OT: OT: Leafs Forum OT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Speaking of ads... the custom banners that pop up related to my web experiences could really go away.

This morning, looked up a tool at Canadian Tire. I then went to 2 sites; the Weather Network to check out my morning golf forecast and here to see if a debate caught my eye. On both pages, I am flooded with "Canadian Tire Sale - Shop Deals" banners.

Similarly, last night looked up some golf equipment on my phone. Now, I'll be seeing golf shoes whenever I check out CNN.

I'm aware of ad blockers and opt out software... just seems like they keep finding ways around it. And I'm the one that has to take the action based on simply visiting their store. Makes me less likely to want to purchase.

It's like a friend who calls and says,

"Hey man, saw that you drove by my place. Must be thinking of coming over. Am I right? You were thinking of coming over weren't you? You coming? Now? How about now? Now? Now, now? C'mon man, I've got beer but it's only here today. How about now? Seriously, come on by, you coming on by? When will you be here? Soon?"

You don't send a sales person to my tail my car and come to my house after I visit your store so stop pestering me with what you think are "custom ads to deliver me content that will enhance my enjoyment of the internet."

I know I want golf shoes and eventually a cordless leaf vacuum. I'll buy them when I'm good and ready and I'm pretty sure I know which stores sell them. So **** off.

Borschevsky

Aug 9, 2005
The standard Ad-block/Ad-block plus sold the rights to allow certain ads through their program.

Sort of. They started an initiative to police the type of ads they felt should be allowed. Big flashy seizure inducing ads? Bad. Small non-intrusive ads? Good.

In theory, this is good. It allows sites to continue generating revenue while end users don't have a ridiculously bad experience. Plus, it's completely optional.

As to why everyone seems to be experiencing issues on hfboards these days, I don't know what to tell you but I've had been fine both on my laptop and phone.

The only difference I've noticed is that the site no longer connects via https at all.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
there's a really strange url change every time i change. it's like. mumbo jumbo before it flashes to the regular one. that could have something to do with it.

i am enjoying the thunder/lightening storms and the second/third thing that's good about this stupid season: Strawberry and Rhubarb. man. i love it.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Yes!!!! Pakistan demolished India in the champions trophy cricket final. Take that Kohli!
Absolutely dominating performance. Lets go Pakistan!

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Hows the trip in Chicago and the lady friend going Swervin?

Day 1 was insanely eventful, to say the least. Unpacked, hung out with the lady friend at a deep dish pizza bar (the pizza was great). She's amazing, we talked tons of hockey. However, I left my passport at the hotel (bars don't accept photocopied ID's :/) which was only a few blocks away. She decided to finish her drink and go to the bar next door to save me a seat. On my way back all alone... I straight up got mugged and robbed of 20 bucks by some hobo. Dude kept badgering me, getting aggressive, shoving and grabbing, and got to a point where he even yanked my arm back before I broke free and stopped placating the dude and ran. He was reaching for something with his free hand in his pocket as I went into a dead sprint back to my hotel (****, I have a bad feeling it was a switchblade). That is legitimately the scariest moment I've ever had. All alone, some hobo robbing me and no one around to intervene. I'm not gonna lie, I thought for a sec I would legitimately die.

Obviously, given how freaked I was, I ****ing begged the lady friend to come back to the hotel and so we could meet there and choose another bar. She obliged and was totally awesome in terms of making me feel better and giving my comfort through an insane situation. Gave me a nice big hug, even held onto my hand for a second at a time when I reached out (while it's not really holding hands, it's the first time a girl has technically held my hand, even if there wasn't anything too romantic about this specific instance). We just hung out for another hour at a bar till she had to go meet with another friend who was in a rough spot. She even walked with me back to my hotel on her own volition, which I really appreciated.

Come to thin of it, she broke a couple of my 20 bills into several 1's/5's/10's, so she probably saved me far more money or maybe even my life. Hell, her comforting me really helped soothe the pain of feeling as violated and anxious as I was after that. Now, it's barely an afterthought during the day and a small thought at night. If it weren't for her, I might not have gone out at night at all since. She truly is da real MVP.

Day 2 - Uneventful by comparison. Go to gym first thing. Went to the pier but it was raining, so everything was closed. Toured Harry Caray's pub, which was a treasure trove of sports stuff. Went to Pequod's and the pizza there was ****ing heavenly. Was planning on hanging out with the lady friend but she had to drive a family member to the airport. Sadly, the earliest we can meet up again, given her ****** 10 hour into the night work schedule, is Thursday night :(.

Day 3 - Decent. Went back to the pier to actually do stuff there that I wanted to do (riding the ferris wheel, climbing rocks, etc). Hung out with another reddit friend at a nearby bar. He seemed like a decent enough dude. Talked sports and ****. Surprised the lady friend by getting us tickets to go to day 1 of the draft (we were already planning on going day 2) since she seemed really bummed out about having to sell her ticket due to financial troubles (she's a grad student, so yeah...) and I didn't want her to miss out on the opportunity to boo Gary in her own city :laugh:. She insists on trying to pay me back in some way ASAP, even though I told her to take her time and not stress too much about it.

Tomorrow, I'll probably go to Wrigley and meet up with someone from HF before the game at a nearby bar. I don't really have an itinerary, I just am doing things as I go.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Yes!!!! Pakistan demolished India in the champions trophy cricket final. Take that Kohli!
Absolutely dominating performance. Lets go Pakistan!

Kohli is a good guy but I'm absolutely exuberant that we won! Such a great match. Zaman, Hasan and Amir were brilliant!

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Got an interview at 1130 this morning.

Is it weird I don't get nervous for them? Like, you're just talking about yourself. Read up on the company, and there's nothing you shouldn't be able to answer.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan

Is it weird I don't get nervous for them? Like, you're just talking about yourself. Read up on the company, and there's nothing you shouldn't be able to answer.

Depends what kind of interview I guess. Oilfield is usually a pretty easy interview. They ask practical questions like, can you lift 100 pounds? You have work boots? A ride into work? Alright come in Monday.

When I was 16 or 17 I applied at Walmart for my first job and it was like trying to get on at a fortune 500 company. So many hypothetical questions and like a 70 something question application that ask the same useless 4 or 5 questions in 18 different ways like they're trying to trick you into admitting you don't take a nap after work... Literally one the questions was, "do you take a nap after work". Which was followed about 7 questions later with, " Do you think taking a nap is acceptable after work" which was followed about 10 questions later by "Do you feel like taking naps after work is a good way to stay fresh?" Or something just as dumb.

I actually had gotten a call back from walmart that I had the job and I said no thanks because I figured any company that thought a 7 or 8 dollar(At the time) minimum wage job was worth putting employees through the ringer like that isn't the place for me lol.

I've moved out west since then though to work in the patch mainly because if you didn't want to work in a place like walmart or other stores ( just not for me) than NB is a terrible place for you. I've actually walked into the last two places I worked at without a resume or anything but now that the patch is really in a rut it takes a little more effort. Everyone wants experience but the problem is that so many skills you learn in the oilfield don't translate to any other jobs and not that many companies are willing to send and pay for employees to get their tickets like they were doing when the price of oil was 80$+ a barrel.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

Try a 3 hour interview that includes technical skills required for the job.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Speaking of ads... the custom banners that pop up related to my web experiences could really go away.

This morning, looked up a tool at Canadian Tire. I then went to 2 sites; the Weather Network to check out my morning golf forecast and here to see if a debate caught my eye. On both pages, I am flooded with "Canadian Tire Sale - Shop Deals" banners.

Similarly, last night looked up some golf equipment on my phone. Now, I'll be seeing golf shoes whenever I check out CNN.

I'm aware of ad blockers and opt out software... just seems like they keep finding ways around it. And I'm the one that has to take the action based on simply visiting their store. Makes me less likely to want to purchase.

It's like a friend who calls and says,

"Hey man, saw that you drove by my place. Must be thinking of coming over. Am I right? You were thinking of coming over weren't you? You coming? Now? How about now? Now? Now, now? C'mon man, I've got beer but it's only here today. How about now? Seriously, come on by, you coming on by? When will you be here? Soon?"

You don't send a sales person to my tail my car and come to my house after I visit your store so stop pestering me with what you think are "custom ads to deliver me content that will enhance my enjoyment of the internet."

I know I want golf shoes and eventually a cordless leaf vacuum. I'll buy them when I'm good and ready and I'm pretty sure I know which stores sell them. So **** off.

I sort of work in this industry - just wondering, would you rather ads at complete random? Like is it the idea that the advertisers know where you've been that bothers you, or just the repetition for things that you've already bought?

The industry has gotten good at targeting by location, sites you've visited, similar interests/searches, and is starting to have some decent predictive placements

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I sort of work in this industry - just wondering, would you rather ads at complete random? Like is it the idea that the advertisers know where you've been that bothers you, or just the repetition for things that you've already bought?

The industry has gotten good at targeting by location, sites you've visited, similar interests/searches, and is starting to have some decent predictive placements

That's an interesting question. For me personally, I usually just don't notice ads but when I do, I think I like the fact that they're personalized for me. I don't like the idea of using keywords from my phone conversations though, that's where I'd draw the line (then again, not sure if I can do anything about it or not). I'm also not sure if that's being done or not but a friend of mine says it is, I've been planning on testing this but haven't gotten around to it yet. Scary thought though.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
That's an interesting question. For me personally, I usually just don't notice ads but when I do, I think I like the fact that they're personalized for me. I don't like the idea of using keywords from my phone conversations though, that's where I'd draw the line (then again, not sure if I can do anything about it or not). I'm also not sure if that's being done or not but a friend of mine says it is, I've been planning on testing this but haven't gotten around to it yet. Scary thought though.
It is. It specifically works with apps that you have downloaded on your phone. For example, the Facebook app basically takes all the information on your phone. You'll often get adds on that app about things that you have mentioned in texts, even if youve never googled it or viewed it on your phone.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Guess whose married guys! Actually its been about a month now but still its pretty nice:)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It is. It specifically works with apps that you have downloaded on your phone. For example, the Facebook app basically takes all the information on your phone. You'll often get adds on that app about things that you have mentioned in texts, even if youve never googled it or viewed it on your phone.

I was thinking of voice conversations, that's more spooky. Based on what my friend told me I believe it, just haven't tested it myself. Hell if TV's are listening in on us, it would be surprising if phones weren't doing the same.

Guess whose married guys! Actually its been about a month now but still its pretty nice:)

Get back to us after another month. :laugh:

JK. Congrats! :)

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

I think the unfortunate truth is that we're heading towards what most of us would consider to be infringement on privacy, but it's all opt-in based on us wanting to use the applications for free. Literally everything that we use on our phones has a set of terms and conditions and either we agree or we don't get to use them

It's a relevant topic for me though, I buy about 50 million impressions a year and the last thing I want to do is either miss a relevant audience or make a relevant audience spiteful towards my company

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think the unfortunate truth is that we're heading towards what most of us would consider to be infringement on privacy, but it's all opt-in based on us wanting to use the applications for free. Literally everything that we use on our phones has a set of terms and conditions and either we agree or we don't get to use them

It's a relevant topic for me though, I buy about 50 million impressions a year and the last thing I want to do is either miss a relevant audience or make a relevant audience spiteful towards my company

True. It's ridiculous though that the terms and conditions are invariably so long and hard to understand (especially if one isn't a lawyer) that hardly anyone reads them. I sometimes wonder if we will see this come up in a court case as I think a good argument can be made that in many cases, it's not reasonable for a person to be bound by the terms and conditions as it's not reasonable to expect that anyone reads those things.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I was thinking of voice conversations, that's more spooky. Based on what my friend told me I believe it, just haven't tested it myself. Hell if TV's are listening in on us, it would be surprising if phones weren't doing the same.

Get back to us after another month. :laugh:

JK. Congrats! :)

Thanks a lot. At least one person is kind enough here:)

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Thanks a lot. At least one person is kind enough here:)

Being married is pretty awesome, as long as you're actively engaged in your marriage. Most of my divorced buddies talk about how things will change "just you wait and see", but I can clearly point to the lack of communication or other obvious reasons their's failed.

Be an active participant, and supportive as all hell, and everything will be great. Going on year 3, myself.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
True. It's ridiculous though that the terms and conditions are invariably so long and hard to understand (especially if one isn't a lawyer) that hardly anyone reads them. I sometimes wonder if we will see this come up in a court case as I think a good argument can be made that in many cases, it's not reasonable for a person to be bound by the terms and conditions as it's not reasonable to expect that anyone reads those things.

I think they're getting more transparent about what you're actually agreeing to, like my android device brings up a pop up with "this app needs access to:..." and lists out things like wireless, camera and photo album, other apps/social media, sms messages, etc.

I think the argument in the defense is that no app is a necessity, so the creators have every right to put in ridiculous terms and conditions for you to use their tech for free. The change might come as these apps become considered a more essential service like high speed internet was recently deemed. The CRTC is starting to crack down on the network suppliers for things like unlocking fees, and we're starting to see regulation for the use of commerce apps like Uber and Airbnb, so those types of restrictions could certainly happen in the future

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto

I'm not sure about in Canada, but I've heard of cases in some states in the US where some terms of contracts have been considered null because they're too unrealistic, even though the consumer agreed to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad