OT - I hope the NHL is watching...

Out East

Jan 11, 2013
Halifax NS
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/hockey/2013/03/07/swiss-hockey-player-paralyzed/1970325/

How would we feel if this happened to one of our players? All of my life the NHL has reacted to hits based on the level of injury which is assinine. What needs to be eliminated is any hit that could lead to severe injury. This guy is paralyzed for LIFE and you have to admit we see hits of this nature all too often... Get rid of them Bettman! Use your stubbornness for something useful for once...

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
you don't stop 3 meters away from the board like that after chasing a loose puck... just bad technique, you skate INTO the boards so they serve as cushion and take the damn hit.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
holy crap. When this was posted in the other thread I'm sure we all though - holy crap, that's dangerous and the guy COULD be paralyzed. And now he actually is.

The thing with that hit is that the player was actually aware of his forechecker and does a sort of boullion-esque (Eller sometimes, Kovalev often) dig in an push back , but the guy still ran him. It might have been better had it been closer to the boards. It's really about exactly how he went into the boards and I don't see the NHL fixing this. As mentioned, similar to brown on Gorges and equally dangerous. All they do is 5min major (and still leafs fans think it's undeserved).

On multiple shows, people have been debating the visor issue in wake of Staal's injury and i'm shocked to hear the number of people say that it should be up to the players (including bobby mac). The point isn't that you should "feel good" in your equipment. It's that you're protecting your eyesight, your life and certainly your career. I just don't get it, should NFL players not wear helmets? I'm sure they are more comfortable without them. Just make it the law and don't give them a choice so that it's not a matter of pride. Don Cherry goes on about helping hockey players and how beautiful and great they are, but then is the primary advocate for not wearing one cuz it makes you a *****. Meanwhile, fighting results in that brutal knock out of Drewznski. Makes one really think about just how dangerous those fights are if people land them. It's not just wrestling.

Anyway, that's horrible news for Keller. What else can you say?

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/hockey/2013/03/07/swiss-hockey-player-paralyzed/1970325/

How would we feel if this happened to one of our players? All of my life the NHL has reacted to hits based on the level of injury which is assinine. What needs to be eliminated is any hit that could lead to severe injury. This guy is paralyzed for LIFE and you have to admit we see hits of this nature all too often... Get rid of them Bettman! Use your stubbornness for something useful for once...

To get rid of what more precisely?

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
you don't stop 3 meters away from the board like that after chasing a loose puck... just bad technique, you skate INTO the boards so they serve as cushion and take the damn hit.

Who give's a **** about his bad technique. In the game, everything happens so fast. The guy is now paralyzed for the rest of his life, don't blame him on his "bad technique".

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
Who give's a **** about his bad technique. In the game, everything happens so fast. The guy is now paralyzed for the rest of his life, don't blame him on his "bad technique".

It was a freak accident, and no one is to blame. I obviously feel bad for the guy I'm human but hits like these happen all the time in the NHL.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston

This is not wrong in this specific case since the puck had already landed along the boards. It could have been avoided by paying it correctly as you said.

My point here being (as I'm sure PIM would agree) that it wasn't a hit that happened so quickly and so violently that Keller had no chance to avoid it. It's just that in a game where you can throw people into solid walls, there are ways you can very greatly increase your chance of serious injury. This was one of them. For all we know, the other guy didn't apply much force and it's the fact that Keller tried to stop and take the guy on (so far away from the boards) that resulted in him being thrown so off-balance without a chance to brace himself.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
This is not wrong in this specific case since the puck had already landed along the boards. It could have been avoided by paying it correctly as you said.

My point here being (as I'm sure PIM would agree) that it wasn't a hit that happened so quickly and so violently that Keller had no chance to avoid it. It's just that in a game where you can throw people into solid walls, there are ways you can very greatly increase your chance of serious injury. This was one of them. For all we know, the other guy didn't apply much force and it's the fact that Keller tried to stop and take the guy on (so far away from the boards) that resulted in him being thrown so off-balance without a chance to brace himself.

Bingo.

Out East

Jan 11, 2013
Halifax NS

This is not about technique or right and wrong. Hits from behind toward the boards need to be banned pure and simple. Ban them. Automatic suspension for first offense and more severe penalties after. The players will adjust to any rule the league puts in place. I'm a redneck and grew up on a farm doing crazier stuff than most people will ever do. We jumped cars, rolled them, skiied behind a snowmobile like water skiing etc... I love a good hit in hockey and I know sometimes people will get hurt no matter the rules but hits from behind into the boards should never be permitted. It needs to leave our thought process that there is such thing as a clean hit from behind and don't give me the gears about it isn't fair, how will defensemen defend etc... The rules are the same for both teams so get it done Gary unless you want to get out on the ice and experience a hit from behind for yourself... Yeah I didn't think so...

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
This is not about technique or right and wrong. Hits from behind toward the boards need to be banned pure and simple. Ban them. Automatic suspension for first offense and more severe penalties after. The players will adjust to any rule the league puts in place. I'm a redneck and grew up on a farm doing crazier stuff than most people will ever do. We jumped cars, rolled them, skiied behind a snowmobile like water skiing etc... I love a good hit in hockey and I know sometimes people will get hurt no matter the rules but hits from behind into the boards should never be permitted. It needs to leave our thought process that there is such thing as a clean hit from behind and don't give me the gears about it isn't fair, how will defensemen defend etc... The rules are the same for both teams so get it done Gary unless you want to get out on the ice and experience a hit from behind for yourself... Yeah I didn't think so...

I'm not disagreeing with you that hits like that should be banned, although you can't prevent something like that just because it's banned. We all know hockey happens fast and for guys with mean streaks, "banning" doesn't mean much.

After re-re-re-re-re-watching the clip, defeinitely Schnyder was way too agressive - more the reason not to make yourself so vulnerable by essentially giving up all balance in your body should the player be bigger than yourself and push you past your resistance point.

One thing we've learned - players don't adjust! Look at the Bruins and tell me about bans, infractions, whatever. Forget them. The leafs! Forget them! Taylor Swift...err Hall! It would simply be a PR move.

It was OT in that game and I bet Schnyder's coach wanted him to get that puck. If he had stopped and just bear hugged Keller, it would have been the weirdest play. Problem is that he hit him too hard and, again as we've been saying, if the guy went to the boards, (not saying the onus is on him, just wishing he had done that!), less impact and the angle of falling into the boards - well, he wouldn't have fallen INTO them. I just don't know what the ban would be on. We already have a no hitting from behind policy. Imagine that resulted in permanent exodus from the league. There would be half the number of players in the NHL today. It's a lot to do about protecting yourself against a dirty hitter.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
The rules are the same for both teams so get it done Gary unless you want to get out on the ice and experience a hit from behind for yourself... Yeah I didn't think so...

Ha!! You think that shrimp gives a **** about the players or even the owners when they present an obstacle (Quebec!) All he cares about is his bottom line and trust me, while we find this stuff unacceptable, there are many who (they'll say they regret the outcome) love this kind of hockey. Can you think of one particular fanbase? And it's only getting worse.

I think it would be all of our dream to see Bettman on the ice vs an NHL team. Hell, just him and DD one on one.

edit: just for a moment think of Hedman on Crosby causing a potentially career-ending injury. Hedman is the category of least dirty. Yet it happened. It seems like such an intractable problem in terms of preventing the hit (some are accidental, some pure goonish brutality aka "Hockey Plays"). Let's start with visors since we can't even get a common sense 99% avoidable issue to pass.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Pick any sport that involves physical exertion. You will see freak accidents that result in permanent injury. Be it hockey, football, baseball, soccer, car racing, lacrosse.

That was an unfortunate accident and I feel bad for the young player who is now paralyzed.

It saddens me to see that the police were involved.

Sports involve risk and every single player that decides to play a sport knows that there is a chance for serious injury.

I feel sad for him and his family.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
holy crap. When this was posted in the other thread I'm sure we all though - holy crap, that's dangerous and the guy COULD be paralyzed. And now he actually is.

The thing with that hit is that the player was actually aware of his forechecker and does a sort of boullion-esque (Eller sometimes, Kovalev often) dig in an push back , but the guy still ran him. It might have been better had it been closer to the boards. It's really about exactly how he went into the boards and I don't see the NHL fixing this. As mentioned, similar to brown on Gorges and equally dangerous. All they do is 5min major (and still leafs fans think it's undeserved).

On multiple shows, people have been debating the visor issue in wake of Staal's injury and i'm shocked to hear the number of people say that it should be up to the players (including bobby mac). The point isn't that you should "feel good" in your equipment. It's that you're protecting your eyesight, your life and certainly your career. I just don't get it, should NFL players not wear helmets? I'm sure they are more comfortable without them. Just make it the law and don't give them a choice so that it's not a matter of pride. Don Cherry goes on about helping hockey players and how beautiful and great they are, but then is the primary advocate for not wearing one cuz it makes you a *****. Meanwhile, fighting results in that brutal knock out of Drewznski. Makes one really think about just how dangerous those fights are if people land them. It's not just wrestling.

Anyway, that's horrible news for Keller. What else can you say?

I always found amusing that no player would play without a jock strap but many would play without a visor or even an helmet... It shows where are their priorities.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Pick any sport that involves physical exertion. You will see freak accidents that result in permanent injury. Be it hockey, football, baseball, soccer, car racing, lacrosse.

That was an unfortunate accident and I feel bad for the young player who is now paralyzed.

It saddens me to see that the police were involved.Sports involve risk and every single player that decides to play a sport knows that there is a chance for serious injury.

I feel sad for him and his family.

In many countries, it is an automatic mechanism. Every time the life of someone had been at risk, there is an investigation. It's a formality. Same thing happened for the Max Pac - Chara incident.

Clumsyhab

Feb 22, 2004
Montreal
Say what you want, I still think the guy that makes the hit should have follow Keller to the boards and hit him on the board instead of throwing a hit like that 10 feet away from the boards.

Habtchum*

Say what you want, I still think the guy that makes the hit should have follow Keller to the boards and hit him on the board instead of throwing a hit like that 10 feet away from the boards.

Mosty players nowadays, at all levels and in every league, don't know how to hit and when to hit, and don't know how to protect themselves.

+ OF COURSE, the overall lack of respect.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

That's exactly the culture that needs to be changed.

This moronic idea that somehow, the ''victim'' is somehow to be blamed because according to some fans, he ''didn't protect himself well''.
Oh well darn, he didn't protect himself well, poor technique, now he's paralyzed, oh well, life goes on, for me. Lalalalaaa Life is peachy.

Absolutely moronic.

There is no need for the guy to shove the defender in the boards, NONE.
He can slow down as he gets closer to the defender, and follow through and check him against the boards. No need to go full speed with a shoulder shove.
The point of this check is to hit hard, that's it, that's all. You want to hurt your opponent. Otherwise, the force will not be enough to actually paralyze the kid.

Freak accidents are guys sliding and cutting someone's throat with their skate. That happens, but that's why teams are equipped with very good personnel (at least in the NHL) and doctors. They can attend to that and save lives, it's been done before.
That's about the only accident. You have guys receiving pucks in the face, or high sticks to the eyes, but that's why you wear a visor. It may not protect against it 100%, but it certainly helps a lot.
As for the cuts, there's even socks that you can wear that prevent them.

This isn't an accident. The forward comes in with the clear intention of making contact. Obviously, he doesn't want to paralyze his opponent, but going for the hit is premeditated.

Who cares if the guy has what you think is ''bad technique''. It's time that the guys throwing out the hits start doing it with the consciousness that they might actually hurt someone, really, really badly.

Langdon Alger*

That would be... any hit.

It's important to note that this game was played under IIHF regulations. Just about any rule that's been proposed to improve player safety in the NHL has already been implemented in Europe - yet there's Ronny Keller, paralyzed for life. The same will be true of an NHL player eventually, and that is inevitable.

I'm not saying the NHL shouldn't take measures to prevent serious injuries, but all those measures will do is reduce the probability of these types of injuries. It's impossible to eliminate it altogether unless you ban all contact from the game.

Habtchum*

1- Teach the kids how to hit and how to receive hits.

2- Get rid of over protective, hard shelled equipment

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
I know this is going to sound bad, but it's 100% the guy who got hurt's fault. He's the one who stops three feet from the boars and initiates the contact. What's the forechecker supposed to do, just fall over?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad