OT: Help! Best nachos in Ottawa?

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Hey, I need your help.

Sounds like a stupid thread, fair enough. Here's the context: My wife has been on an insane diet since being diagnosed with breast cancer and her last radiation treatment is coming next week. To celebrate, she wants her favourite food, nachos.

So I want to take her to the place with the best nachos in Ottawa/Gatineau.

I don't eat nachos usually at restaurants so my knowledge is limited.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Man, you could make such kick ass nachos at home. I've never really had nachos in Ottawa that were more than a pile of chips, some salsa, a little cheese, some green onion and chicken/beef.

Get the thin Tostitos Cantina chips, for sure the closest to restaurant quality nacho chips you can get.

Then get a bunch of toppings: chicken/ground beef/steak/ground turkey/whatever you fancy, corn, black beans, peppers, salsa, sour cream, guacamole or straight up avocado, tons and tons of grated cheese, green onions, cilantro/parsley, hot peppers, seasoning for whatever meat you choose.

And then just load that sucker up and bake it. Guarantee your giant ass tray of nachos will be better than anything you'll have at a restaurant. And if you want to finish the whole thing off, a warm side bowl of queso dip.

That's a ****ing masterpiece, man.

And congrats to your wife man. That's so awesome. You guys must feel so lucky.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Speaking of food, does anyone know where you can find an authentic Mexican taco in Ottawa? You know like the kind you would get off a truck in CA?

Like this>>>:)

taco1.jpg

Cannot completely verify but sounds like this may be what you are looking for...www.taquerialabonita.com

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Speaking of food, does anyone know where you can find an authentic Mexican taco in Ottawa? You know like the kind you would get off a truck in CA?

taco1.jpg

"Authentic Mexican taco.. like you get in California" :laugh:

There's TacoLot, which is a semi permanent taco truck/trailer in Westboro. Never been though, it's expensive ($9 for 2 small tacos).

El Camino does have amazing fish tacos, though.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
Man, you could make such kick ass nachos at home. I've never really had nachos in Ottawa that were more than a pile of chips, some salsa, a little cheese, some green onion and chicken/beef.

Get the thin Tostitos Cantina chips, for sure the closest to restaurant quality nacho chips you can get.

Then get a bunch of toppings: chicken/ground beef/steak/ground turkey/whatever you fancy, corn, black beans, peppers, salsa, sour cream, guacamole or straight up avocado, tons and tons of grated cheese, green onions, cilantro/parsley, hot peppers, seasoning for whatever meat you choose.

And then just load that sucker up and bake it. Guarantee your giant ass tray of nachos will be better than anything you'll have at a restaurant. And if you want to finish the whole thing off, a warm side bowl of queso dip.

That's a ****ing masterpiece, man.

And congrats to your wife man. That's so awesome. You guys must feel so lucky.

No doubt we can make some at home, we've made great nachos before (she's a great cook)... It was more of celebrating after her last treatment and going out. Plus my parents are coming along.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com

taco1.jpg

I have heard of a taco truck close downtown close to Lyon or something that came out last year. Hoping it's back this year so I can finally try it. My friends told me their tacos were amazing.

Valois

Feb 12, 2012
Ottawa

taco1.jpg

Seconded Corazon de Maiz. My girlfriend is of Mexican descent from California and generally has found Ottawa Mexican food mediocre. Took her there though and she loved it.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Ive never had good tacos in Ottawa
the bets ive had have been home made.

Pubs in Ottawa suck for food because they don't care about it. Among the worst nachos is any pub anywhere in the market.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
Ive never had good tacos in Ottawa
the bets ive had have been home made.

Pubs in Ottawa suck for food because they don't care about it. Among the worst nachos is any pub anywhere in the market.

I really liked the nachos at the senate but then again I'm not a food snob

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I wanna try Burrito gringo or whatever on merivale.

Have had mucho which is meh and chipotles which is good but not in Ottawa.

There was a place in Westboro near lulu lemon that had good Mexican food, can't remember the name.

Also Hintonburger is the bomb. Their burgers are awesome.

Would go there before the works for sure.

This should turn into an all purpose off topic ottawa food thread :D that would be sweet.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
More importantly IMO what makes a good nacho?

My secret ingredient is to put a little black peeper on the cheese. It adds good seasoning.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
More importantly IMO what makes a good nacho?

My secret ingredient is to put a little black peeper on the cheese. It adds good seasoning.

For me it's a combination of the chip and the salsa.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Depends your style.

I'm a fan of the ol Mexis nachos (Mexicali Rosas), which basically were a round plate where chips were spread thing (not piled) and every chip had cheese on it. Red and green sauce on the side, with Guac and chicken etc as optional sides. Bowmans on Carling is run by former Mexi staff, and they serve them that way. But Lone Stars are good too. Felina's on Bank and also Agave on Richmond tend to do them similarly, as they too are all former Mexi people.

If you like your nachos piled up high with everything loaded at the top and a bunch of naked chips underneath, well, I can't help you. Those type of nachos are brutal IMO.

One idea is a nacho crawl. Basically, hit a few spots for a single order of nachos and a drink at each stop. Could easily do three spots. Good luck to the wife!

Couldn't agree more, the Mexis nachos were miles ahead of the rest and quite addictive.

Most of the Mexis are gone now or changed but Faleenas in the Glebe used to be part of the chain and had the great nachos. Haven't been there is awhile but maybe they still have them.They had good guacamole and margaritas too.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Every foodie on here needs to come to Montreal for the monthly food truck meet-up at Parc Olympic. Best friday evening you'll spend in the summer.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Every foodie on here needs to come to Montreal for the monthly food truck meet-up at Parc Olympic. Best friday evening you'll spend in the summer.
Last year there was a small version of it here (at St-Paul College or whatever it is called). Mostly overpriced but a few good surprises indeed.

sens613

Apr 12, 2012

Couldn't agree more, the Mexis nachos were miles ahead of the rest and quite addictive.

Most of the Mexis are gone now or changed but Faleenas in the Glebe used to be part of the chain and had the great nachos. Haven't been there is awhile but maybe they still have them.They had good guacamole and margaritas too.

The new restaurant that took over the original mexis does a few throwback Mexi items that are similar to the rest. Outside that its totally different more oysters and steaks but they have sweet tv's for watching the sens

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006

Yep, Feleena's still has the "red sauce" nachos. Pretty sure Agave on Wellington still does them too.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I just made some nachos at home. I mean, I don't know if they're the best or anything, but I'm really enjoying them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad