th/6th OF. Good pickup.

He was also an Allstar 2021. Had TJ in 2022, came back in 2023.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad