OT: Joe Morrow to KHL

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
I saw this from the Trade and Free Agency sub-forum. It appears that Joe Morrow was placed on waivers by Ray Shero for the New Jersey Devils, and he has signed a deal with HC Dinamo Minsk in Belarus.

Crazy to think that Ray Shero's most successful draft picks were forwards and goaltenders in the end... and that the draft pick we received for Morrow ended up being... Jake Guentzel! :yo:

Still remember being excited about Morrow after he scored a pre-season reverse PP goal from Letang:

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
We got Jake out of that trade :nod:

So perhaps Ray Shero in a weird way was right, lol:

Goligoski --> Neal (and Niskanen) --> Hörnqvist (Cup x 2)
Morrow --> Guentzel (and other Morrow) (Cup x 1)

That's Sidney Crosby's line in the most recent Cup!

Also,

Questionable D selections:

Despres --> Lovejoy (Cup x 1)
Pouliot --> 4th round pick (and Pedan) --> Brassard (and 3rd round pick) --> McCann and Bjugstad (future assets) and Filip Hållander
P. Samuelsson --> Klinkhammer --> Perron --> Hagelin (Cup x 1)
S. Harrington --> Kessel (Cup x 2) --> Galchenyuk (future assets) and P.O. Joseph

Successful D selections:

Määttä (Cup x 2) (wish we still had him) --> Kahun

Last edited:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Beau Bennett managed 5 games out there, wonder if Morrow makes the full season.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I remember people losing their **** when he got traded.

To be fair, on paper, at the time, that trade sucked. It burned my that we let a young 1st rounder like Morrow go for a broken down vet like Morrow. The only saving grace of ANY of the 2013 trades is Guentzel with the 3rd we got from Dallas and the fact that literally every pick we gave up to get Murray, Iginla, and Morrow turned out to be nothing. Lol, Morgan Klimchuk.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
To be fair, on paper, at the time, that trade sucked. It burned my that we let a young 1st rounder like Morrow go for a broken down vet like Morrow. The only saving grace of ANY of the 2013 trades is Guentzel with the 3rd we got from Dallas and the fact that literally every pick we gave up to get Murray, Iginla, and Morrow turned out to be nothing. Lol, Morgan Klimchuk.

Morrow and Iginla were great for us?

Morrow basically split a knee cap in two but was a PPG prior and Iginla had 23 points in 28 games as a Penguin.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Morrow basically split a knee cap in two but was a PPG prior and Iginla had 23 points in 28 games as a Penguin.

Morrow was playing well before that happened. He was kind of like the Hornqvist we needed. Real scrappy and played hard around the net.

He was toast after that.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Klimchuk is a good hockey name, though, you have to admit.

Its not Zarley Zalapski or Kaapo Kakko, but it's still good.

Klimchuk. If only his first name with Korgan. What could have been. Instead it's Morgan...spell big M...little organ.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

Also,

Pouliot --> 4th round pick (and Pedan) --> Brassard (and 3rd round pick) --> McCann and Bjugstad (future assets) and Filip Hållander
S. Harrington --> Kessel (Cup x 2) --> Galchenyuk (future assets) and P.O. Joseph

Successful D selections:

Haha all these trades remind me of blackjack where you start with a nice stack of chips, and then lose mostly all of them, but then miraculously end up winning big at the end of the night.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016

Also,

Successful D selections:

It goes back to Lindros trade.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

And that was with Iginla being idiotically deployed by Bylsma and played at times on his off wing.

Only Disco Dan could take one of the best Right Wings of all time and decide to put him on Left Wing.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Trade trees are f***ing crazy. Morrow should go down as one of the dumbest picks in organization history...but considering the 3rd rounder he was eventually traded for turned out to be better than the pick 99% of us wanted and played a major role in us winning a damn Cup...crazy.

This is where I would say ideally we'd have just drafted Forsberg instead of Morrow and taken Guentzel with a different pick...but considering our only other pick in the top 100 of that draft was Tristan Jarry 33 picks earlier.

The Shero era was such a damn mixed bag. Jarry & Guentzel in a draft without a 1st rounder looks pretty damn great 6 years after the fact, but then you remember that the other 4 guys didn't even become organizational depth. To be your odds of hitting obviously go down as the draft goes on, but still. So many low upside players who couldn't even make it as AHL chaff. Who could ever forget that our 6th rounder that year was redshirted a year after being drafted?

Last edited:

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Trade trees are ****ing crazy. Morrow should go down as one of the dumbest picks in organization history...but considering the 3rd rounder he was eventually traded for turned out to be better than the pick 99% of us wanted and played a major role in us winning a damn Cup...crazy.

This is where I would say ideally we'd have just drafted Forsberg instead of Morrow and taken Guentzel with a different pick...but considering our only other pick in the top 100 of that draft was Tristan Jarry 33 picks earlier.

The Shero era was such a damn mixed bag. Jarry & Guentzel in a draft without a 1st rounder looks pretty damn great 6 years after the fact, but then you remember that the other 4 guys didn't even become organizational depth. To be your odds of hitting obviously go down as the draft goes on, but still. So many low upside players who couldn't even make it as AHL chaff. Who could ever forget that our 6th rounder that year was redshirted a year after being drafted?
I think you're confusing Morrow with Pouliot.

We drafted Pouliot (8) over Trouba (9) and Forsberg (11). IMO that was the worst draft pick in recent memory.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Trade trees are ****ing crazy. Morrow should go down as one of the dumbest picks in organization history...but considering the 3rd rounder he was eventually traded for turned out to be better than the pick 99% of us wanted and played a major role in us winning a damn Cup...crazy.

Are you thinking of Pouliot? Because we drafted him ahead of Forsberg in 2012. All in all, the Morrow pick wasn't actually that bad considering the rest of the first round really only produced Namestnikov at 27 and Rakell at 30.

Reactions: That1Kid

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
A big reason why we saw so much of polioIt was because we were looking at morrow so it’s part of the parcel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad