OT: Leafs Retiring Rick Vaive's Number?

LeafDangler

Apr 25, 2006
Well, the Leafs don't retire any #s so the answer is no. (5 and 6 being the exceptions)

LeafsCrusader*

They don't retire numbers unless something tragic happens.

Ya i know i meant honouring him with his sweater going into the rafters like Clark etc...

I think Vaive should be up there!

Jatt

Sep 28, 2005
One of the greatest goal scores in Leafs history but he gets no love. Never understood why. In one 3 year stretch in the 80's only Gretzky and Bossy scored more goals.

Think it would have to do with the Oilers and Islanders also being successful franchises back then as well.

Sam Slick*

I think you're one of a few.

Nope. I want that too. I was a big fan and he had absolotely no one to play with. If you think we have been bad the last few years, you should have seen the dirty 80's.

Raise 'er up Burkie.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Nope. I want that too. I was a big fan and he had absolotely no one to play with. If you think we have been bad the last few years, you should have seen the dirty 80's.

Raise 'er up Burkie.

That's why I said one of a few.

I did see the 80's, 70's too. I think as an organization they'd probably like to forget The Ballard Era ever existed.

Do you think Vaive is more deserving than Lanny McDonald? I'd bet most fans don't.

Last edited:

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Vaive was a great player for the Leafs, but not good enough to have to sweater retired imo

BlackDog13

Jun 4, 2010
PA
Even with 3 straight 50 goal seasons I don't feel Vaive was quite the impact player those currently honored in the rafters were.

In addition, there's a certain stigma attached to Vaive due to his part in Keith Magnuson's death that I doubt the Leafs want to draw attention to.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Even with 3 straight 50 goal seasons I don't feel Vaive was quite the impact player those currently honored in the rafters were.

In addition, there's a certain stigma attached to Vaive due to his part in Keith Magnuson's death that I doubt the Leafs want to draw attention to.

Wasn't that Ramage?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

You're thinking of former Leafs captain Rob Ramage there, that stood trial and was found guilty for that car accident,.. We're speaking about Rick Vaive here.

StarBurns RIP

No Agenda
Mar 17, 2009
I know it's hard for present day fans to look at 3 consecutive 50 goal seasons and not think those are superstar numbers. However, 50 goals was like 35-40 goals in the present day NHL which is still a substantial number. Vaive had an awesome slapshot that he could blow past NHL goalies of his day . No lying, he probably couldn't score 5 times from that spot in the present day NHL. The problem with Vaive as a great all time Leaf isn't with his scoring, it was with the rest of his game. He repeatedly took stupid, selfish penalties including tantrums that would cost the team seemingly every game because the opposition knew he was easy to rile. Also, defensively he was atrocious. He often didn't even bother to cover the point in the defensive zone opting to cherry pick at center ice.

BillyD

JUST WIN BABY
Jun 23, 2009
You're thinking of former Leafs captain Rob Ramage there, that stood trial and was found guilty for that car accident,.. We're speaking about Rick Vaive here.

this was an egregious error and a terrible thing to lay at the feet of rick vaive

on the other hand, it might be rooted in the fact that rick vaive was recently arrested for impaired driving and i believe it was in the general vicinty of that accident

i always liked vaive, both as a player and an analyst on leafs tv, i just think that rightly or wrongly the teams he captained were bad and he doesnt deserve this honour

Sam Slick*

That's why I said one of a few.

I did see the 80's, 70's too. I think as an organization they'd probably like to forget The Ballard Era ever existed.

Do you think Vaive is more deserving than Lanny McDonald? I'd bet most fans don't.

Macdonald, Vaive, Dave Keon, Ellis, Horton, Armstrong and Sittler...raise 'em up. They deserve it.

And I am sure there is more than just a few.

It should be noted that he just didnt score 50 three times. He scored over 30 eight times. Thats huge.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sam Slick*

I know it's hard for present day fans to look at 3 consecutive 50 goal seasons and not think those are superstar numbers. However, 50 goals was like 35-40 goals in the present day NHL which is still a substantial number. Vaive had an awesome slapshot that he could blow past NHL goalies of his day . No lying, he probably couldn't score 5 times from that spot in the present day NHL. The problem with Vaive as a great all time Leaf isn't with his scoring, it was with the rest of his game. He repeatedly took stupid, selfish penalties including tantrums that would cost the team seemingly every game because the opposition knew he was easy to rile. Also, defensively he was atrocious. He often didn't even bother to cover the point in the defensive zone opting to cherry pick at center ice.

I dont remember Vaive like that at all. And 50 is still 50. Saying that would be saying all 50 goal scorers from that era wouldnt score 50 today. Then gretzky only scored...60 instead of 92. Your arguement doesnt make sense at all. Bossy, Neely, and the other greats same thing. Then you can go back to Maurice Richard. He would only get 10 or 12 then. As a matter of fact, with their lack of skating ability, Richard and Howe wouldnt even make todays NHL.

All Hogwash.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad