OT: Joe Morrow to KHL

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I know we’re getting all nostalgic, but let’s not turn this into another thread about trading for ex-Pens. :laugh:

BONINO BONINO BONINO BONINO BONINO BONINO BONINO BONINOOOOOOO!

31930-image_5904f22b0c3df.jpg

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Trade trees are ****ing crazy. Morrow should go down as one of the dumbest picks in organization history...but considering the 3rd rounder he was eventually traded for turned out to be better than the pick 99% of us wanted and played a major role in us winning a damn Cup...crazy.

This is where I would say ideally we'd have just drafted Forsberg instead of Morrow and taken Guentzel with a different pick...but considering our only other pick in the top 100 of that draft was Tristan Jarry 33 picks earlier.

The Shero era was such a damn mixed bag. Jarry & Guentzel in a draft without a 1st rounder looks pretty damn great 6 years after the fact, but then you remember that the other 4 guys didn't even become organizational depth. To be your odds of hitting obviously go down as the draft goes on, but still. So many low upside players who couldn't even make it as AHL chaff. Who could ever forget that our 6th rounder that year was redshirted a year after being drafted?

The idea in drafting is to get one legit NHLer every draft. Shero did that in spades here. Given the success the team had during his tenure the drafting he did was remarkable tbh.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
And that was with Iginla being idiotically deployed by Bylsma and played at times on his off wing.

Only Disco Dan could take one of the best Right Wings of all time and decide to put him on Left Wing.

it also led to one of the most idiotic quotes from Bylsma in a presser... the one where he had removed a red hot Iginla from the top power play because, (paraphrasing) “teams were going to figure him out eventually “

IMO, it was basically backdoor saying he hated that dude and didn’t want him to have success, even if it meant cutting his nose off to spite his face....

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
it also led to one of the most idiotic quotes from Bylsma in a presser... the one where he had removed a red hot Iginla from the top power play because, (paraphrasing) “teams were going to figure him out eventually “

IMO, it was basically backdoor saying he hated that dude and didn’t want him to have success, even if it meant cutting his nose off to spite his face....

Shorter Abysmal : "Scoring on the Power Play isn't Getting to Our Game and Grinding B****es Down."

Reactions: madinsomniac

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
You know, it’s probably true that morrow wasn’t going to work out no matter what, butt all those defensemen probably got screwed royally with the backlog we had here because instead of getting those guys ready, we’d go get washed up Eatons and other scrubs to play up here, and when they did have them up, they probably screwed them up trying to acclimate them to Bylsma’s dipshit defensive system...

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Never forget the force field and goals that didn’t go in. And playing hangman. Shero not firing him after that was comical.

Reactions: madinsomniac

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The idea in drafting is to get one legit NHLer every draft. Shero did that in spades here. Given the success the team had during his tenure the drafting he did was remarkable tbh.
That is utter BS...

In 2006, we had the #2 overall pick that he screwed up, but Staal was the only NHL regular drafted that year.

2007 - no one

2008 - no one

2009 - Despres was literally the only player of relevance

2010 - Bryan Rust

2011 - Harrington might be the best of the scrubs we drafted

Please explain how he was remarkable after 6 consecutive years of poor drafting. He was remarkably bad.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
f***, I can't think of a more depressing place to go in Eastern Europe than Minsk. I've been there before. At the time the only western restaurant they had was McDonalds on the main street and most people couldn't afford to eat there because the economy is absolutely shitty there. Their main commodity there was hot girls. Guys would be drunk all day because there was no work and nothing to do. And...they really still have the KGB still there and still use that name. If you weren't from there they followed your ass around everywhere just like from Rocky 4. Joe Morrow we hardly knew ye. I feel like if you are going to Minsk, you should hang em' up buddy. If you aren't good enough to play in a Swiss league or one of SKA or Moscow Dinamo then you should just take the hint.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That is utter BS...

In 2006, we had the #2 overall pick that he screwed up, but Staal was the only NHL regular drafted that year.

2007 - no one

2008 - no one

2010 - Bryan Rust

Please explain how he was remarkable after 6 consecutive years of poor drafting. He was remarkably bad.
I'm gonna call you sour milk from now on.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
That is utter BS...

2007 - no one

2008 - no one

2010 - Bryan Rust

Lol.

Staal. Strait. Johnson. All regulars

Bortuzzo. Muzzin. Regulars.

N/A. 4 picks. I’ll give it to him.

Despres. Probably his weakest draft. We won a cup.

Bennett. Rust. Kuhnhackl. All regulars basically.

Harrington. Wilson. Archibald. Fringe regulars. One contributed to a cup. I’m good with that.

Maatta. Sundqvist. Bleuger. Murray. Best draft by far.

Jarry. Guentzel.

For players still in the league.

Guentzel - Staal - Rust
Kuhnhackl - Sundqvist - X
Archibald - Bleuger - X
X - X - X

Muzzin - X
Maatta - X
Bortuzzo - X

Murray
Jarry

Pretty phenomenal given the fact we were consistently picking 20th in the NHL

If you want to argue he failed to incorporate a lot of these picks properly due to his allegiance with Bylsma. I’m in total agreement.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
My only nitpick is the Muzzin thing, Pens drafted him, but then freaked out by his injury and didn't bother keeping him.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Are you thinking of Pouliot? Because we drafted him ahead of Forsberg in 2012. All in all, the Morrow pick wasn't actually that bad considering the rest of the first round really only produced Namestnikov at 27 and Rakell at 30.
I think you're confusing Morrow with Pouliot.

We drafted Pouliot (8) over Trouba (9) and Forsberg (11). IMO that was the worst draft pick in recent memory.

This is what I get for making a post while drinking my first coffee of the day and not after it. Derpy derp. Either way Guentzel has done considerably better than anyone we wanted with Morrow's pick anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad