OT: Leafs Retiring Rick Vaive's Number?

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
That's why I said one of a few.

I did see the 80's, 70's too. I think as an organization they'd probably like to forget The Ballard Era ever existed.

Do you think Vaive is more deserving than Lanny McDonald? I'd bet most fans don't.
not more than Lanny not. there would be a lot of guys ahead or equal with him. I played a year with Rick when he was coaching here in SJ. Good guy.

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
I know it's hard for present day fans to look at 3 consecutive 50 goal seasons and not think those are superstar numbers. However, 50 goals was like 35-40 goals in the present day NHL which is still a substantial number. Vaive had an awesome slapshot that he could blow past NHL goalies of his day . No lying, he probably couldn't score 5 times from that spot in the present day NHL. The problem with Vaive as a great all time Leaf isn't with his scoring, it was with the rest of his game. He repeatedly took stupid, selfish penalties including tantrums that would cost the team seemingly every game because the opposition knew he was easy to rile. Also, defensively he was atrocious. He often didn't even bother to cover the point in the defensive zone opting to cherry pick at center ice.
wow. was that a joke?

Raptactics29

Mar 28, 2007
London, Ontario
Rick Vaive was a bright light on some pretty horrible teams.. but retiring his number? I'd definitely be ok with honouring it but not retiring it.. the Leafs ownership is getting a little pathetic these days! No disrespect to Rick Vaive

Jordan

Sep 8, 2007
Haven't the Leafs distanced themselves from Vaive a bit since his DUI?

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
I know it's hard for present day fans to look at 3 consecutive 50 goal seasons and not think those are superstar numbers. However, 50 goals was like 35-40 goals in the present day NHL which is still a substantial number. Vaive had an awesome slapshot that he could blow past NHL goalies of his day . No lying, he probably couldn't score 5 times from that spot in the present day NHL. The problem with Vaive as a great all time Leaf isn't with his scoring, it was with the rest of his game. He repeatedly took stupid, selfish penalties including tantrums that would cost the team seemingly every game because the opposition knew he was easy to rile. Also, defensively he was atrocious. He often didn't even bother to cover the point in the defensive zone opting to cherry pick at center ice.

These comments are ridiculous. Rick Vaive was passionate and played every game hard. The man was a stud - he fought, scored, and was proud to be a Leaf, playing similar to Wendel Clark. And saying he couldn't score like that in the present day NHL is a irrelevant statement - don't waste our time with that pointless drivel, get a brain.

Rick Vaive deserves formal recognition. He earned great personal success with very little on-ice and off-ice support at a terribly dark time in franchise history. Kudos to him and boo to you.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
I know this is an old thread but I was reminded of Vaive today and found this.

I understand why Leafs Nation holds Doug Gilmour in such high regard but he wasn't here very long and he wasn't as prolific for such a period as Rick Vaive.

Vaive STILL holds 3 of the top 4 goal scoring marks in franchise history. To have that and not be honored seems insane to me, plain and simple.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I know this is an old thread but I was reminded of Vaive today and found this.

I understand why Leafs Nation holds Doug Gilmour in such high regard but he wasn't here very long and he wasn't as prolific for such a period as Rick Vaive.

Vaive STILL holds 3 of the top 4 goal scoring marks in franchise history. To have that and not be honored seems insane to me, plain and simple.

Scoring was up by 50% in the 80's from where it is now. Vaive was still a very good scorer, but he had nowhere near the playmaking ability or Selke level defensive ability that Gilmour had. When you add the fact that the Rick Vaive played in the franchise's worst decade ever... yeah.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Scoring was up by 50% in the 80's from where it is now. Vaive was still a very good scorer, but he had nowhere near the playmaking ability or Selke level defensive ability that Gilmour had. When you add the fact that the Rick Vaive played in the franchise's worst decade ever... yeah.

They missed the playoffs 4 years in the 80s. Like already done in the current decade. Maybe Rick will have a chance after next season? :sarcasm:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Macdonald, Vaive, Dave Keon,Ellis, Horton, Armstrong and Sittler...raise 'em up. They deserve it.

And I am sure there is more than just a few.

It should be noted that he just didnt score 50 three times. He scored over 30 eight times. Thats huge.

They are and I think Keon doesn't want to be Honoured

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I could have sworn Keon went up recently. If not, to hell with him, he doesn't deserve it at this stage. One of the greatest ever, but the guy needs to grow up and get over the issues caused by a guy that has been dead for ages.

As for Vaive, he's not enough of a fan favourite it seems. I wouldn't be surprised to see a plug like Tucker go up before him. Leafs fans have a bad habit of making gods out of certain players like Tucker and Joseph while not fully appreciating better players like Sundin and Belfour. Even a guy like Kaberle deserves way more respect than he gets. He was a top fifteen defender prior to the Janssen hit.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I could have sworn Keon went up recently. If not, to hell with him, he doesn't deserve it at this stage. One of the greatest ever, but the guy needs to grow up and get over the issues caused by a guy that has been dead for ages.

As for Vaive, he's not enough of a fan favourite it seems. I wouldn't be surprised to see a plug like Tucker go up before him. Leafs fans have a bad habit of making gods out of certain players like Tucker and Joseph while not fully appreciating better players like Sundin and Belfour. Even a guy like Kaberle deserves way more respect than he gets. He was a top fifteen defender prior to the Janssen hit.

Keon deserves to have his number retired and not simply honoured......he was mistreated by the Leafs and it likley cost him another Stanley Cup ring or two!

As for Viave....he does not deserved to be honoured...his off ice behaviour has seen to that!

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Keon deserves to have his number retired and not simply honoured......he was mistreated by the Leafs and it likley cost him another Stanley Cup ring or two!

As for Viave....he does not deserved to be honoured...his off ice behaviour has seen to that!

Does Keon deserve to have his number retired more than other guys who are honored? Or are you advocating a change in policy and retiring the numbers of a number of honored players?

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Getting in on a class action suit against the league doesn't help either

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
One of the greatest goal scores in Leafs history but he gets no love. Never understood why. In one 3 year stretch in the 80's only Gretzky and Bossy scored more goals.

kessel will shatter all of vaives efforts :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Does Keon deserve to have his number retired more than other guys who are honored? Or are you advocating a change in policy and retiring the numbers of a number of honored players?

Keon deserves to have his number retired....some of the players honoured do not deserve to have their number retired.

4 Stanley cup winner, Conn Symthe winner, and a Calder Memorial Trophy.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Keon is a top 3 greatest Leaf of all time (behind Apps and Conacher). Not even close to a good comparison.

The debates will never end, I'd put Mahovlich as the best Leaf ever, but then he did crash and burn just like the team does today. 48 goals in 56 games, seemed destined to shatter Richards record of 50, then got 0 goals in his last 14.games. Still 48 in 70 games wasn't to shabby back when only one guy had ever managed 50.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad